Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Panic buying.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There seems to be a pretty uniform view on here that stocking up is a bad idea. I’m wondering what you are all going to eat if you have to self isolate for a couple of weeks or longer. We have stocked up and will continue to replenish as it is the rational thing to do. The real panic will come from people who catch the virus and haven’t stocked up.

Online shopping?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Online shopping?

Who will be delivering your online shopping ? The extent of possible infrastructure disruption is as yet unknown. Relying on your previous routines to continue uninterrupted is brave at best. Fair few people on here looking down on people making the best rational decisions they can in the face of an entirely new situation.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Who will be delivering your online shopping ? The extent of possible infrastructure disruption is as yet unknown. Relying on your previous routines to continue uninterrupted is brave at best. Fair few people on here looking down on people making the best rational decisions they can in the face of an entirely new situation.

Each to their own. Panic buying is not the answer imo.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I suspect informal rationing is probably the answer. Some products (toilet paper) have the same demands as previously, so things should stabilise before long. Others - such as hand sanitiser - have a likely ongoing much greater demand than before, so increased manufacturing and informal rationing from shops should solve the issue, but it will take longer.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Each to their own. Panic buying is not the answer imo.

I think the point I am trying to make is that it isn’t panic. It is rational to stock up in certain situations, including illness. We are stocking up to pre-empt the panic of having to self isolate and running out of food. If everything turns out fine then we will eat the stock of frozen and non perishable food anyway. As you say though, if you think it won’t be an issue then don’t do it. I don’t share that confidence (not 100 % anyway).

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Supermarkets could put an end to the panic buying overnight if they wanted. Just don't sell a trolleyload of bog rolls to dickheads

:lolol: tell it like is is THPP

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Just spent an hour sauntering about in Lewes Town Centre and the market.
Place was packed with everyone seemingly oblivious of the danger they were in :moo:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I think the point I am trying to make is that it isn’t panic. It is rational to stock up in certain situations, including illness. We are stocking up to pre-empt the panic of having to self isolate and running out of food. If everything turns out fine then we will eat the stock of frozen and non perishable food anyway. As you say though, if you think it won’t be an issue then don’t do it. I don’t share that confidence (not 100 % anyway).

AKA panic buying........if you need to self isolate food can be delivered and left on your doorstep.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No Bog roll wash your ar.se with water then wash/sanatise your hands......not rocket science.

All this panic buying is pathetic.

If you have a bidet you don’t have to worry about no bog roll :thumbsup:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Sounds like panic buying to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here