Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Player Signed

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
CKR - You can understand while is is pissed off after a few people have a go at him on here.

Leon - you wonder why he has a dig at the club after what was put on here.

Note - not aimed at you but nsc as a whole.

I can see where your coming from but Leon did earn a lot of the abuse he got from here, he did appear a lazy bastard a lot of the time and disintrested and CKR has not come out in the press slating the club whereas Knight did while he was still here.

Im not saying CKR is completley innocent but he is nowhere near as bad as Leon.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Reading between the lines looks like he went to Cambridge Utd straight from school thought he'd made it so didn't put the effort in in training got released, had to get a proper job to supplement his income and started to realise he'd made a mistake at Cambridge. Put the effort in at Braintree, got noticed, now has a second chance at professional level and is far hungrier than he was at Cambridge.

BHA Jordan

Dec 14, 2005
DAMANCLAY said:
I cant believe people on this message board sometimes, we have signed a player who scored 36 goals last year (may well be a lower league but thats still a hell of alot) and we have already written him off. f***ing unbelievable sometimes :nono: :nono:
Anyone and everyone is entitled to an opinion, otherwise it would be very boring on here.

I'm glad you think he is ok, but in reality he probably wont do much as even when he played in the football league before, it was in the basement division and no-one wanted him when he left Cambridge.

Why would no-one want him? Perhaps because he isn't very good, and having seen him play myself for Cambridge about 10 - 15 times, I was not impressed, and that was against teams worse than we will be playing against next year.

36 goals for Braintree is not a lot, as that standard is just a bit up from pub football, and if I could commit to playing football myself (as can't due to work) then I could quite easily play for Braintree and probably bang in 36 goals. So does that mean I have earnt myself a trial for the albion?

No, because I know the difference in standard and wouldn't waste mine or the clubs time. As I have said previously I seriously hope I am proved wrong, but I do hope he bring with him a pair of extra warm socks for the bench, as can't see him getting off it very often unless MM wants to play with 3 up front all season.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It's interesting to read your opinions BHA Jordan.

The rest of us will have to wait a few weeks 'till the friendlies begin to form an opinion (although even then things can change ala Currie).

Hopefully he'll be the next Eastwood, DJ Campbell and score 20 goals! Added to Kazim's 20 we'll have every chance of going up.

:clap2: :jester:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
BHA Jordan said:

36 goals for Braintree is not a lot, as that standard is just a bit up from pub football, and if I could commit to playing football myself (as can't due to work) then I could quite easily play for Braintree and probably bang in 36 goals. So does that mean I have earnt myself a trial for the albion?

I respect your opinion of him, Jordan, as you say you've seen him play frequently. But to describe Braintree's level as 'one above pub football' I find staggering. Robbie Reinelt went there straight from league football. Who would you be going after as a realistic signing, may I ask?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Herne Hill Seagull said:
Robbie Reinelt went there straight from league football.
That doesn't really demonstrate much does it? I mean, he's a legend and all, but he wasn't actually very good was he?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If you can't get quality, get quantity. :wave:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Silent Bob said:
That doesn't really demonstrate much does it? I mean, he's a legend and all, but he wasn't actually very good was he?

Even an average lower league player (and I happen to think Reinelt was one of the better players in what was admittedly not a good side) does not go straight from full time pro to 'pub' team though do they, unless they're 143 years old? I wasn't trying to suggest that Reinelt was the new Pele, I was merely taking issue with the description of the standard of Braintree's level.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Turkey said:
It's interesting to read your opinions BHA Jordan.

The rest of us will have to wait a few weeks 'till the friendlies begin to form an opinion (although even then things can change ala Currie).

Hopefully he'll be the next Eastwood, DJ Campbell and score 20 goals! Added to Kazim's 20 we'll have every chance of going up.

:clap2: :jester:

True as ever. Now try and give some of your confidence to Biscuit!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Herne Hill Seagull said:
Even an average lower league player (and I happen to think Reinelt was one of the better players in what was admittedly not a good side) does not go straight from full time pro to 'pub' team though do they, unless they're 143 years old? I wasn't trying to suggest that Reinelt was the new Pele, I was merely taking issue with the description of the standard of Braintree's level.
Well I think BHA Jordan was probably exaggerating a bit but I can see his point. It is a massive step up, equivalent to a Premiership side signing the Conference's leading scorer. This is a division where someone like Stafford Browne is banging in goals. Paul Rogers (41) plays in the same side.

