Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Etonians' Annual Gaudy

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Indeed, and my tenant has chosen not to pass it on to me for the past 2 months because I have given her notice to leave. I can't get housing benefit paid direct until she is more than 2 months behind on the rent, by which time, hopefully, she will be out and then I have to take legal action to recover the back rent, which she was getting all the time from the Council.

Only a nasty old benefit claimant would not pay their rent obviously. All tenants not on housing benefit pay there rent in full, when its due, without fail.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Only a nasty old benefit claimant would not pay their rent obviously. All tenants not on housing benefit pay there rent in full, when its due, without fail.

I didn't say that and it is not the case so don't twist what I said. She was falling behind with the rent within 3 months of moving in despite, supposedly, earning 40K+. After 7 or 8 months she started to get housing benefit and because she was more than 2 months behind the benefit was paid direct to me. As soon as she, almost, caught up with the back rent the benefit payments were redirected to her and never reached me. The point I was making, which I would hope you would not find issue with, is if the tenant is receiving housing benefit to pay the rent it should be paid to the landlord. I will add, because no doubt you think I am a rich toff landlord, that I am livng and renting in South Africa, costing me ZAR7,000 a month rent (about 500 quid at the current exchange rate), I own only 1 house (2 bedroomed mid-terrace), which she is living in, and I have to fund a daughter at University and a son doing his A levels. I CANNOT afford for this woman to squat in my house for free.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I didn't say that and it is not the case so don't twist what I said. She was falling behind with the rent within 3 months of moving in despite, supposedly, earning 40K+. After 7 or 8 months she started to get housing benefit and because she was more than 2 months behind the benefit was paid direct to me. As soon as she, almost, caught up with the back rent the benefit payments were redirected to her and never reached me. The point I was making, which I would hope you would not find issue with, is if the tenant is receiving housing benefit to pay the rent it should be paid to the landlord. I will add, because no doubt you think I am a rich toff landlord, that I am livng and renting in South Africa, costing me ZAR7,000 a month rent (about 500 quid at the current exchange rate), I own only 1 house (2 bedroomed mid-terrace), which she is living in, and I have to fund a daughter at University and a son doing his A levels. I CANNOT afford for this woman to squat in my house for free.

So even although the individual is entitled to receive the benefit they should have no right to actually receive it?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Ed Miliband needs to get rid of Balls and Cooper soon and really take it to them. They have lost their mandate to govern in my eyes.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
So even although the individual is entitled to receive the benefit they should have no right to actually receive it?
Not if they're mis-using it no, twenty years ago I was made redundant so I rented my flat out and moved in with my dad , The tenants who were somali asylum seekers received the housing benefit direct, I didnt see a f***ing penny for four months and had to cover the mortgage myself out of my redundo money.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Not if they're mis-using it no, twenty years ago I was made redundant so I rented my flat out and moved in with my dad , The tenants who were somali asylum seekers received the housing benefit direct, I didnt see a f***ing penny for four months and had to cover the mortgage myself out of my redundo money.

I didnt really want to get into the ins and outs of the housing benefit system as this thread isnt about that.

I could do but I wont.

It also isnt about asylum seekers so I dont intend to enter into a discussion about that either.

My question, as regards housing benefit at least, has been answered though so thanks.

Not by who I asked it to but never mind I suspect the answer would have been similar.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I didnt really want to get into the ins and outs of the housing benefit system as this thread isnt about that.

I could do but I wont.

It also isnt about asylum seekers so I dont intend to enter into a discussion about that either.

My question, as regards housing benefit at least, has been answered though so thanks.

Not by who I asked it to but never mind I suspect the answer would have been similar.
Ok, forget all the " contentious" parts of my post , why do you have such a problem with housing benefit being paid direct to landlords ?

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Ok, forget all the " contentious" parts of my post , why do you have such a problem with housing benefit being paid direct to landlords ?

I refer you to my previous post: 'I didnt really want to get into the ins and outs of the housing benefit system as this thread isnt about that'.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

She receives the benefit to pay the rent. Don't you agree that the rent should be paid with the money that is received from the Council as Housing Allowance or do you ,perhaps, believe that she shoudl be free to spend the money any way she wants (or not spend it at all) even though it is specifically allocated to pay for her housing?

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

I could do but I wont.

