Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich Fan Here.

Feb 14, 2010
What has us being bigger than Norwich (debatable) 30-odd years ago have to do with anything nowadays? Brighton has always had 'potential', rarely if ever fulfilled over 110 years. Norwich make good on their 'potential'. The chairman's wealth means bugger all if it can't be converted into big crowds and high success.

On the Bennett issue - he is far more than merely 'a winger'. He is a winger, a midfield powerhouse, the team's engine, a superb passer, an intelligent link man, a superb goalscorer (not often enough at present), the direct source of half of our goals and an excellent person with a bright future.

And he's ours.

You want him, you find yourself a big nose to pay through for him.

I pointing out Norwich were not always bigger and have no divine right to be so. I back Bloom to turn this club into what it should be and as evidence i point to a ground that Bloom has paid £90odd million for and that can rise to 36000 capacity.

Bennett - agreed. A proper pass and move footballer

Sep 1, 2010
I pointing out Norwich were not always bigger and have no divine right to be so. I back Bloom to turn this club into what it should be and as evidence i point to a ground that Bloom has paid £90odd million for and that can rise to 36000 capacity.

36,000??

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Mate I remember when Brighton were a bigger clun than Norwich in terms of crowds (late 70s). Are the Albion now? No. Will they be next year? No but they will be about the same, and with a plan for growth that will make the albion the biggest in the south coast and south of the River Thames in the South East. Not ros tinted spectacles, just analysis of the facts of a rich chairman and a catchment area second to none

This. We are definitely going places that's a certainty. The only unknown is timescale.

d0mj4y

Jan 16, 2011

Norwich fan here...

I like your positive attitude, but as a club you need to find 15000 more fans that are going to part with their hard earned money on a weekly basis if you're going to be comparable in size to us.

I hope for your sake that your new stadium has a bit more soul to it than a place like Coventry's Ricoh Arena... (which they only hit 50% capacity on at the moment) At Norwich we're lucky in a way that our ground isn't really big enough for us so we average around 95% capacity which adds to the atmosphere and makes it an enjoyable place to be. Having been to the Ricoh myself, I'd hate to have to watch football in such a vacuous stadium on a weekly basis.

As for Elliott Bennett, I don't know a great deal about him, but from what I've been told he sounds like the sort of player that would fit into our style of play nicely... Pass and move, fluid attacking football. It remains to be seen how much you want for him and whether we're able to match it, but in terms of the size of the two clubs there's pretty much no comparison at this moment in time, despite your club making the right moves in terms of infrastructure and league status.

Best of luck to you for the rest of the season!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Agents are a big part of this. They get a big fee if a player moves - so they will always be aggitating for teams to look at a player. Can't think this is always in the interests of the player - but that's modern football.
And THAT was the only thing that I agreed with that perma tanned twat Jordan about - agents are the curse of the modern game

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As for Elliott Bennett, I don't know a great deal about him, but from what I've been told he sounds like the sort of player that would fit into our style of play nicely... Pass and move, fluid attacking football. It remains to be seen how much you want for him and whether we're able to match it, but in terms of the size of the two clubs there's pretty much no comparison at this moment in time, despite your club making the right moves in terms of infrastructure and league status.

Best of luck to you for the rest of the season!

If Crofts is doing well in the Norwich side, I'd say Bennett would fit in nicely too.

The issue - or one of the issues - is that Bennett signed a three? four? -year deal with the Albion in October.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Bloody hell we're sounding as arrogant as the Swindon fans were over Greer in the summer.

Just because we don't need to sell doesn't mean we wont.

Everyone in football wants to get to the highest level possible and if they can take a shortcut they generally will.

If Norwich want him and he wants to go, what he's worth has very little to do with it, it's how much we can squeeze out of Norwich.

A fee of around 500-750k with possible add ons (say plays x number of games in the Prem, sell on fee etc) and he'll probably be gone.

I'd be devestated if thats the case but thats football. We'll probably get Harley in from Exeter and I don't think our season would fall to pieces. We'd still be a good team, someone else would replace Benno and others would chip in with assists and we'll move on.

Feb 14, 2010
Bloody hell we're sounding as arrogant as the Swindon fans were over Greer in the summer.

Just because we don't need to sell doesn't mean we wont.

Everyone in football wants to get to the highest level possible and if they can take a shortcut they generally will.

If Norwich want him and he wants to go, what he's worth has very little to do with it, it's how much we can squeeze out of Norwich.

A fee of around 500-750k with possible add ons (say plays x number of games in the Prem, sell on fee etc) and he'll probably be gone.

I'd be devestated if thats the case but thats football. We'll probably get Harley in from Exeter and I don't think our season would fall to pieces. We'd still be a good team, someone else would replace Benno and others would chip in with assists and we'll move on.

What is arrogant and if you were Tony Bloom then would you take £750K with a need for Championship football with half a season still to go and a new stadium to fill? I wouldn't if I were TB. Id pay Bennett a few quid more to keep him happy and then see what happens at the end of the season

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
hmmm! what message would it send to other teams (that we are still a soft touch and a selling club) and players such as Calderon and Murray(for all our ambition, the vultures will always be circling and hamper our progress) I would seriously say to Norwich 2million and we start talking. Elliott Bennett is destined for bigger things but we don't have to sell him at this moment in time. He has recently signed a long contract and has seemed very settled up to now, if I were Bloom I would say leave it to the end of the season and if you want to go we will not stand in your way.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
there is no way we'd be paying 2m

prob worth 600K+400 with add ons

You are right but he is worth much more to us than that, he is the key to our success this season and the last thing we want to do is lose him hence the price tag of 2mill(its meant to scare suitors off)

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
there is no way we'd be paying 2m

prob worth 600K+400 with add ons

then you won't get him!

his excellent attitude, our lack of need to sell, our performances and status in league one at the moment, his place in that, the coming stadium and potential to be part of something big, the massive plus of gus poyet himself and his brand of football, even the city and area we live in, the fact if it came to the worst, prudence would let him go (if he wants to / if we fail in our promotion bid) in the close season ONLY...

nevertheless his importance to us keeps my fingers crossed. he is a top player and a top lad with a modest streak that only endears him to us. he could be a legend here too. lets hope all things fall into place and see us all living the dream in the championship next season.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
we only paid 300 for grant holt

yeah i doubt you'd find any replacement good enough

simply because a player of that standard would be joining a champ side and not yourselves

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
What is arrogant and if you were Tony Bloom then would you take £750K with a need for Championship football with half a season still to go and a new stadium to fill? I wouldn't if I were TB. Id pay Bennett a few quid more to keep him happy and then see what happens at the end of the season

Bennett has only recently signed a new contract to earn a few quid more. Paying him more isn't going to keep him happy if he wants to go. Holding onto players who dont want to be here isn't good for morale and doesn't help us sign other players who may feel we could hold them back. It stinks and I don't like it one bit but it happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here