Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

national strike

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
How do you disagree?

6 weeks is typical is it not? Say 4 weeks during the year and bank holidays and Xmas takes it to arround 6 weeks for most jobs in this country.
I disagree because thats not what you meant for starters, you meant six weeks holiday not including the add ons, and believe it or not, most businesses dont close down over xmas, you're out of touch with standard working practices, just see questions response to your post on tradesmen, , I dont say it as a dig, it's just a fact.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've worked 50 hours plus a week for as long as I can remember .

Cut down on your NSC and you might be able to go home on time.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Or maybe were more efficient at your job? A boss once said to me that it reflected badly on him if his staff were regularly working long hours as it meant he had not employed the right people.
So perhaps I should pick and choose which hours I cover in the market I work in ? which is open between 7 am and 5 pm every day, let me see that works out at , ooohhh, 50 hours a week.
What do you suggest ? perhaps popping in around nine and bashing out 5 or 6 hours so I can get away before the rush hour ?
Who cares about the business I miss when i'm not here , it's not as if I've actually got to show a profit at the end of the day is it ? Oh, hang on a minute..........................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I disagree because thats not what you meant for starters, you meant six weeks holiday not including the add ons, and believe it or not, most businesses dont close down over xmas, you're out of touch with standard working practices, just see questions response to your post on tradesmen, , I dont say it as a dig, it's just a fact.

Holiday entitlements: the basics : Directgov - Employment

The law actually says 5.6 weeks is the minimum. I'd say you're out of touch.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
1. Yes I did.
2. The point applied to any argument. Read the post of yours I commented on and try using your short term memory if you want to be more specific.
3. In each case I think that is clear unless you have impaired cognitive function. Right now I am talking about you and this list addresses each of your questions in turn. Hope that helps.
4. The quantifying of intelligence is fraught with bias and inaccuracy whatever the methodology. If you want to go with IQ I'm well inside 99.9th percentile so no seems a safe answer.

1. At no point was I in any argument
2. ' The point applied to any argument. Read the post of yours I commented on and try using your short term memory if you want to be more specific ' The post you commented on of mine simply said 'you're a f***ing idiot' which wasn't even aimed at you?
3. You're a f***ing idiot

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Holiday entitlements: the basics : Directgov - Employment

The law actually says 5.6 weeks is the minimum. I'd say you're out of touch.
Here's what the law stipulates

"All workers have a right to at least 5.6 weeks’ paid annual leave, but you could receive more than that. Your employer can control some things about your holiday, including when you should take it and whether they include bank holidays in your entitlement." I'll guarantee that the VAST majority of private sector workers with 5.6 weeks( 28 days) holiday, have bank holidays included. give up, you're wrong on this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So perhaps I should pick and choose which hours I cover in the market I work in ?
Why not? Do YOU have to cover everything? I fail to believe that your company could not delegate some of your work to someone else during certain periods of the day, or maybe for a specific day of the week. Maybe you're just stuck in the tired old way of thinking about working hours and roles etc.

What do you suggest ? perhaps popping in around nine and bashing out 5 or 6 hours so I can get away before the rush hour ?

4 day week? Given the bragging you do about your job and the salary I get the impression that you like the long hours as it gives a sense of importance. You probably feel no one else can do your job but the reality is lot of other peple also do it.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
1. At no point was I in any argument
2. ' The point applied to any argument. Read the post of yours I commented on and try using your short term memory if you want to be more specific ' The post you commented on of mine simply said 'you're a f***ing idiot' which wasn't even aimed at you?
3. You're a f***ing idiot

Just owned yourself. Thanks for the chuckle but I shall not respond again as it may reinforce your attention seeking behaviour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here's what the law stipulates

"All workers have a right to at least 5.6 weeks’ paid annual leave, but you could receive more than that. Your employer can control some things about your holiday, including when you should take it and whether they include bank holidays in your entitlement." I'll guarantee that the VAST majority of private sector workers with 5.6 weeks( 28 days) holiday, have bank holidays included. give up, you're wrong on this.

Am I missing something here? All workers have a right to 5.6 weeks. This is the entitlement. If it does include bank holidays then it's still 5.6 weeks. If it does not and bank holidats are on top then bingo..even more time off. From my experience most employers will include the bank holiday and this coupled with around 4 weeks off 'holiday' is where my figure comes from. I said 6 weeks, the law states 5.6. Give up you were wrong.

