Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

national strike

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You really havent got a clue about me , or my job, i'm an inter dealer broker at the moment, my clients want to talk to ME, not the junior on the desk, thats why I stay to cover the market whenever possible, and I've never , bragged about my job and CERTAINLY not what I earn, I'm under no illusions about my job and the level of skill required to do it, good relationships and a certain level of skill are required to fill orders with some finesse occasionally, but there are large parts of my job that place me at the level of glorified bingo caller,if I go back to trading then it'll be different, but It's you that have a problem with the city in general, and my job in particular.

But I do know. Do you not recall telling me about your job and how you got into it on these very pages after I asked? And you have bragged about your job and your bonus to me in the past; regularly and continually at one point. And informing me of my jealousy. This is how I came to my conclusion that your job defines you as a person. Or did. I note that you took some time out from these pages and this all changed when you came back. You are very very very marginally a nicer person for this. Bragging about wealth is very vulgar.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I love the idea people think all their taxes pay the public sector wages. What they're actually mainly paying for is the bailout of banks. About 6% of the public sector taxes pay for the NHS, Police, Social Services, and Education. The other 94% if it goes towards the bank bailouts. If you think that is too much, feel free to object to the strikes.

6% pays for public sector...... you don't really believe that do you?!

UK Government Spending 2012

Main Areas of Government Spending
[+] Pensions (old age and sickness) £129.3bn
[+] Health Care £123.7bn
[+] Education £34.2bn + £59.1bn (local) total education = £93.3bn
[+] Defence £ 47.3bn
[+] Social Welfare (income support, unemployment benefits) £111.7bn
[+] Protection (police, law, courts) £33.4bn
[+] Transport £22.4bn
[+] General Government £19.0bn
[+] Other Spending (mainly local, e.g. waste management, sports and leisure) – £82.8bn
[+] Interest payments on Government debt – £48.6bn
[+] Total Spending £712.6bn

[+] Public Net Debt £1,046)

•Foreign Aid £7.8 billion or 0.7% of GDP 2011/12 (Cost of Foreign aid)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've yet to meet the person who whilst receiving 20 days holiday a year , tells people that they receive 28 including bank holidays, it only highlights your ignorance of the normal workplace that you believe it to be the case.

I think this is called trying to save face.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
But I do know. Do you not recall telling me about your job and how you got into it on these very pages after I asked? And you have bragged about your job and your bonus to me in the past; regularly and continually at one point. And informing me of my jealousy. This is how I came to my conclusion that your job defines you as a person. Or did. I note that you took some time out from these pages and this all changed when you came back. You are very very very marginally a nicer person for this. Bragging about wealth is very vulgar.
If, and it really is an if, i did, it was in response to the chip on your or somebody else's shoulder, tongue in cheek , and designed to wind you up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hahaha, f*** off, nobody, and I mean nobody counts bank holidays as part of holiday entitlement.

FFS. No one apart from you is saying anything about bloody bank holidays. You raised this to try and cover your incorrect assertion about my 6 week claim.

And besides, what about people who have to work on bank holidays as part of the job expectation? I bet they say they get 28 days off a year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If, and it really is an if, i did, it was in response to the chip on your or somebody else's shoulder, tongue in cheek , and designed to wind you up.

So you're not quite sure i.e. you feel you have the potetial to be so crass? I'm happy and confident in the knowledge I do not.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
FFS. No one apart from you is saying anything about bloody bank holidays. You raised this to try and cover your incorrect assertion about my 6 week claim.

And besides, what about people who have to work on bank holidays as part of the job expectation? I bet they say they get 28 days off a year.
**Sigh**..........You put this link up
Holiday entitlements: the basics : Directgov - Employment

It says this
" All workers have a right to at least 5.6 weeks’ paid annual leave, but you could receive more than that. Your employer can control some things about your holiday, including when you should take it and whether they include bank holidays in your entitlement.

