Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

national strike

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
one tidbit of information that came out to day was the public-private pay gap, which is 4.3% for men and 10.5%. thats a gap in *favour* of the public sector, which surprised me, and offers an interest insight to alot of arguements made.

Maybe that is the Politicians pushing up the average? Hard to know with so little detail in your statistic.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Wow I never thought about it like that,I see things clearly now. I'm converted I'm off to join the BNP and have a lobotomy.

.......I f***ing hate grasshoppers, the green bastards......

it's working, it's working.........not like that f***ing green grasshopper!...........This is bliss.

Does this mean Guy Butters is right wing? Oh f***. Its like when I met Steve Foster and he went on and on about how great Thatcher was. Never met your heroes... Has there ever been a left wing footballer? Pat Nevin and Joey Barton are the only two I can think of.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Does this mean Guy Butters is right wing? Oh f***. Its like when I met Steve Foster and he went on and on about how great Thatcher was. Never met your heroes... Has there ever been a left wing footballer? Pat Nevin and Joey Barton are the only two I can think of.

With what they earn, do you think thats likely?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fergie is a leftie :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With what they earn, do you think thats likely?

Interesting comment. I have this (slightly warped) theory that some groups of the working class aspire to vote Tory. Is this the same with footballers?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As I grow older I find myself surrounded by friends and family who seem to be moving further and further to the right. It scares me.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Interesting comment. I have this (slightly warped) theory that some groups of the working class aspire to vote Tory. Is this the same with footballers?

nothing warped about that, its what "mondeo man" represents isnt it?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Robbie Fowler and Steve Mcmanaman always struck me as pretty left wing. Given most of them are working class you would think there would be many more.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
bunch of ungrateful wankers.

What exactly should public sector workers be grateful for? They do a job and get paid for it. They should be no more grateful than I the barman is who serves me the beer I pay for.

As it is with these reforms they still have better pensions than most in the private sector. People atm want everything for nothing and are unwilling to make comprimises.

And also lower salaries.

Let me give you my nperspective. I'm a chemistry graduate, whith extra specialities in microbiology and pharmaceutrical science. I chose teaching as a career, because I wanted to make a difference rather than spend my life making money for someone else. Given my qualifications, as a teacher I earned around half, probably less than half, than I could in the private sector. The payback was a better pension. Still not a great pension, I was never gonna be rich when I retire, not even well off if truth be known, but at least secure. I don't think that's a lot to expect in return for taking a much lower salary all my life to serve the local community.

Now the government says they're not going to honour the contract I signed, but want to pay me later and pay me less. I paid into a scheme with a contractual obligation, that should be honoured. What sort of mug do you take me (and people like me) for?

I'm 100% in favour of this strike. Some of the unions striking here (the NAHT for example) have NEVER called a strike before in their entire history. These are not just militant unions striking.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Some of these strikers are looking at pensions as low as 6 grand a year yet are beng told they have to work longer and contribute more by a bunch of old Etonian millionaires. That doesn't strike me as being fair.

Not only that, but idiots are calling a £6k a year pension "guilt edged".

Hell, £6k a year doesn't even pay the rent on a bedsit in Brighton.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Errr, no they won't. Not even if they've done the full 40 years.

my partner does public sector pensions, and the formula can be found on t'interwebs. typically final salary is calculated as salary/60 * years service. differnet groups with in the public sector may differ slightly, but thats certainly the sort of formula used for central government departments.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What exactly should public sector workers be grateful for? They do a job and get paid for it. They should be no more grateful than I the barman is who serves me the beer I pay for.

And also lower salaries.

Let me give you my nperspective. I'm a chemistry graduate, whith extra specialities in microbiology and pharmaceutrical science. I chose teaching as a career, because I wanted to make a difference rather than spend my life making money for someone else. Given my qualifications, as a teacher I earned around half, probably less than half, than I could in the private sector. The payback was a better pension. Still not a great pension, I was never gonna be rich when I retire, not even well off if truth be known, but at least secure. I don't think that's a lot to expect in return for taking a much lower salary all my life to serve the local community.

Now the government says they're not going to honour the contract I signed, but want to pay me later and pay me less. I paid into a scheme with a contractual obligation, that should be honoured. What sort of mug do you take me (and people like me) for?

I'm 100% in favour of this strike. Some of the unions striking here (the NAHT for example) have NEVER called a strike before in their entire history. These are not just militant unions striking.

I've seen a few teachers give this argument, and I don't understand it. If you wanted to be a teacher then fair enough, but you can't then use the fact that you could get a higher paid job to improve your terms as a teacher.

That's like me giving up my IT job to do a paper round, because I want to serve the community and make sure they have reading material every morning, then arguing with the shop owner for only paying 20 a week when I could be earning 500

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
155400612.jpg

The next PM ?

Unlikely, I feel.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Oh my, Do you honestly believe that? This whole thing the thousands of people going out was just to settle a score from decades ago???

To an extent I do to be honest. I have as little time for Union Leaders on massive salaries (and huge pensions) as I do the Eton educated idiots who have absolutely no conception how the majority of people in this country live.

.. and I am a member of a Union.

On the subject of the pensions. It's a difficult one for me - I can see both sides of the argument. I don't work in the public sector and astonished as I grew older to learn how much pension you were entitled to when you retired. Probably because I grew up in a family my dad worked VERY long hours running in own business, 7 days a week.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I've seen a few teachers give this argument, and I don't understand it. If you wanted to be a teacher then fair enough, but you can't then use the fact that you could get a higher paid job to improve your terms as a teacher.

That's not what he's saying. He's not asking for better terms, he saying the term's offered were attractive to him, which is why he took the job, and now the government is reneging on his contract. The argument makes perfect sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here