Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Etonians' Annual Gaudy

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I'm not asserting anything, just trying to ascertain what people expect the government to do and how. People are quick to criticise the government but I can't help thinking that they have misunderstood what governments role is, and their capabilities are. It is only the private sector that can create the jobs that will pull this country out of this economic mess, the government needs to promote this and provide the right environment.

But we have been told in this thread - as a fact no less - that this government has created 1,000,000 jobs in the private sector.

What we have also been told is that 91% of the housing benefit caseload is in employment. Which would seem to suggest that not the 'right' type of jobs are being created i.e full time.

We have also learnt on this thread that the 'right environment' for creating jobs is apparently making it easier to sack people from them.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
As I said, why should they not inform me whethershe is still receiving housing benefit if she is renting my house? Reasonable question to ask if I am no longer getting paid rent. No need fo rthem to tell me the ins and outs of her personal circumstances, simply tell me Yes she is receiving housing benefit or No she isnt.
Council Tax and Overdraft are completely different, nothing to do with the rental payment. I was informed she was receiving housing benefit, which is specifically to pay the rent, and I was receiving the rent. Then the rent stopped. Why should they withhold the information as to whether the housing benefit has stopped?

I used Council Tax and Overdraft as examples as they are the same in that they involve your personal information which you would, quite rightly, not want sharing with another party for whatever reason.

Your tenant also has the right for her personal information not to be shared with another party.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
But we have been told in this thread - as a fact no less - that this government has created 1,000,000 jobs in the private sector.

What we have also been told is that 91% of the housing benefit caseload is in employment. Which would seem to suggest that not the 'right' type of jobs are being created i.e full time.

We have also learnt on this thread that the 'right environment' for creating jobs is apparently making it easier to sack people from them.
What we have also learnt in this thread is that you, like me , cant use multi-quote!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
No government creates private sector jobs. The private sector does.

Indeed. Government can only help create the environment in which it can happen.

IMHO the more interesting bit of the Cameron comment, considering the golden economic legacy, 3G license sales, world-wide economic growth, sales of gold assets etc... was "more in TWO years than Labour managed in TEN years".

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Indeed. Government can only help create the environment in which it can happen.

IMHO the more interesting bit of the Cameron comment, considering the golden economic legacy, 3G license sales, world-wide economic growth, sales of gold assets etc... was "more in TWO years than Labour managed in TEN years".
Yes but fewer jobs needed to be created under Labour, because levels of unemployment were lower under Labour than it is under the Conservatives. As always.

And I find it amusing that you talk about the "golden economic legacy" that Labour apparently enjoyed. I remember what happened under Thatcher when North Sea Oil was discovered. All that free money frittered away to pay for benefits for the record numbers of unemployed people. At least some of the money was being spent wisely under Blair - schools were MILES better for my kids than under Thatcher when I was a kid!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
When I read the facts about who is claiming housing benefit there can be only one conclusion, that the rents are too high or wages too low. No one in full time employment should need to claim any kind of housing benefits as their wage should be suffice, that it is not sums it up.

Rents are a reflection of house prices,which are still grossly overvalued on the basis of average price to average wages.The scandal of house prices in this country has, and continues to cause a lot of grief for a lot of people.House prices are being kept higher than they should be 'cos the Government and banks would be in deep shit if they dropped too fast.
Nice idea that no-one in full time employment should need to claim any kind of housing benefit,but see my view above.
I look forward to the time when the younger generation can buy a home(as opposed to an investment/cash cow) without saddling themselves with ludicrous amounts of debt.It will happen,but more slowly than I would like.

Dandyman

In London village.
No government creates private sector jobs. The private sector does.

Up to a point. Government spending can create a stimulus for private industry. If for example the government decided to support a programme of Council house building, more small community schools and infrastructure projects then that would provide commercial opportunities and employment for private industry.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
If the government doesn't do anything why is everyone blaming Gordon Brown for the previous recession?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Up to a point. Government spending can create a stimulus for private industry. If for example the government decided to support a programme of Council house building, more small community schools and infrastructure projects then that would provide commercial opportunities and employment for private industry.

Very true.

A new Hospital, or school, would mean local suppliers/contractors getting work.

Dandyman

In London village.
According to a section in today's Times, 53% of households receive more benefits than they pay in taxation.

Surely everyone receives more income (including rent, dividends, etc) than they pay in tax ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Surely everyone receives more income (including rent, dividends, etc) than they pay in tax ?

Of course, it shows the potential catastrophe of cutting benefits across the board when so many households, seemingly, rely on them. Also, the enormity of the challenge to sift through who dearly need such levels of them and who does not.

Dandyman

In London village.
Of course, it shows the potential catastrophe of cutting benefits across the board when so many households, seemingly, rely on them. Also, the enormity of the challenge to sift through who dearly need such levels of them and who does not.

Quite agree.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Excellent point. Now go away and work out how many of these 1,000,000 jobs were created as a result of government led improvements to infrastructure. Seem to recall that one of the first things they did was cancel the school building project which has yet to be reactivated?

With regard to these 1,000,000 jobs, has anyone done any analysis of exactly what they are, ie how many are full time and how many part time. What wage brackets do they fall into? How many are manual or skilled, how many are service industry etc etc. Someone somewhere must have worked it out?

Dandyman

In London village.
Excellent point. Now go away and work out how many of these 1,000,000 jobs were created as a result of government led improvements to infrastructure. Seem to recall that one of the first things they did was cancel the school building project which has yet to be reactivated?

With regard to these 1,000,000 jobs, has anyone done any analysis of exactly what they are, ie how many are full time and how many part time. What wage brackets do they fall into? How many are manual or skilled, how many are service industry etc etc. Someone somewhere must have worked it out?

There is some stuff here: Labour Market Statistics, September 2012

In general of course, Tories of Cameron's ilk favour unemployment as a method of intimidating working people, lowering wages and increasing profits for their pals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here