Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music at Withdean

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
play a 12 minute (of) Phil Collins

Phil Collins - Mama (Breakdown Mix) ... and it is about 12 minutes long!

Balearic classic!

As legend goes, Terry Farley, on his return to England from Ibiza in '88, played this club edit to a very non-balearic Brighton crowd who proceededd to bottle the poor DJ off the decks.

I want a balearic set before kick-off, this would be bestest.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Right! Challenge accepted, my stroppy "down with the kids" DJ chum. A 12 minute cd ready for the home game on 13th March.

Yo! PMB in da house :clap2:

ps Any chance you could stick something by The Cave-ster (of this Parish) in da mix? You know, something like 'The Mercy Seat' or 'Tupelo': just to cheer the kids up, like. You know it makes sense! :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This could be a quality idea. People get to do a 12 minute DJ spot, with an article in the programme that both promotes the idea of the DJ and asks for feedback on previous DJs.

Ultimately it's got to be about getting the fans in the mood to get behind the team, right? No self indulgent bollocks, even if that means DJs putting aside their personal 30 year old music preferences...

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
This could be a quality idea. People get to do a 12 minute DJ spot, with an article in the programme that both promotes the idea of the DJ and asks for feedback on previous DJs.

Ultimately it's got to be about getting the fans in the mood to get behind the team, right? No self indulgent bollocks, even if that means DJs putting aside their personal 30 year old music preferences...

I actually think this is a quality idea too. I have been playing the music for a very long time, and would be happy if this was accepted. I'll talk to the powers that be about it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
The bigger issue is Falmer. The club really needs to work hard to get the next generation of fans in - and to keep them.

So don't play ANY punk, post-punk or self-indulgent crap at Falmer, for god's sake.

No one was playing Vera Lynn when I first started going to the Goldstone in the 70s...

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
The bigger issue is Falmer. The club really needs to work hard to get the next generation of fans in - and to keep them.

So don't play ANY punk, post-punk or self-indulgent crap at Falmer, for god's sake.

No one was playing Vera Lynn when I first started going to the Goldstone in the 70s...

So you mean 'don't play music with guitars in'?
There are LOADS of great punk (and ska, and ska-punk, and rap-ska-punk, and you name it) bands out there who are about 20. And loads of people of 20 who like and are inspired by old school punk, as they are by 90s dance and 80s whatever! Very Lynn was a completely different musical style...everything these days steals from everything else. It's not as simple as that!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I don't go to the football to listen to music. Certainly not the ridiculously loud barrage you get at some grounds. You can't even hold a conversation with the people around you... start singing... etc... in fact often I think there would be a better atmosphere if there wasn't any at all.... at least then by the kick off we would have warmed up our voices, done the sparring with the opposition fans, and be ready to get behind the team, rather than the sudden drop in volume that you get now.

The best thing about Withdean is definitely the crap PA system!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Right Here Right Now - that's the one.
Mr. Meola - as I said before....Gully's Girls dance to that sort of stuff every week. You're surely not suggesting we play NOTHING BUT? Hang on, seems like you are......

Yes I am and not ashamed to admit it.

Those who know me, know its not my cup of tea but Im prepared to forego it to keep the kids/masses happy.

Its like when my kids get in my car im afraid it has to be Radio 1 or Heart or whatever its called now.

There are lots and LOTS of music snobs on here. E.G Morrissey FFS. Thats just as self indulgent as to what they are accusing you of!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There are LOADS of great punk (and ska, and ska-punk, and rap-ska-punk, and you name it) bands out there who are about 20. And loads of people of 20 who like and are inspired by old school punk, as they are by 90s dance and 80s whatever! Very Lynn was a completely different musical style...everything these days steals from everything else. It's not as simple as that!

There may be loads of great punk bands but it's niche stuff. It's all well and good being a niche DJ playing stuff you like to people who love your music - my preferences would be minimal techno, breakbeat, northern soul, really cheesy french stuff and so on and so forth but if you're playing to such a wide cross section then I'd say it's likely to alienate large sections.

And music has always borrowed from other styles. It's not a new phenomenon. Anyhow, I've set myself up to be shot down with my choice which will start with the mighty Jedward and a tune borrowed from Vanilla Ice.

"did you stop? No - I just drove by"

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

Probably not but didn't they have the Sally Army band around the centre circle in those days? I'm sure they would have given us a few bars of 'Onward Christian Soldiers' and some of their other hits - and a live version of GOSBTS.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
There may be loads of great punk bands but it's niche stuff. It's all well and good being a niche DJ playing stuff you like to people who love your music - my preferences would be minimal techno, breakbeat, northern soul, really cheesy french stuff and so on and so forth but if you're playing to such a wide cross section then I'd say it's likely to alienate large sections.

And music has always borrowed from other styles. It's not a new phenomenon. Anyhow, I've set myself up to be shot down with my choice which will start with the mighty Jedward and a tune borrowed from Vanilla Ice.

"did you stop? No - I just drove by"

Brett would literally COME in his pants.

That wont be nice as I sit next to him.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

So, not content with trying to give us all a musical education via the PA at Withdean, you're now doing it on a messageboard. You're not John Peel, mate, and never will be. Give it up!

Who said anything about 20-year-olds?! They're too busy having a laugh with friends/arriving late from the pub to give a shit about the music.

I'm talking about children. And families. The future of the Albion.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So, not content with trying to give us all a musical education via the PA at Withdean, you're now doing it on a messageboard. You're not John Peel, mate, and never will be. Give it up!

Who said anything about 20-year-olds?! They're too busy having a laugh with friends/arriving late from the pub to give a shit about the music.

I'm talking about children. And families. The future of the Albion.

I love you Wozza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here