Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

national strike

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The sparks who did some work for me a while back buggered off to France regularly between jobs. It was very much his decision and not forced on him.

It might be 'eight f***ing weeks' when you compare it to a 9-5 office based job but there is a wide range of employee positions out there which do not follow the typical 9-5 and 6 weeks off holiday deal. Maybe if you stepped out of your little blinkered world you might notice this. Teacher's time off it as the top end, but as I pointed out it is not up there on it's own. Teacher's time off is certainly a working pattern of the job.

I once had a job with flexi-time and this allowed me to work 8 hour days and gain an extra day off every two weeks. This amounts to around an extra 5 weeks off over the course of a year and it enabled me to go back packing during the summer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The postie has just delivered some parcels to me, so i presume the Post Offices are open.

Wish me luck as I'm going to try and post my letter now. Of course I will not cross any picket line, and I'll mutter scab under my breath if they serve me.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The sparks who did some work for me a while back buggered off to France regularly between jobs. It was very much his decision and not forced on him.

It might be 'eight f***ing weeks' when you compare it to a 9-5 office based job but there is a wide range of employee positions out there which do not follow the typical 9-5 and 6 weeks off holiday deal. Maybe if you stepped out of your little blinkered world you might notice this. Teacher's time off it as the top end, but as I pointed out it is not up there on it's own. Teacher's time off is certainly a working pattern of the job.
Typical ?? If you think that then I think you'll find you are the blinkered one lacking a grasp on reality.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How about thinking of time spent working instead of holiday. Most teachers I know work around 60 hours a week

so they have opted out of the working time directive, or are volunteering to do additional hours. if neither of these, why is their union not resolving this far more immediate issue?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Typical ?? If you think that then I think you'll find you are the blinkered one lacking a grasp on reality.

Yes, I do believe that 9-5 is the typical work pattern of people in this country. I mean this as a term for office hours, not literally 9 until 5pm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Then you know the hardest working teachers in the world then , I’ve worked 50 hours plus a week for as long as I can remember .

Maybe this is why your so angry and stressed? You want to cut back on those hours, it's not healthy.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Maybe this is why your so angry and stressed? You want to cut back on those hours, it's not healthy.
Unfortunately I work in the private sector,where a profit has to be shown, perhaps if I worked in the public sector and had one of the many but by no means all cushy, totally unnecessary jobs that exist , then that may be possible.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
so they have opted out of the working time directive, or are volunteering to do additional hours. if neither of these, why is their union not resolving this far more immediate issue?

Broadly speaking the NUT did a fine job some years back getting a small amount of planning preparation and assessment time into teachers timetables, paperwork has gone up a lot since then. Helping kids with work before or after school is not part of your hours, nor is bothering to do decent marking, calling parents, most meetings, detentions, reports for child protection meetings etc.

Most teachers just accept that to provide a decent education they work like dogs until the end of term then get spectacularly drunk and spend a fair chunk of their holidays recuperating (from exhaustion not just the hangover)

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Unfortunately I work in the private sector,where a profit has to be shown, perhaps if I worked in the public sector and had one of the many but by no means all cushy, totally unnecessary jobs that exist , then that may be possible.

Er, how dare you. As I look outside my office window I can see our once proud country slipping into some post-apocalyptic mad-max style dystopian nightmare as those brave souls without whom our civilisation ceases to exist, take the day off.

Oh, hold on. Burgess Hill always looks like this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd disagree , and I'd certainly disagree on 6 weeks holiday being typical, which you've conspicuously omitted .

How do you disagree?

6 weeks is typical is it not? Say 4 weeks during the year and bank holidays and Xmas takes it to arround 6 weeks for most jobs in this country.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
True. But I know other self-employed people who do the line of work I do and also tradesmen who take holidays consistent with those of teachers. Teachers might get 'more' holiday compared to employed people but not when compared to the work-force as a whole. They're at the upper end of the holiday range but I do not really see it as a perk as such, more part of the working pattern of the job. My time off is a combination of the ebb and flow of my work and me asking for the time off. Again, not a perk. Mind you this year I have had only 26 days holiday...which was written in contract.

You are quite mad aren`t you ? Tradesmen voluntarily taking 12 weeks holiday a year ?12 weeks holiday for teachers... Not a perk ? Oh dear a least you`ve made me laugh this morning. Well done.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Or maybe were more efficient at your job? A boss once said to me that it reflected badly on him if his staff were regularly working long hours as it meant he had not employed the right people.

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
I work in the Private Sector and fully support the strike, so I decided to use my right to strike with you. Oh god, my employer has just phoned to say I,m sacked!
Can I have a job in the public sector now, please. Oh, I forgot, my previous employer just told me my zero pension fund will be passed on to add to the new fund at my new public sector job. So all is good! p.s Any disillusioned public striker wanting a private sector job can now have mine. Pay £17k Pension Zero.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You are quite mad aren`t you ? Tradesmen voluntarily taking 12 weeks holiday a year ?12 weeks holiday for teachers... Not a perk ? Oh dear a least you`ve made me laugh this morning. Well done.

Pay and holiday I do not generally see as perks. It's the compensation you get for doing the job. I see perks as things like free flights, free gig tickets. free train travel. The sparks I refer to does not see chosing when he works as a perk of his job. It's nothing more that a choice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I work in the Private Sector and fully support the strike, so I decided to use my right to strike with you. Oh god, my employer has just phoned to say I,m sacked!

Join a union then you fool.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
You seem to have moved on with out responding to my post? What argument? What are you talking about? Are you stupid?
1. Yes I did.
2. The point applied to any argument. Read the post of yours I commented on and try using your short term memory if you want to be more specific.
3. In each case I think that is clear unless you have impaired cognitive function. Right now I am talking about you and this list addresses each of your questions in turn. Hope that helps.
4. The quantifying of intelligence is fraught with bias and inaccuracy whatever the methodology. If you want to go with IQ I'm well inside 99.9th percentile so no seems a safe answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here