Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music at Withdean

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
If we did EVERYTHING just to please the younger kids who have learned their tastes in entertainment off the radio and telly, we'd get rid of that team that wears the blue and white stripes and replace them with ... Chelsea or Manchester United.

Maybe it would be better, though, to wean them on to the FACT that supporting BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION is a different experience altogether.

What experience is that then?

One where kids can go along to listen to crap punk records, and watch beardy men sup real ale whilst talking about the 'good old days' (actually, really bad) in a shiny, quarter-filled stadium?

Look, thanks a million for FFA and all that (genuinely), but every junior Seagull is as important as you now. If not more so.

Thankfully, I think Mr Bloom gets it...

Coould I just add to the debate that the sheer crapiness of the PA system's reproductin makes ANY recorded music at Withdean well nigh unlistenable. Even if we had the London Symphony Orchestra being played, it would still soundlike a violin bow extracting teeth.

Oh, and could we check the volume levels in the South stand, Sometimes its so loud that you can't even hear myself shouting at Murray to get onside

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If we did EVERYTHING just to please the younger kids who have learned their tastes in entertainment off the radio and telly, we'd get rid of that team that wears the blue and white stripes and replace them with ... Chelsea or Manchester United.

Maybe it would be better, though, to wean them on to the FACT that supporting BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION is a different experience altogether.

AND, subjecting people to a groundhog day, of Now That's What I Call New Wave 1974, is absolutley NOT part of the 'Albion' experience. Its something that we've been lumbered with at Withdean, and people have accepted it until now, Its got NOTHING to with 'supporting the Albion'.

The records we were played in the 80's at the Goldsrone were more current and relevant than the ones we hear now. Mostly shit, but more current none the less.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What experience is that then?

One where kids can go along to listen to crap punk records, and watch beardy men sup real ale whilst talking about the 'good old days' (actually, really bad) in a shiny, quarter-filled stadium?

That sounds like FUN to me. Tell you what I will bring my kids along as well if thats ok.

. Of course, when we get to Falmer, things will be very different. There will be a proper PA, for a start, and enough time to give all genres a proper airing, from teen pop hits to, yes, The Clash. Whoever the DJ is.

I just DAARE you to play YES :eek::ohmy::eek::thumbsup::laugh:

Last edited:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
the music experience at withers was ok for a couple of years when we moved back to brighton and was i suspect a necessary distraction from the terrible place that withdean actually is.

but come the day we move to falmer this has to change completely: as mentioned above we need to be inclusive for the sake of the future fans who are our kids. i really can't see how playing the undertones ad infinitum is anything other than exclusive, cliquey, and ultimate a self-indulgence that we neither need nor want.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Agreed I guess. As I said in my original post, what I have tried to do is play stuff which will appeal to a wide cross section of older fans, given that Gully's Girls play stuff the youngest are most likely to enjoy. And the personal feedback I have had over the years (which must be at least as reliable as a relatively small series of posts on NSC, itself after all a relatively small representation of our fanbase) has been 80% positive, I'd say. Warren, I never pretended to be John Peel, but I am passionate about music and have earned my living out of it for 30 years (with no small thanks to John Peel!) so there's no need to come with personal abuse. Now I have to go and do family stuff which, I must say, puts all of this into perspective. But I'm pleased I made one of my irregular appearances here...

I think his rattled!

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Oh For Fucks Sake Just Leave Attillia Alone. He's Done Millions Of Things For This Club, Miles More Than Anyone Else On Here. Where Would We Be Without His Inspiring Top Notch Poetry In The Days When We Weren't Even Allowed To Play Any Music At All. Who Cares About The Kids Anyway? They Don't Pay Any Money To The Club And They Should Be Paying Attention To The Official Matchday Magazine Rather Than Listening To f***ing Paparazzi By Lady Roux.
When We Get To Falmer And The Likes Of Bracknell And Atitillia Are HOUNDED Out Of The Club By Scum Like Tony Meola And Buzzer Poncemby-Smythe And We're All Supping Shit Fizzy Ale At £6.50 A Pint Under The Stand Listening To Modern Crap On The Tannoy, I KNOW I Won't Be The Only One WISHING It Was The Noughties Again Before The Idea Of Harveys On Tap As Suggested By Brackers Was Brutally Savaged On Here And Before Atitlililas Prized Teenage Kicks Vinyl Had Been Consigned To Ebay, And Nathan Elder Was Leading The Line.