I do know a thing about this as I write my own contracts for the work I do. And the holidays are an important part.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I disagree because thats not what you meant for starters, you meant six weeks holiday not including the add ons

Let's look at the facts:
1) I said a typical job has 6 weeks holiday. This is all I said. Nothing more, nothing less. Well, not until you challenged me.
2) I then provide a government website link which says the legal minimum is 5.6 weeks.
3) You claim I meant that bank holidays were on top of this.
4) Er, no I didnt. I was simply quoting (from memory) what I believed the average to be. I then got the exact figure.
5) You got it wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
5.6 weeks includes the 8 bank holidays and that is the statutory entitlement for employees and most employees will only get those 20 days + 8 bank holiday.

"•you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave - 28 days for someone working five days a week (capped at a statutory maximum of 28 days for all working patterns)"

28 days for people working a 5 day week. This is 5.6 weeks exactly and almost certainly includes bank holidays in most cases. From my experience the 28 days is made up of 20 days plus bank holidays. I'm not disputing this.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Made myself very happy this morning whilst driving to work. Drove past Mill View hospital in Hove to be greeted by a group of yellow waistcoated public sector workers waving placards above their heads, encouraging people to use their horns in support of their absence from work. I dutifully slowed down, opened my windows and shouted 'Wankers' at them, whilst making Gold Blend gestures at them. They seemed quite surprised by this, oh well.............................

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Why not? Do YOU have to cover everything? I fail to believe that your company could not delegate some of your work to someone else during certain periods of the day, or maybe for a specific day of the week. Maybe you're just stuck in the tired old way of thinking about working hours and roles etc.

4 day week? Given the bragging you do about your job and the salary I get the impression that you like the long hours as it gives a sense of importance. You probably feel no one else can do your job but the reality is lot of other peple also do it.

You really havent got a clue about me , or my job, i'm an inter dealer broker at the moment, my clients want to talk to ME, not the junior on the desk, thats why I stay to cover the market whenever possible, and I've never , bragged about my job and CERTAINLY not what I earn, I'm under no illusions about my job and the level of skill required to do it, good relationships and a certain level of skill are required to fill orders with some finesse occasionally, but there are large parts of my job that place me at the level of glorified bingo caller,if I go back to trading then it'll be different, but It's you that have a problem with the city in general, and my job in particular.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I love the idea people think all their taxes pay the public sector wages. What they're actually mainly paying for is the bailout of banks. About 6% of the public sector taxes pay for the NHS, Police, Social Services, and Education. The other 94% if it goes towards the bank bailouts. If you think that is too much, feel free to object to the strikes.

The Public sector net borrowing PSNB (annual government borrowing) for 2010/11 was £143.2 billion or 11.7% of GDP
If all financial sector intervention is included (e.g. Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds), the Net debt was £2266.3 billion (148% of GDP)

Still, the public sector gets cut. Why? Why do you think?

CameronEton2_468x420.jpg

Do you really think the cuts will affect these people?
No.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Am I missing something here? All workers have a right to 5.6 weeks. This is the entitlement. If it does include bank holidays then it's still 5.6 weeks. If it does not and bank holidats are on top then bingo..even more time off. From my experience most employers will include the bank holiday and this coupled with around 4 weeks off 'holiday' is where my figure comes from. I said 6 weeks, the law states 5.6. Give up you were wrong.

I do know a thing about this as I write my own contracts for the work I do. And the holidays are an important part.
I've yet to meet the person who whilst receiving 20 days holiday a year , tells people that they receive 28 including bank holidays, it only highlights your ignorance of the normal workplace that you believe it to be the case.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I love the idea people think all their taxes pay the public sector wages. What they're actually mainly paying for is the bailout of banks. About 6% of the public sector taxes pay for the NHS, Police, Social Services, and Education. The other 94% if it goes towards the bank bailouts. If you think that is too much, feel free to object to the strikes.

i didnt know how utterly wrong someone could be, you have given fresh insight. the bank bailout happend in 2008, the money for that was spent in 2008 and doesnt reoccur every year. now, have a look at this site* and notice how the debt goes back before 2008. £143.2 billion is the deficit for 2010/11, the net overspend, how much the debt will increase by, most of which is accounted for by long standing budgeted expenses. not sure where £2266.3 billion comes from, probably gross debt of combined public and private debts in the UK.

* or, just look at the graph on the blog you lifted that text from.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Made myself very happy this morning whilst driving to work. Drove past Mill View hospital in Hove to be greeted by a group of yellow waistcoated public sector workers waving placards above their heads, encouraging people to use their horns in support of their absence from work. I dutifully slowed down, opened my windows and shouted 'Wankers' at them, whilst making Gold Blend gestures at them. They seemed quite surprised by this, oh well.............................

You're a nice person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here