Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Etonians' Annual Gaudy

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I wasnt looking to validate you statement so dont get the arse if you cant have a debate properly.

Quite clearly something has 'gone wrong' with her life between her taking on your property and now. The council are obviously right not to tell you about her claim. She probably should have told you that she was going to claim housing benefit as you would be affected. Obviously she didnt but there could be many reasons why she didnt do this, as with why she wont discuss it with you. As you are owed money I can understand why you would rather the benefit be paid to you and not to her.

I didnt get the arse at all. Simply laid out the sketchy information I have managed to glean, which cannot really be called knowledge and aksed whether that was sufficient to validate my statement that I have no lnowledge of her situation. I realise it's difficult to accurately read emotion from a post but I can assure you I was not wound up. If I had said "Is that enough ****ing information to validate my statement, you ****" I would have been getting the arse.
You state that the council is obviously right not to tell me about her claim. Why is that so? If I have been informed that she is receiving housing benefit to pay the rent but the rent is not being paid why should the council not tell me the status of the housing benefit?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If the aim is to increase engagement, the two halves of the proposal cancel each other out. If as an employer you have a problem with unfair dismissals, you need to improve management – that's what the government should be giving incentives for.There is nothing in the OECD figures to show a correlation between low employment protection and high economic performance. Rather, the reverse: greater protection seems to go with better economic performance.

If employees are feeling helpless and worried about their jobs, that is what they are likely to concentrate on rather than customers or quality. Fear destroys trust, which is a key component of any good workplace. Comparing the UK economy with the US is clearly not comapring like for like, but if you want to go down that road; in Japan companies are doing their best to protect employment and strengthen employee relations.

Hmmm, the Japanese economy. The stock market still less than half the value it was in 1989, interest rates close to zero and still unable to stimulate consumer demand and boost the economy, hundreds of thousands of jobs offshored to Korea, China and Taiwan, very high house prices, very high land prices.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I can't really see why you're slagging off the opportunity to get a stake in the company you work for and to be rewarded with a tax-free payout (if that's what it is) if the company does well and the share price increases. Its an incentive to help the company peform and to receive an additional tax-free incomeif it does so. Good for the individual, good for the company and good for the economy.

the idea needs a good slagging off because its simply a daft idea. lets first point out that share ownership is good for incentivising employees, and is already in widespread use, so its not about providing shares to employees.

what this is about is swapping employment rights for equity and it has many flaws. companies or organisations without shares wouldn't be able to take advantage. companies with unlisted share capital will be unable to provide a market for the shares, so how does a company or employee value unlisted shares? instead of tribunal for dismisal, they'll be share valuation tribunal in the event of disputes. start up companies will have no value and are unlikly to be wanting to dish out large amounts of their equity anyway.

some of the rights are enshrined in EU law, so a big hurdle there. would you have the right to opt back in to rights or is it one way? companies could manipulate financials to encourage adoption if it is. what happens if you're offered a new job subject to accepting the share for rights offer? opens up discrimination cases for those that refuse. will companies sack and re-employ their work force to shift everyone on to the scheme? your HR will have to keep track of whose opted out of rights and which ones. in the end you realise it doesnt help the aim of reducing admin and red tape for many of the reasons above.

its really quite worrying, Osborne has had all summer to come up with something and this was it? its like a 6th form politics/economics essay for an idea thats not really been thought out to how it would work in practice. C-. the only impressive thing about it is it wasnt leaked. it would have been much easier and sensible to propose relaxing some employment rights for small companies (where some legislation strangles growth) or employer NI holiday for first year or two for start ups, and other ideas along that vein.

Last edited:

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I didnt get the arse at all. Simply laid out the sketchy information I have managed to glean, which cannot really be called knowledge and aksed whether that was sufficient to validate my statement that I have no lnowledge of her situation. I realise it's difficult to accurately read emotion from a post but I can assure you I was not wound up. If I had said "Is that enough ****ing information to validate my statement, you ****" I would have been getting the arse.
You state that the council is obviously right not to tell me about her claim. Why is that so? If I have been informed that she is receiving housing benefit to pay the rent but the rent is not being paid why should the council not tell me the status of the housing benefit?

Are you joking? Why SHOULD they tell you about her personal circumstances and finances? If I rang up and asked if you owed any council tax or if I rang your bank and asked if you were overdrawn would you be happy?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
93% of housing benifit is paid to those in work. Why should we the tax payer subsidise big business?

where does this stupid logic come from? anyway if you must use this argument, please ensure to apply it to all small businesses too and also take consideration of all the businesses that have direct government subsidy such as rail, defence, energy.

its really quite worrying, Osborne has had all summer to come up with something and this was it? its like a 6th form politics/economics essay for an idea thats not really been thought out to how it would work in practice. C-. the only impressive thing about it is it wasnt leaked.

Surely this is not a surprise to you?

Camicus

where does this stupid logic come from? anyway if you must use this argument, please ensure to apply it to all small businesses too and also take consideration of all the businesses that have direct government subsidy such as rail, defence, energy.

My point being that as HB spending is out of control pay people a living wage so that they dont need rent assistance when working or make it so those in work cannot get HB and watch rents tumble

I dont know Norman didnt tell us that bit.

I you trying to assert that there are no jobs and that none can be created?

I'm not asserting anything, just trying to ascertain what people expect the government to do and how. People are quick to criticise the government but I can't help thinking that they have misunderstood what governments role is, and their capabilities are. It is only the private sector that can create the jobs that will pull this country out of this economic mess, the government needs to promote this and provide the right environment.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Are you joking? Why SHOULD they tell you about her personal circumstances and finances? If I rang up and asked if you owed any council tax or if I rang your bank and asked if you were overdrawn would you be happy?

As I said, why should they not inform me whethershe is still receiving housing benefit if she is renting my house? Reasonable question to ask if I am no longer getting paid rent. No need fo rthem to tell me the ins and outs of her personal circumstances, simply tell me Yes she is receiving housing benefit or No she isnt.
Council Tax and Overdraft are completely different, nothing to do with the rental payment. I was informed she was receiving housing benefit, which is specifically to pay the rent, and I was receiving the rent. Then the rent stopped. Why should they withhold the information as to whether the housing benefit has stopped?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here