Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Player Signed

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Up to the 20+ goals a season I did, the fact that I am as hopeful of more signings as the next man is irrelevant but that still doesn't take away the fact that I do not see Revell as the man to win us promotion. I said this earlier when it was suggested that it would be interesting in the pre seasons which prompted this argument, I said that many players look good against the likes of Worthing and Lewes that doesnt mean they are going to do the biz against Nottm Forest and Orient. Molango was another example of a player who looked good pre season especially against Crawley but failed miserably after that.

All we can do is wait and see and give the player and managment the benefit of the doubt.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BensGrandad said:
Up to the 20+ goals a season I did, the fact that I am as hopeful of more signings as the next man is irrelevant but that still doesn't take away the fact that I do not see Revell as the man to win us promotion.

How can you say that without actually ever having seen him play?

You are certainly not one to reserve judgment and that can often make one seem very foolish. Besides there is no 'I' in team and it will be a team effort if we win promotion.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BensGrandad said:
Up to the 20+ goals a season I did, the fact that I am as hopeful of more signings as the next man is irrelevant but that still doesn't take away the fact that I do not see Revell as the man to win us promotion. I said this earlier when it was suggested that it would be interesting in the pre seasons which prompted this argument, I said that many players look good against the likes of Worthing and Lewes that doesnt mean they are going to do the biz against Nottm Forest and Orient. Molango was another example of a player who looked good pre season especially against Crawley but failed miserably after that.

All we can do is wait and see and give the player and managment the benefit of the doubt.

But who at the club said he is the man to get 20+ goals and gain us promotion. If thats the thinking then why sign on the youth team players because they won't win us promotion. BoF is right, it is a team game and noone has seen him yet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BarrelofFun said:
How can you say that without actually ever having seen him play?

You are certainly not one to reserve judgment and that can often make one seem very foolish. Besides there is no 'I' in team and it will be a team effort if we win promotion.

The same as it was a team effort that got us relegated despite both DK and MM saying we were 1 player away from safety a goal scorer and 2 from being a respectable Championship side.

To answer your question no I havent seen him play but to get back to the nitty gritty has his signing made you or anybody you know rush out and place a bet on us being promoted. Could the same have been said had we signed a player with a goalscoring record of somebody like Lee Trundle. No there would have been many who would have rushed to the bookies to get a good price.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BensGrandad said:
The same as it was a team effort that got us relegated despite both DK and MM saying we were 1 player away from safety a goal scorer and 2 from being a respectable Championship side.

To answer your question no I havent seen him play but to get back to the nitty gritty has his signing made you or anybody you know rush out and place a bet on us being promoted. Could the same have been said had we signed a player with a goalscoring record of somebody like Lee Trundle. No there would have been many who would have rushed to the bookies to get a good price.

Yes. In relegation you can't single out people for being responsible. We were potentially one player away from being a respectable side, we just couldn't find that player or afford him. A target man would have taken the load of the defence, midfield and created more goals.

It is the first signing after a clear out and we took a shot as other clubs were sniffing. Give them a break!!

If we could afford a Lee Trundle then our promotion chances would look a lot better, but as it is I am just bding my time until some more signings come along and the season actually starts. I guess that is where DK has let us down, eh BG? In that there is not enough money.

Only a fool would invest in a club without any assets, or indeed a true fan trying to save the club from extinction.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Ben Watson got 20+ and we let him go ??? still ill give him a chance he was always a good signing on champ :lol:

Kinky Gerbils said:
Is Mcghee putting all his eggs in the GNW basket?

I thought that was the interesting bit of the McGhee interview in the Argus last week? Except a lot of people went off on one about the "make do" comment and this more interesting comment got marginalised in the discussion on here.

BensGrandad said:
What did he say in The Argus as I will not buy it what I cant read standing in Tesco's doesnt get read.

Last Monday, BG - I think McGhee clearly signalling he is using his massive budget on one key signing - or "eggs in one basket" as Kinky puts it.

I don't think young Revell is the eggs though :)

Article as follows:

Albion are stepping up their bid to sign an experienced goalscorer to get them back out of League One.

Manager Mark McGhee has already had two meetings with chairman Dick Knight and chief scout Dean White since returning from holiday at the end of last week.

Top of the agenda is the type of 20-goal target man the relegated Seagulls lacked in the Championship last season.

McGhee said: "If we could only sign one player it would be a good enough centre forward. The rest we can make do with.

"If we can improve in other areas, midfield, at the back and squad depth, then fantastic but if we can sign the right centre forward then we would be a competitive team immediately.

"We are very determined and keen to do business as quickly as possible.

"However, that doesn't mean it is any easier than it has ever been to find the quality of player we need to challenge."

McGhee would love to have Neil Shipperley, one of his main targets last season, but he is still wanted by promoted Sheffield United as back up in the Premier League.

Other strikers under consideration include former loan signing Gifton Noel-Williams and Norwich's Peter Thorne, although wages could again be a stumbling block for Albion, particularly in trying to land players from a higher level with proven records.

McGhee has ruled out renewing his interest in Tom Brighton, the young forward he tried to buy from Clyde last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here