Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Etonians' Annual Gaudy

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Probably not what this thread wants to hear but I have 2 mates who went to eton and 2 who went harrow and they are just normal boys and actually decent lads, both schools have changed a lot since the sort of :tosser: being talked about in this thread attended, just saying.

Oi Husty, one of them just asked you to fetch his slippers, hurry up you oik.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If you look beyond the politcial mud slinging the only solution to reducing the housing benefit bill is as follows: build more affordable social housing; increase the minimum wage to a living wage so that people on low pay can afford rents in the areas in which they work; govt crack down on rougue landlords. Sadly the NIMBYS oppose the first and the second and third need a degree of govt intervention that this govt is idealogically opposed to. Osborne's proposals will result in more unemployment, homelessness and increased poverty which will of course add pressure to the very welfare bill he is trying to reduce. He seems not to realise that most under 25s do not have parents with a mansion in the Home Counties with spare bedrooms and plenty of jobs within public transport distance of the lodge gate.

We should remember that housing benefit is paid to the landlord and not to the tenant and the majority of people receiving the benefit are in work. If only Osborne will put as much effort into job creation and growing the econmoy as he does in demonising people unable to represent themselves we would all be better off.

of course ,all right leaning political parties need a scapegoat for their policies to seem sensible, whether it be single mothers,travellers,"benefit scroungers" or the homeless.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Starting with Harold Wilson in the 60s we had 33 years of State educated Prime Ministers and then went back to privately educated ones.

Public or private schools

Clement Attlee (Haileybury)
Winston Churchill (Harrow and Royal Military)
Tony Blair (Fettes)
David Cameron (Eton)
Nick Clegg (Westminster)
Harriet Harman (St Paul's Girls)

State schools

Margaret Thatcher (Kesteven and Grantham Girls)
Vince Cable (Nunthorpe Grammar)
Edward Heath (Chatham House)
Ed Miliband (Haverstock Comprehensive)
John Major (Rutlish Grammar)
James Callaghan (Portsmouth Northern Secondary)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
If you look beyond the politcial mud slinging the only solution to reducing the housing benefit bill is as follows: build more affordable social housing; increase the minimum wage to a living wage so that people on low pay can afford rents in the areas in which they work; govt crack down on rougue landlords. Sadly the NIMBYS oppose the first and the second and third need a degree of govt intervention that this govt is idealogically opposed to. Osborne's proposals will result in more unemployment, homelessness and increased poverty which will of course add pressure to the very welfare bill he is trying to reduce. He seems not to realise that most under 25s do not have parents with a mansion in the Home Counties with spare bedrooms and plenty of jobs within public transport distance of the lodge gate.

We should remember that housing benefit is paid to the landlord and not to the tenant and the majority of people receiving the benefit are in work. If only Osborne will put as much effort into job creation and growing the econmoy as he does in demonising people unable to represent themselves we would all be better off.

So, those that stack shelves in Harrods get to rent housing in Knightsbridge...good luck

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Osborne is a cock,

HOWEVER, reducing benefits to those people who have no interest in working is surely a good idea.

there are plenty of people in our society who need and deserve MORE from the State,(the disabled, elderly, infirm etc.) however there are PLENTY who at the moment are quite capable of helping themselves but simply refuse to, as life is 'ok' for them by living off a combination of Housing Benefit, Jobseekers,council tax credit, Child tax credit etc etc. these people are a drain on those who really need it, and deserve it.

Dandyman

In London village.

Most sensible post I've seen on here for a long while.

Dandyman

In London village.
Starting with Harold Wilson in the 60s we had 33 years of State educated Prime Ministers and then went back to privately educated ones.

Public or private schools

Clement Attlee (Haileybury)
Winston Churchill (Harrow and Royal Military)
Tony Blair (Fettes)
David Cameron (Eton)
Nick Clegg (Westminster)
Harriet Harman (St Paul's Girls)

State schools

Margaret Thatcher (Kesteven and Grantham Girls)
Vince Cable (Nunthorpe Grammar)
Edward Heath (Chatham House)
Ed Miliband (Haverstock Comprehensive)
John Major (Rutlish Grammar)
James Callaghan (Portsmouth Northern Secondary)

While I take your point, Harman, Clegg and Miliband have never been PM.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
While I take your point, Harman, Clegg and Miliband have never been PM.

I realised that after I'd posted it (having copied & pasted it from Google) and couldn't be bothered to remove the word Prime. The point stands that we had 33 years of PMs who had been state educated.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I think the proposal that no extra payment be made to parents on benefits, for having further children, is eminently sensible. If someone is relying on the state to keep themselves and their children it seems completely wrong that they should add to the burden. If The Greens really cared about the environment they'd fully support such a policy.

Dandyman

In London village.
So George wants to cut the benefits being dished out by this country to the millions of layabouts that are a national burden, and NSC thinks it's a bad idea. Are you people for real?

The obvious solution to our problems is to impose punitive taxes on boy bands and harsh jail sentences for anyone consuming their evil products. You know it makes sense.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land

So much "this" I had to read it twice before I read it was on NSC

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I think the proposal that no extra payment be made to parents on benefits, for having further children, is eminently sensible. If someone is relying on the state to keep themselves and their children it seems completely wrong that they should add to the burden. If The Greens really cared about the environment they'd fully support such a policy.

but surely children will starve for the decisions of their parents?

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
and my final word on this...is....if you target people of working age on benefits then 70% are working! How does that tally with the "layabout" tag quoted earlier?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
but surely children will starve for the decisions of their parents?

Cut down the fags,booze and cancel the Sky subscription as well as going without the latest smart phone.That would save a few bob!
If you can't be arsed to get the old bird onto contraception,then take up wa---ng instead of shagging!
Seriously,why should those that cannot afford to have large families, be effectively encouraged to do so.Plenty of people have to limit the size of their families for very obvious reasons.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Agreed. I'm afraid I am rather intolerant of old Tory toffs such as Gideon Osbourne and Call Me Dave.

I've seen and heard enough of the same old arguments to make up my mind who I'd rather be running the country and it isn't people like them.

No great fan of Dave or Osborne myself,but tell me who would you like to be running the country,MG?Personally,I cannot think of one politician from any of the parties, that I would trust to run the proverbial 'whelk stall'.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No great fan of Dave or Osborne myself,but tell me who would you like to be running the country,MG?Personally,I cannot think of one politician from any of the parties, that I would trust to run the proverbial 'whelk stall'.

Yep, that is exactly how I feel, after todays announcements Osbourne and Cameron are starting to frighten me with their total ineptitude, at a time when we really need a real leader, so step forward er um er. What a mess we are in.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath

Spot on. Millions of people are on minimum wage of about £6 per hour. In effect the huge welfare bill is subsidising all those massive firms like Tesco and Sainsbury's who pay a pittance because they can. A 40 hour week on minimum pay will about £850 a month after tax. Who can pay rent and live on that? That is where your tax is going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here