I will reserve judgement until I have seen Revell play but I'm hardly filled with confidence.

BHA Jordan

Dec 14, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Well I think BHA Jordan was probably exaggerating a bit but I can see his point. It is a massive step up, equivalent to a Premiership side signing the Conference's leading scorer. This is a division where someone like Stafford Browne is banging in goals. Paul Rogers (41) plays in the same side.

I will reserve judgement until I have seen Revell play but I'm hardly filled with confidence.
I'm glad someone realised that I was exaggerating a bit about the jump in standard bit of my last post, and Bob is right it would be like a prem club buying a conference top scorer, and christ they would give serious thought before buying a top scorer even in the division below.

All I have said is that on previous occasions when I have seen him, I've not been impressed, and I have also said it was a few years ago, he was younger then and I hope he proves to have got better with age.

I have not said he is rubbish, crap or shit, just that he didn't impress me and I also said that I hope he proves me wrong, because at the end of the day if he does play, I'll clap him, chant his name, as if he plays for the stripes he has my full support.

I am hoping he will be the next OGH as apparently he is a good runner, so even though he might not score many as long as he plays well and he gives his all every game like OGH then no one can complain.

We'll have to see what he is like in the friendlies, hopefully he will do alright, but unlike OGH he is not coming into a completely rubbish team as we were then, so he may find it quite hard making the jump like Doug has.

BHA Jordan

Dec 14, 2005
Herne Hill Seagull said:
I respect your opinion of him, Jordan, as you say you've seen him play frequently. But to describe Braintree's level as 'one above pub football' I find staggering. Robbie Reinelt went there straight from league football. Who would you be going after as a realistic signing, may I ask?
I don't think it is pub football standard really, I was only jesting as I do quite enjoy watching that level of football, and do watch Eastern Counties League football every now and again as well.

To be honest we should be looking at players in our own division as the wages we pay wont be too disimilar to most in this division, and if not then decent players from the league below. At a real push you would consider a red hot conference striker, but even then he would have to be really really good.

I don't think they are unreasonable targets even to a club with limited funds for any transfer activity such as us, and if we were considering a good conference player it would inching towards showing a lack of ambition, let alone signing a player from a club that last season was playing two further steps down the pyramid.

As has been said before despite Reinelt being an Albion legend, he was not very good, and we were really cack hence why we almost went out of the league, so for him to go straight to them is not a surprise as he was on his way down through the leagues anyway. Revell is the complete reverse to Reinelt as he is still young, and only time will tell if he is any good, and whether or not he has got better as the years have gone on.

I appreciate you don't agree with my comments about him, and as I have said before I am not one to (or like to) moan, but can you seriously tell me that his signing shows ambition by the club, and do you seriously think it will strike fear into the other teams?

I know we don't have a lot of bargaining power to compete with other clubs for players, but this is very similar to the signing of Doug Loft who has struggled to get into the side, and the difference of standard between Hastings and Braintree is not a lot.

Last edited:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
BHA Jordan said:
the difference of standard between Hastings and Braintree is not a lot.
mmm traditionally Hastings are a long way ahead of Braintree but there was a vast difference between the clubs last season.
Of course non-league players are either has-been or never-will-be:
Jason Roberts Hayes
Nathan Ellington Walton & Hersham
Stuart Pearce Wealdstone
Kevin Phillips Baldock Town
Enoch Showunmi Willesden Constantine
The Albion have signed some very poor players out of non-league like Nick Bissett, Robert Codner, Adrian Owers, Peter Ward, Gary Hart.
Braintree what a shit hole it's in Essex. The sort of county that does not produce Alf Ramsey, Geoff Hurst, David Beckham, Joe Cole, Bobby Moore, Jimmy Greaves, Glenn Hoddle.

Welcome to Brighton & Hove Albion, Alex Revell !!!!!!!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
SeagullJay said:
constant moaning we have not signed anyone

we sign someone and he is not good enough

give the lad a chance...
Well said. Him and CKR up frront. 80 goals partnership by christmas. :jester:

Seriously, give the lad a chance. Loft's not been that bad when I've seen him play, and he came from Hasting... remember!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here