The vast majority of people get about 20 days holiday a year, I know of absolutely nobody who receives this amount who considers that really they receive 28 days , bank holidays are seen as an extra, not part of the holiday entitlement,you were trying to say that most people received six weeks AS WELL AS bank holidays, either way it highlights your ignorance of normal workplaces, if you werent saying this then it shows you havent a clue because as I've said, I know nobody who would count bank holidays as part of normal entitlement and round up the numbers accordingly, if you were saying six weeks statutory holiday plus bank holidays is the norm, then yet again , it highlights your ignorance.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
I just had the rather amusing experience of walking past the march in London. I am pleased to report that I saw one poster which was actually relevant to the pensions issue. The rest had placards regarding EMA, tuition fees, cuts (note there is no proposal to cut pension schemes, all that is being asked is increased contributions and longer working hours). The whole thing is an absolute farce; a bandwagon for every minor ideologically driven complaint against this government and those who fancy a day off work. Most of the people being interviewed have absolutely no idea how the pension changes will impact upon them - they accept unquestioningly the poisonous nonsense drip-fed to them by the union bigwigs, who are seeking revenge for their stunning defeat under Thatcher.

Public sector workers in many other European countries will be lucky if they get any pension after the debt crisis. We complain about paying a few extra pounds and working for a few more years. Get a grip. This strike is damaging our economy and will only mean that more public sector workers are let go in the long term.

Meanwhile, we've missed the big economic news today which could be a game changer - Central Banks around the world have announced they are taking coordinated action.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I just had the rather amusing experience of walking past the march in London. I am pleased to report that I saw one poster which was actually relevant to the pensions issue. The rest had placards regarding EMA, tuition fees, cuts (note there is no proposal to cut pension schemes, all that is being asked is increased contributions and longer working hours). The whole thing is an absolute farce; a bandwagon for every minor ideologically driven complaint against this government and those who fancy a day off work. Most of the people being interviewed have absolutely no idea how the pension changes will impact upon them - they accept unquestioningly the poisonous nonsense drip-fed to them by the union bigwigs, who are seeking revenge for their stunning defeat under Thatcher.

Public sector workers in many other European countries will be lucky if they get any pension after the debt crisis. We complain about paying a few extra pounds and working for a few more years. Get a grip. This strike is damaging our economy and will only mean that more public sector workers are let go in the long term.

Meanwhile, we've missed the big economic news today which could be a game changer - Central Banks around the world have announced they are taking coordinated action.
They have

News Release
30 November 2011
The Bank of Canada, the Bank of England, the Bank of Japan, the European Central Bank, the Federal Reserve, and the Swiss National Bank are today announcing coordinated actions to enhance their capacity to provide liquidity support to the global financial system. The purpose of these actions is to ease strains in financial markets and thereby mitigate the effects of such strains on the supply of credit to households and businesses and so help foster economic activity.
These central banks have agreed to lower the pricing on the existing temporary U.S. dollar liquidity swap arrangements by 50 basis points so that the new rate will be the U.S. dollar overnight index swap (OIS) rate plus 50 basis points. This pricing will be applied to all operations conducted from 5 December 2011. The authorization of these swap arrangements has been extended to 1 February 2013. In addition, the Bank of England, the Bank of Japan, the European Central Bank, and the Swiss National Bank will continue to offer three-month tenders until further notice.
As a contingency measure, these central banks have also agreed to establish temporary bilateral liquidity swap arrangements so that liquidity can be provided in each jurisdiction in any of their currencies should market conditions so warrant. At present, there is no need to offer liquidity in non-domestic currencies other than the U.S. dollar, but the central banks judge it prudent to make the necessary arrangements so that liquidity support operations could be put into place quickly should the need arise. The swap lines are available until 1 February 2013.
The introduction of the network of temporary swap lines will enable the Bank of England to provide sterling to the other central banks if required, as well as enabling the Bank of England to provide liquidity, should it be needed, in Japanese yen, euro, Swiss francs and Canadian dollars (in addition to the existing operations in U.S. dollars).
The Bank will continue its weekly tenders of U.S. dollar funding at fixed interest rates each Wednesday until further notice, with counterparties able to borrow unlimited amounts against eligible collateral. The rate at which tenders are conducted will be reduced to OIS+50bps (from OIS+100bps) beginning with the next weekly tender on 7 December. The three-month tender scheduled for 7 December and subsequent three-month tenders will also be conducted at OIS+50bps.
In the U.S. dollar repo operations, counterparties are permitted to borrow any amount against eligible collateral. Further details can be found in the Market Notice athttp://www.bankofengland.co.uk/markets/marketnotice111130.pdf. These operations are subject to the terms of the Sterling Monetary Framework Documentation, available here
Bank of England | Markets | Sterling Monetary Framework | Documentation, as supplemented and amended by the Supplementary Terms, which can be found on the Bank of England website at Bank of England | Markets | Other Official Operations | US Dollar Repo Operations. The US dollar term repo operations use the Narrow and Wider OMO Collateral pools, details of which can be found athttp://www.bankofengland.co.uk/markets/other/dollarrepo/eligiblecollateral.htm.
Information on related actions being taken by other central banks
Information on the actions to be taken by other central banks is available on the following websites:
Bank of Canada (Bank of Canada)
Bank of Japan (Home �F“ú–{‹â�s Bank of Japan)
European Central Bank (ECB: European Central Bank home page)
Swiss National Bank (SNB)
Federal Reserve (Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
you were trying to say that most people received six weeks AS WELL AS bank holidays

