Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Etonians' Annual Gaudy

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If you look beyond the politcial mud slinging the only solution to reducing the housing benefit bill is as follows: build more affordable social housing; increase the minimum wage to a living wage so that people on low pay can afford rents in the areas in which they work; govt crack down on rougue landlords. Sadly the NIMBYS oppose the first and the second and third need a degree of govt intervention that this govt is idealogically opposed to. Osborne's proposals will result in more unemployment, homelessness and increased poverty which will of course add pressure to the very welfare bill he is trying to reduce. He seems not to realise that most under 25s do not have parents with a mansion in the Home Counties with spare bedrooms and plenty of jobs within public transport distance of the lodge gate.

We should remember that housing benefit is paid to the landlord and not to the tenant and the majority of people receiving the benefit are in work. If only Osborne will put as much effort into job creation and growing the econmoy as he does in demonising people unable to represent themselves we would all be better off.

Fully agree with this. One point though, housing benefit is now paid to the tenant, not the landlord.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No great fan of Dave or Osborne myself,but tell me who would you like to be running the country,MG?Personally,I cannot think of one politician from any of the parties, that I would trust to run the proverbial 'whelk stall'.
I would trust Ed Miliband and his One Nation Labour agenda to be an improvement on what we have heard from the Bullingdon Club today.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Spot on. Millions of people are on minimum wage of about £6 per hour. In effect the huge welfare bill is subsidising all those massive firms like Tesco and Sainsbury's who pay a pittance because they can. A 40 hour week on minimum pay will about £850 a month after tax. Who can pay rent and live on that? That is where your tax is going.

That is the truth, that is where a huge chunk of the benefit payments go

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
How can society be realistically governed by members of a violent, drunkard, drug taking, sexually depraved GROUP of hooligans that was THE BULLINGDON.

In south london it would be referred to as GANG CULTURE.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I realised that after I'd posted it (having copied & pasted it from Google) and couldn't be bothered to remove the word Prime. The point stands that we had 33 years of PMs who had been state educated.

Many of those years were taken up with Maggie though.

i would be interested to know the education history of her cabinets throughout those years.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How can society be realistically governed by members of a violent, drunkard, drug taking, sexually depraved GROUP of hooligans that was THE BULLINGDON.

In south london it would be referred to as GANG CULTURE.

Yet England has been for Centuries.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yay. Let's kill all pensioners.

Personally think that the eldest in our society deserve more, but at the other end of the scale there are too many who think that The State should be responsible for providing them with somewhere to live, put food on their table, pay for their fags, booze and cable TV despite the fact that they have the ability but not the will to do it for themselves.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I would trust Ed Miliband and his One Nation Labour agenda to be an improvement on what we have heard from the Bullingdon Club today.

you do understand the irony in this, right? thats New New Labour's pitch, using some victorian Tories ideal of inclusivness across society to foster divisions. genius.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Probably not what this thread wants to hear but I have 2 mates who went to eton and 2 who went harrow and they are just normal boys and actually decent lads, both schools have changed a lot since the sort of :tosser: being talked about in this thread attended, just saying.

I do believe the OP is well versed on that topic. I believe he went to a Woodard school superior to yours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here