Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Etonians' Annual Gaudy

D

Deleted member 22389

Osborne is a cock,

HOWEVER, reducing benefits to those people who have no interest in working is surely a good idea.

there are plenty of people in our society who need and deserve MORE from the State,(the disabled, elderly, infirm etc.) however there are PLENTY who at the moment are quite capable of helping themselves but simply refuse to, as life is 'ok' for them by living off a combination of Housing Benefit, Jobseekers,council tax credit, Child tax credit etc etc. these people are a drain on those who really need it, and deserve it.

Exactly. People who can't be bothered to work, have never worked, are able to work still sponging off the state.

It's not on, its not fair and after all these years I am so glad they are talking about it, and starting to do something about it. For far too long the wrong people have been getting benefits.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly. People who can't be bothered to work, have never worked, are able to work still sponging off the state. It's not on, its not fair and after all these years I am so glad they are starting to tackle. What
*sigh*. Making YET ANOTHER speech at the Tory conference decrying benefit spongers does not mean they are "starting to tackle" the problem. The Tories have NEVER tackled this problem properly and I'll bet there will be no change on this government's watch.

D

Deleted member 22389

There are a number of reasons why I would not wish to sell my house in the UK; maintaining a base that I can return to, providing a home for my children if needed in the future, long-term investment, generating a monthly income in sterling to pay UK bills and eliminate currency fluctuations etc.etc.
My tenant is receiving 690 per month towrds a rent of 800 per month. What level of rent do you suggest would avoid the need for her to get housing benefit? 110 per month for a 2 bedroomed house? Are you seriously suggesting it is greedy to ask 800 per month for a 2 bedroomed house in Horsham? That is approximately 4.4% annual return on capital.

I say fair play for getting this rent, but I would like to know, in what other country would someone get such a large proportion of their rent paid by the government. 690.00 quid is a lot of money to be handing out.

I understand people fall on bad times, but is it any wonder this country is in such a bad state financially when we are handing out benefits like this.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Line 1 Rule 1 of being a Conservative - it is not where you come from that counts... it is where you are going :thumbsup:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Two million of the lowest-paid workers being taken out of income tax altogether. Over eighteen million households helped with a freeze in their council tax.

FACT

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Thanks to the GRIP and RESOLVE of George Osbourne... over 1,000,000 new jobs have been created in the private sector. More in TWO years than Labour managed in TEN years :thumbsup:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Setting aside the fact the fact that you have attributed a quote that called them 'worthless' to me, my question was 'can someone explain to me how this policy would benefit any individual and the country'.

I can't really see why you're slagging off the opportunity to get a stake in the company you work for and to be rewarded with a tax-free payout (if that's what it is) if the company does well and the share price increases. Its an incentive to help the company peform and to receive an additional tax-free incomeif it does so. Good for the individual, good for the company and good for the economy.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Two million of the lowest-paid workers being taken out of income tax altogether. Over eighteen million households helped with a freeze in their council tax.

FACT

And how many would there have been had the there been a Conservative government rather than a coalition? Not quite sure how CMD can, hand on heart, take credit for that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can't really see why you're slagging off the opportunity to get a stake in the company you work for and to be rewarded with a tax-free payout (if that's what it is) if the company does well and the share price increases. Its an incentive to help the company peform and to receive an additional tax-free incomeif it does so. Good for the individual, good for the company and good for the economy.

Most people employed in the country are in small businesses so how many of those owners are going to be willing to dilute their income. The only employers that would benefit from the system would be those that are bad at their job.

D

Deleted member 22389

We might not agree with The Tories, but compare Cameron's speech to that pathetic attempt by Milliband. The only words I got from his speech where One Nation.
I don't like The Tories, but I would rather have them in charge than Labour any day.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I say fair play for getting this rent, but I would like to know, in what other country would someone get such a large proportion of their rent paid by the government. 690.00 quid is a lot of money to be handing out.

I understand people fall on bad times, but is it any wonder this country is in such a bad state financially when we are handing out benefits like this.

I don't disagree and when I took the tenant on I was given references and assurances that she was able to pay the rent out of her own income. It wa sonly after 9 months that she started to receive housing benefit and I have no knowledge of the factors behind that decision.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
No family will get more in benefits than the average family earns :thumbsup:

Thing is, they don't anyway, do they? Whenever you hear that tens of thousands are going to this or that family in benefits, it turns out that most of the sum is going straight to the landlord.

This is a stupid policy built on a simplistic argument.

What about housing supply? Rent control? Etc

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
And here's an interesting blog on the whole 'it's not fair that some people get benefits and don't get up early' nonsense:

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2012/10/in-defence-of-idleness.html

It basically says that our obsession with freeloaders is a throwback to the environment humans evolved for - when our tribes struggled to have enough to eat, so everyone needed to pull their weight. And that loads of the jobs around now don't make life any better for anyone.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Most people employed in the country are in small businesses so how many of those owners are going to be willing to dilute their income. The only employers that would benefit from the system would be those that are bad at their job.

I really don't see that. The basic premise of sharing in the ownership and success of the company seems to work very well for W.L Gore and for John Lewis. Why would an employer have to be bad at his job to benefit from giving employees a stake in the company and sharing in the growth and profits?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here