Housing benefit, whether paid direct to a landlord or to the tenant, should be used to pay the rent. Surely, you cannot possibly disagree? If the tenant is receiving the benefit but not paying the rent then the rent should bypass the tenant and go direct to the landlord. In which case, why not pay it direct to the landlord in every case?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I haven't heard the detail of the policy but I have been offered company share options in the past with 3 year and 7 year vesting. I stayed with the company past the 3 year term and the share price had grown more than 100% from the option price. Very far from "worthless" even when there were hundreds, if not thousands, of people getting the options. I can't really see why you're slagging off the opportunity to get a stake in the company you work for and to be rewarded with a tax-free payout (if that's what it is) if the company does well and the share price increases.

Well, Tubby Mondays, do you disagree with what I posted above?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If the tenant isn't paying the rent on-time I have no problem with them being evicted, but if there is going to be a reduction in housing benefit, so that say under 25's aren't going to get any, shouldn't landlords be more concerned that there are simply going to be fewer people looking for properties to rent, and there is already a glut of properties available to choose from - it's just that no-one can afford them.

This is where the supply and demand argument comes in - if a landlord demands a level of rent that requires someone to claim housing benefit, then it's not the tenant who's greedy, it's the landlord. At the end of the day, everyone who's tax contributes to that housing benefit is lining the pocket of the private landlord, and that's just as bad as using benefits funded by taxpayers to line the claimants pocket. Once the Govt pull-up the rope ladder that is housing benefit then realistically the private rental market will have to realign itself to expect less rent, or have even more properties standing empty.

Having tenants who don't pay rent on time is an occupational hazard of being a landlord, maybe you'd have been better advised selling the house rather than letting it out, with the proceeds going to help towards your sons and daughters education, and the purchase of a house in South Africa - obviously the in's and out's are your affair but if you are prepared to commit to a job in South Africa rather than one in the UK (and in anyones book that is a big committment) it does suggest that you're not planning on returning to the UK anytime soon, and that the house in the UK is something that you don't really need right now.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If the tenant isn't paying the rent on-time I have no problem with them being evicted, but if there is going to be a reduction in housing benefit, so that say under 25's aren't going to get any, shouldn't landlords be more concerned that there are simply going to be fewer people looking for properties to rent, and there is already a glut of properties available to choose from - it's just that no-one can afford them.

This is where the supply and demand argument comes in - if a landlord demands a level of rent that requires someone to claim housing benefit, then it's not the tenant who's greedy, it's the landlord. At the end of the day, everyone who's tax contributes to that housing benefit is lining the pocket of the private landlord, and that's just as bad as using benefits funded by taxpayers to line the claimants pocket. Once the Govt pull-up the rope ladder that is housing benefit then realistically the private rental market will have to realign itself to expect less rent, or have even more properties standing empty.

Having tenants who don't pay rent on time is an occupational hazard of being a landlord, maybe you'd have been better advised selling the house rather than letting it out, with the proceeds going to help towards your sons and daughters education, and the purchase of a house in South Africa - obviously the in's and out's are your affair but if you are prepared to commit to a job in South Africa rather than one in the UK (and in anyones book that is a big committment) it does suggest that you're not planning on returning to the UK anytime soon, and that the house in the UK is something that you don't really need right now.

There are a number of reasons why I would not wish to sell my house in the UK; maintaining a base that I can return to, providing a home for my children if needed in the future, long-term investment, generating a monthly income in sterling to pay UK bills and eliminate currency fluctuations etc.etc.
My tenant is receiving 690 per month towrds a rent of 800 per month. What level of rent do you suggest would avoid the need for her to get housing benefit? 110 per month for a 2 bedroomed house? Are you seriously suggesting it is greedy to ask 800 per month for a 2 bedroomed house in Horsham? That is approximately 4.4% annual return on capital.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tory backslapping!

William Hague stumbling over the introduction of CMD. Nicky Campbell did a good interview with Hague on radio 5. Asked Hague why CMD was calling the Police liars regarding Mitchell? Now the anti plod brigade will immediately refer to the South Yorkshire mob and rightly so but fact is Cameron is calling the Police liars because he believes Mitchell over them. Let's not forget, the liars that Cameron is referring to by implication are the very ones who are guarding his front door!!!!

Wonder how his speech will go.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We are better together! We will rise together! and let us fight that referendum with everything we have got :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here