Save Our Bracknell And Atitlia!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Balance, that's all that is required.

Personally I love The Clash, Undertones, Jam etc, but realise that we need to have JLS, Girls Aloud etc... as well to keep the younger fan base happy.

Hopefully when we go to Falmer whoever does the PA (why not Atilla) has a decent amount of time to play a full and varied selection.

What would be a mistake is to give up ALL of the stuff that Atilla plays - then we just become another Reading/Colchester/Southampton etc in a new stadium.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Why is there such a big fuss about the music anyway? If my memory serves me correctly the music played at the goldstone in the nine years I went there was unmitigated and constant shite(apart from godbtd, obviously...). It didn't deter me or any of the other kids from going? How come it's so important for kids now?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why is there such a big fuss about the music anyway? If my memory serves me correctly the music played at the goldstone in the nine years I went there was unmitigated and constant shite(apart from godbtd, obviously...). It didn't deter me or any of the other kids from going? How come it's so important for kids now?

Phil Collins? Tina Turner? Level 42? SHITE? Are you INSANE?

:jester:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Balance, that's all that is required.

Personally I love The Clash, Undertones, Jam etc, but realise that we need to have JLS, Girls Aloud etc... as well to keep the younger fan base happy.

Hopefully when we go to Falmer whoever does the PA (why not Atilla) has a decent amount of time to play a full and varied selection.

What would be a mistake is to give up ALL of the stuff that Atilla plays - then we just become another Reading/Colchester/Southampton etc in a new stadium.

Exactly.

I dont get why some think there is moaning on here and others are moaning at the moaners. And I have to say I though Wozza's last post in response to Lord B was as up your own arse and conceited as anything that he may have been complaining about in the original post.

This thread has by and large been an exchange of opinions and a healthy one at that in order to identify what makes us happy collectively. Some dont get to the ground until 5 mins before hand and others get there earlier. Some go to the pub and others do. Some like the music and some don't. Some want a little bit of variety and I doubt anybody could without displaying a level of prejudice disagree with that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Conclusive proof the club will need to employ a proper announcer at Falmer

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Conclusive proof the club will need to employ a proper announcer at Falmer

No it's not conclusive proof at all and it's this jump to illogical conclusions that makes this thread deviate from what it's about.

Now go back to your saucer of milk or we'll rename you Bitch Hut

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I'll tell you why - because it all adds up to a grim experience for kids in the family stand. It needs to feel like something the kiddies can relate to and that they like. Last Saturday seeing all those new faces in the family stand on a family fun day and then hearing the Clash bellow out - and another thing, the PA seems to work quite well in the family stand - really was disheartening.

Got to win their hearts and minds and I think we should be using every trick in the book to achieve that. If the rest of Withdean don't care then fine, but us parents need all the help we can get to keep our kiddies wanting to go.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And I have to say I though Wozza's last post in response to Lord B was as up your own arse and conceited as anything that he may have been complaining about in the original post.
Rude, maybe. But you're MILES off the mark.

Quite clearly, he's pissed off at the RIDICULOUS premise that Albion fans should be encouraging their fans to put up with dated shite because that's what we did when we were a tin pot local club for local people.

Because when I read Lord Bracknell's comment, I'm afraid that's how it read to me.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Do I sense that the balance of power is shifting somewhat.

Dont worry you will still be remembered at the cenotaph every year.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll tell you why - because it all adds up to a grim experience for kids in the family stand. It needs to feel like something the kiddies can relate to and that they like. Last Saturday seeing all those new faces in the family stand on a family fun day and then hearing the Clash bellow out - and another thing, the PA seems to work quite well in the family stand - really was disheartening.

Got to win their hearts and minds and I think we should be using every trick in the book to achieve that. If the rest of Withdean don't care then fine, but us parents need all the help we can get to keep our kiddies wanting to go.

Speaking as a parent of two in the family stand, who have been to every Saturday game this season, have got wet about nine times, cold 12 times, seen about six goals and a total of ONE WIN, I can agree that it is not always easy to keep their interest with what is happening on the pitch.

If music they know and like goes one TINY bit towards helping, what kind of backward-looking throwbacks could possibly argue against it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here