Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Etonians' Annual Gaudy

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Won't work or can't work ? How do you know ?
[MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION] is absolutely spot on when he talks about benefits as a source of divide and rule. So it really doesn't matter whether as laymen we know the extent of this problem or not, it should be a cross party policy to weed out and punish abusers of the benefits system, and they should just get on with it and not bang on about it at every single Tory party conference as if it is something new.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
[MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION] is absolutely spot on when he talks about benefits as a source of divide and rule. So it really doesn't matter whether as laymen we know the extent of this problem or not, it should be a cross party policy to weed out and punish abusers of the benefits system, and they should just get on with it and not bang on about it at every single Tory party conference as if it is something new.

That bollocks yesterday about the guy getting up for work at 530am and seeing his neighbours curtains closed etc, didn't they think that shift worker may have been on a late shift so only just got in ? True garbage but some get suckered in by it

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

Simster, I agree every bit of that.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Can some some of the drum bangers for these clowns explain to me how the proposals to allow people to sign away their employment rights in return for tax free shares in their companies will help anyone singularly and the country as a whole please?

Thank you

It won't make a stroke of difference to help anyone except the employer, who can now shift 100% of his jobs overseas with impunity.......... The fact is, as we all know, that shares can be worth nothing if the stock market wills it to be so. You are effectively being given an 'I Owe U' in return for allowing yourself to be forced to do whatever the employer wants - I believe in certain societies it's referred to as 'slavery'. Now you might have been bribed rather than imprisoned in chains, to become a 'slave', but the fact remains that you will have become a slave to your employer.

The real irony is that by allowing the employer to shift those jobs overseas means we are even more screwed than we were before. What will happen is that those jobs will be replaced with ones that are poorer paid, and have fewer benefits/perks like pensions etc, because the policy will attract the kind of employer who ROUTINELY shifts his business from place to place to keep his costs low (such as when GM had to choose between Bochum and Ellesmere Port and chose Ellesmere Port because UK workers decided to work harder for no increase in pay - it basically chose the cheapest worker) - it WON'T attract employers or investors with a wish to become a 'stakeholder' in UK PLC, those sorts of people are usually born here anyway, but for the most part, it will be someone who see's the UK as a place where costs of employment (principally wages) are less than anywhere else, particularly India or China. It's going to result in a race to the bottom for sure. It doesn't cost anything to lay off Indian or Chinese workers, and with this policy, it won't cost anything to lay off UK workers either. There will be a few industry sectors where transport costs outweigh labour costs and so those areas will benefit (mainly heavy industries), but if you want to become a nation with a pooly paid workforce and long working hours, then this is the way to go.

It is very much a return to John Major's 'Victorian Values' - all the wrong ones however.

Last edited:

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
It won't make a stroke of difference to help anyone except the employer, who can now shift 100% of his jobs overseas with impunity.......... The fact is, as we all know, that shares can be worth nothing if the stock market wills it to be so. You are effectively being given an 'I Owe U' in return for allowing yourself to be forced to do whatever the employer wants - I believe in certain societies it's referred to as 'slavery'. Now you might have been bribed rather than imprisoned in chains, to become a 'slave', but the fact remains that you will have become a slave to your employer.

It is very much a return to John Major's 'Victorian Values' - all the wrong ones however.

Again; its good but not what I was looking for.

Where is a political heavyweight like Seagull58 when you need him?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Trouble is neither main party has had any significant degree of success with this, and yes I know the Tories have been banging on about it;but when they do,it is interesting to hear some of our default lefties on this board throw their hands up in horror.What would they do if Ed their 'man of the people' came out with the same stuff............be OK then I suppose!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Quite likely.

I love this...

"...Alastair Campbell tweeted that “Osborne was nicknamed ‘Oik’ by his Etonian Bullingdon pals because he ‘only went to St Paul’s’” but the anecdote has a second part. When the Chancellor was at Oxford he joined an elite club that David Cameron had joined before him. As a new boy, ‘Oiky’ was held upside down by a fellow member. “What are you?” the Bullingdon bully roared. Every time he got the answer wrong, Osborne’s head hit the floor. After several wrong answers and some cranial bruising, so the legend goes, Osborne worked out the confession that would release him. “I am,” he cried, “a despicable c***.”

Do you seriously believe the lies and propoganda churned out by that odious C**T Campbell? Author of the dodgy dossier that took us to war, no less.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Agreed. I'm afraid I am rather intolerant of old Tory toffs such as Gideon Osbourne and Call Me Dave.

I've seen and heard enough of the same old arguments to make up my mind who I'd rather be running the country and it isn't people like them.

Here we go again. Why not let Labour bankrupt the country once more? After all, they're pretty f***ing good at it now.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Fully agree with this. One point though, housing benefit is now paid to the tenant, not the landlord.

Indeed, and my tenant has chosen not to pass it on to me for the past 2 months because I have given her notice to leave. I can't get housing benefit paid direct until she is more than 2 months behind on the rent, by which time, hopefully, she will be out and then I have to take legal action to recover the back rent, which she was getting all the time from the Council.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Trouble is neither main party has had any significant degree of success with this, and yes I know the Tories have been banging on about it;but when they do,it is interesting to hear some of our default lefties on this board throw their hands up in horror.What would they do if Ed their 'man of the people' came out with the same stuff............be OK then I suppose!
Straw man argument. It isn't the Labour party who bang the benefit cheats drum ad-nauseum at *every* conference. And yes there are people on the left who consider benefits cuts an attack on the weak, but as I say NOBODY is against clamping down on benefit fraud, so just get on with it and stop talking about it at the Tory party conference.

And you said it, neither party has had any success in this area - time to ensure there is cross party policy on tackling the problem, as there was with the Olympics, and presumably is on drug running.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Straw man argument. It isn't the Labour party who bang the benefit cheats drum ad-nauseum at *every* conference. And yes there are people on the left who consider benefits cuts an attack on the weak, but as I say NOBODY is against clamping down on benefit fraud, so just get on with it and stop talking about it at the Tory party conference.

And you said it, neither party has had any success in this area - time to ensure there is cross party policy on tackling the problem, as there was with the Olympics, and presumably is on drug running.

Harrumph............'.Straw man argument'..............Simmo,what does that mean?Pray enlighten me!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Again; its good but not what I was looking for.

Where is a political heavyweight like Seagull58 when you need him?

I haven't heard the detail of the policy but I have been offered company share options in the past with 3 year and 7 year vesting. I stayed with the company past the 3 year term and the share price had grown more than 100% from the option price. Very far from "worthless" even when there were hundreds, if not thousands, of people getting the options. I can't really see why you're slagging off the opportunity to get a stake in the company you work for and to be rewarded with a tax-free payout (if that's what it is) if the company does well and the share price increases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here