Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Panic buying.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You seem surprised?

Yep.

I think we harbour under the perception that the stiff upper lip is a British thing. In fact, it never existed and we suffer from the same human weaknesses you’ll find all around the western world. We’re in thrall to the popular media (and I include social media platforms) and the majority of people are selfish and would never put society or others above themselves.

I was in Redhill hospital this weekend and a queue had formed in Boots Chemists. A junior doctor was at the back of the queue with me. He got paged. He was trying to buy a sandwich and a coke. So he went to the front of the queue and asked the girl serving if he could take the items and come back and pay. She said no, and I’m sure this happened a lot and it’s just policy. What truly amazed me was that he had to go back to the back of the queue. I had to ask everyone at the front of the queue if they wouldn’t mind him going second. Nobody at the front had offered their place. When asked, they gave up their place, but they didn’t think to offer. Sadly, that’s a microcosm of everyday society - not heroes in a crisis I.e. storms etc - but when you look at the behaviour of the majority, we’re all c*nts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Yep.

I think we harbour under the perception that the stiff upper lip is a British thing. In fact, it never existed and we suffer from the same human weaknesses you’ll find all around the western world. We’re in thrall to the popular media (and I include social media platforms) and the majority of people are selfish and would never put society or others above themselves.

I was in Redhill hospital this weekend and a queue had formed in Boots Chemists. A junior doctor was at the back of the queue with me. He got paged. He was trying to buy a sandwich and a coke. So he went to the front of the queue and asked the girl serving if he could take the items and come back and pay. She said no, and I’m sure this happened a lot and it’s just policy. What truly amazed me was that he had to go back to the back of the queue. I had to ask everyone at the front of the queue if they wouldn’t mind him going second. Nobody at the front had offered their place. When asked, they gave up their place, but they didn’t think to offer. Sadly, that’s a microcosm of everyday society - not heroes in a crisis I.e. storms etc - but when you look at the behaviour of the majority, we’re all c*nts.

I've said it a million times on here, the general public are generally morons.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Panic selling for a change now, stock markets in freefall, FTSE down 8.60% this morning.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yep.

Indeed, this is illustrated by the majority most weeks at Falmer station post-match.

All civilised and full of decorum 'til the choo-choo appears. 'Let the elderly and kids on, no panic, plenty of room' goes the cry.

Then, 2 seconds later, a push akin to a fresh delivery of bog rolls at Asda takes place.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
That´s what my friends who live in Australia told me - and having lived there 8 years I have a few! I´m sure you´re right, but once a rumour spreads...

225EE897-CED3-4BBB-8252-A18F8638D7FF.png

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yep.

I was in Redhill hospital this weekend and a queue had formed in Boots Chemists. A junior doctor was at the back of the queue with me. He got paged. He was trying to buy a sandwich and a coke. So he went to the front of the queue and asked the girl serving if he could take the items and come back and pay. She said no, and I’m ooo sure this happened a lot and it’s just policy. What truly amazed me was that he had to go back to the back of the queue. I had to ask everyone at the front of the queue if they wouldn’t mind him going second. Nobody at the front had offered their place. When asked, they gave up their place, but they didn’t think to offer. Sadly, that’s a microcosm of everyday society - not heroes in a crisis I.e. storms etc - but when you look at the behaviour of the majority, we’re all c*nts.

Unless they can photograph it for Facebook or Instantwat, why bother? Form my experience the British have become one of the most self serving, self interested nations on the planet.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Maybe its time to move to left hand, soap and water. When you think about it, its a lot cleaner anyway...

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I'm self isolating today btw..

Meanwhile back in the real world.
I've just walked past a school with loads of parents and their kids. Got on a bendy bus packed with students. Now I'm going to spend the day with my old mum. Only to do the same journey back this afternoon. Saw one young girl student with a face mask.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Panic selling for a change now, stock markets in freefall, FTSE down 8.60% this morning.

Started over a week ago. Saudi and Russia fighting over their corrupt OPEC price. Saudi pumping out extra cheap oil. Russia can't supply at those prices. Oil plummeting. Stock markets reacting. don't expect cheap petrol.
The world is entering a huge recession and the Far Right will take over.............

.............and relax!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've just walked past a school with loads of parents and their kids. Got on a bendy bus packed with students. Now I'm going to spend the day with my old mum. Only to do the same journey back this afternoon. Saw one young girl student with a face mask.

Quite. You read the news and then look up expecting so see some kind of Walking Dead scene. But no, just regular folks bobbling about.

I’m trying to figure out what the motive behind this deliberately cultivated atmosphere of apocalyptic fear might be. But you can end up going down a crazy CT road of government control etc.

Mind you, the measures China have brought in through the back door of Corona virus are genuinely frightening and if their recent past is anything to go by, they won’t be retracted after the fuss dies down. Temperature scanning to allow you into your “dwelling compound”. Colours representing infection risk being assigned to people and randomly changing for people travel to western countries.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm now at blatchington mill school [emoji849]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Started over a week ago. Saudi and Russia fighting over their corrupt OPEC price. Saudi pumping out extra cheap oil. Russia can't supply at those prices. Oil plummeting. Stock markets reacting. don't expect cheap petrol.
The world is entering a huge recession and the Far Right will take over.............

.............and relax!

Yes, I have been watching the share prices tumble, but usually only 2-3 % a day..... don't worry too much, once we get Brexit done.....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Supermarkets deliver groceries to your door.
Maybe its time to move to left hand, soap and water. When you think about it, its a lot cleaner anyway...
It is the way forward although no soap needed if you install an Asian style 'bum gun' available on Amazon. Drastically reduces the amount of paper used.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
We’re in thrall to the popular media (and I include social media platforms) and the majority of people are selfish and would never put society or others above themselves....................

Sadly, that’s a microcosm of everyday society - not heroes in a crisis I.e. storms etc - but when you look at the behaviour of the majority, we’re all c*nts.

As Yossarian said in Catch 22

"From now on I'm thinking only of me."
Major Danby replied indulgently with a superior smile: "But, Yossarian, suppose everyone felt that way."
"Then," said Yossarian, "I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?"

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Now this is getting ridiculous! Now the plebs have cleared out the dried pasta from the shelves they have moved on to the plain white uncle Ben's microwave rice. Went to buy some today and totally cleared out but bizarrely plenty of the fancy flavoured ones.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Panic buyers should be shot. All produce reclaimed and evenly distributed to those in need.

Although I don't think there's been a dysentery outbreak anywhere locally ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here