:facepalm:

I was not. Look, let this silly little issue go as other wise you'll be doing more than a 50 hour week. Go and complain about immigrants or something.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am 100% certain that I have the potential to wind people up in that manner, actually being serious would be crass.

HT sports incredulous grin and strokes chin repeatedly and ostentatiously.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am 100% certain that I have the potential to wind people up in that manner, actually being serious would be crass.

I shall bid you farewell, as I need to get ready for a Duran Duran concert now.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
the union bigwigs, who are seeking revenge for their stunning defeat under Thatcher.

Oh my, Do you honestly believe that? This whole thing the thousands of people going out was just to settle a score from decades ago???

Contribute more, Work more, Recieve less.

It's a joke, And before you scream and shout no I didn't strike today as I have a duty of care I hold in high regard but I fully support those that did.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
[MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION], you've been going on about this affordability aspect. Do you accept that teachers (and NHS, and any other public sector fund you care to mention) pensions are not 'funded' in the sense that when my wife (who is a teacher) puts money into her pension scheme (and the employer adds its sizeable addition), it is not invested into an asset portfolio for her but is instead used to pay existing ex-public sector pensioners? Because if you accept that, then it becomes quickly obvious that the current system is extremely difficult to sustain - it is a Ponzi scheme by another name. They are funded in the sense that the current incomings exceed the outgoings - but if/when their outgoings increase (as current employees or our large public sector retire, and the old claimants do not die out as early) then there's absolutely no guarantee that this will continue to be the case - in fact it's entirely unlikely.

Incidentally, the Hutton report, while recommending that the public sector pension schemes had to be reformed for current members as well as new to reduce the burden on the taxpayer, it also carried a couple of often-brandished charts which showed public pensions liabilities falling long-term as a proportion of GDP. These are often used to back up the assertion that public sector pensions are 'affordable'. However, they are based on some rather heroic assumptions, not least of which is the expected growth in the UK economy (I think it's a 3% pa increase in GDP). It's also based on an increasing population being served by a public sector which does not expand in employee numbers - does anyone really think that's realistic?

I am well aware that public sector pensions are not funded in the same way that private pensions are, ie in investment funds. However, you have to consider what the position would be if the money contributed by public sector and their employer was put into a fund. In 2008, the NUT apparently calculated that since the inception of their scheme in 1923 £46b more had been paid in contributions than had been paid out. What has that money been used for?

As for your assertion that current incomings exceed outgoings are you talking about public sector pensions as a whole or just teachers because I read somewhere that last year there was a massive surplus in what was collected and what was paid out!!!!

tell me about this argument?

Thought the argument was about you not just looking further than your own situation.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
scaled.php

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
6% pays for public sector...... you don't really believe that do you?!

UK Government Spending 2012

Main Areas of Government Spending
[+] Pensions (old age and sickness) £129.3bn
[+] Health Care £123.7bn
[+] Education £34.2bn + £59.1bn (local) total education = £93.3bn
[+] Defence £ 47.3bn
[+] Social Welfare (income support, unemployment benefits) £111.7bn
[+] Protection (police, law, courts) £33.4bn
[+] Transport £22.4bn
[+] General Government £19.0bn
[+] Other Spending (mainly local, e.g. waste management, sports and leisure) – £82.8bn
[+] Interest payments on Government debt – £48.6bn
[+] Total Spending £712.6bn

[+] Public Net Debt £1,046)

•Foreign Aid £7.8 billion or 0.7% of GDP 2011/12 (Cost of Foreign aid)

That foreign aid budget should be wiped out. It is a total waste of our public money. If people want to give money for aid, it should be in the form of charitable donations from those who give a f***.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here