Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norweigan striker signs

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is this a wind up or have we actually signed a striker albeit an unknown again. A number of players have arrived on these shores as unknowns and proved to be a success

You can argue all you like, but even bloody WALSALL have just signed a proven striker. And that's Walsall. Absolutely no excuses why we have failed.

Are you trying seriously to suggest that Jon Macken is a proven striker, just because he scored on Saturday? Because by that logic so is Ashley Barnes.

The only thing that Jon Macken has ever proved is that he is shit. He has not scored 10 goals in a season in ten years.

edit: It is patently obvious that what you mean is not that you want a decent striker, but that you want someone whose name you recognise. I fail to see how signing some crap 35 year old past it, who played a dozen games in the Premiership ten years ago, would be a helpful exercise.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
But that's exactly my point. Jesus christ, I have never once said I want us to sign a big name player of spend loads of money. In fact, look back at the threads when nsc was wetting its collective pants about the possibility of a £1m signing, and you'll see I was firmly against it. I'm only asking for a standard league one striker, the type that virtually every club in the division has. We have signed plenty of them over the last few years, so why have we not been able to do so now?
What, another one?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
But that's exactly my point. Jesus christ, I have never once said I want us to sign a big name player of spend loads of money. In fact, look back at the threads when nsc was wetting its collective pants about the possibility of a £1m signing, and you'll see I was firmly against it. I'm only asking for a standard league one striker, the type that virtually every club in the division has. We have signed plenty of them over the last few years, so why have we not been able to do so now?

and once again - why is Barnes not a standard league one striker ?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

So we would have 3? Bit of a waste of wages if we play 1 up top isn't it?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I actually think Lua Lua is a more important signing than a striker, after Saturday proved our problem was getting the ball to the front two.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

We have signed strikers with good reputations over the last few years - the problem has been getting them enough service and keeping things tight at the back. Instead of getting Sparrow, Greer, LuaLua, Kishishev, we could have spent 750k on a striker to feed off scraps.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Barnes is a standard League one striker and plenty of teams in this league would be delighted with Glenn Murray upfront.

Poyet has bought in Greer - the definition of proven at this level. Sparrow, Calderon, Lua Lua... what more do you want?

Sit down and shut up.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Barnes has played every match this season. He is not good enough for a promotion-winning team, so we need to replace him and put him on the bench. Doing that is NOT a waste of wages. And even if you do rate Barnes, which is fair enough, our bench this year consists of Hart and Holroyd. If you seriously think that improving on that would be a waste of wages you're mental.

Not worth arguing with

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I actually think Lua Lua is a more important signing than a striker, after Saturday proved our problem was getting the ball to the front two.

I would disagree as I think that with Sparrow in midfield we will get the ball forward enough and dont need Lua Lua. What we do need is somebody who can poach goals when the ball is put into the 6 yd box, A Lee Barnard, Scott McGleish, Jo Kuffor, yes Nicky Forster type player.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Barnes has played every match this season. He is not good enough for a promotion-winning team, so we need to replace him and put him on the bench. Doing that is NOT a waste of wages. And even if you do rate Barnes, which is fair enough, our bench this year consists of Hart and Holroyd. If you seriously think that improving on that would be a waste of wages you're mental.

brilliant, absolutely brilliant.....4 games in and you conclude Barnes is not good enough. f***ing genius

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I would disagree as I think that with Sparrow in midfield we will get the ball forward enough and dont need Lua Lua. What we do need is somebody who can poach goals when the ball is put into the 6 yd box, A Lee Barnard, Scott McGleish, Jo Kuffor, yes Nicky Forster type player.

Well we havent so far this season, we need width and Lua Lua will provide it

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yes, because when you've only got one who ticks most of the boxes it doesn't hurt to have another. I'd be more than happy with a signing of the calibre of Murray. Someone else to knock in 15-20 would sort us right out. It seems to me like we've wasted our time trying to find a superstar, when all we needed to do was replace Forster.
Assuming we play with one up front in most games this season that leaves us with Murray to start and Barnes as an option on the bench. Someone else would be useful in case of injuries or suspensions but it's not a disaster.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hate to agree with TCB but what we needed was a goalscorer/poacher who could snap up chances when the ball was loose and floating about in the 6 yd box, not instead of Murray or Barness, but as well as, to offer competition for a starting spot and also provide good back up as a sub to come on if the other 2 are not doing the biz.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here