Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music at Withdean

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Good retort attila, although you cant blame anyone for thinking it might have been a shade self indulgent on occasions over the last 10 yrs to be fair.

One massive agreement though is the music after a goal syndrome that has haunted some clubs that should know better, palace for one, if we ever do that at falmer, i shall personally seek out the DJ and wring his neck, I want to hear the fans when we score, not some recently adopted "our theme" that everyone claps in rhythm to and sings and, oh god, need i go on!! Awful!!! Moments like the celebrations at aston villa, they`re what you live for, imagine that drowned out by "glad all over" or some other utter tripe!! Yuk.

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
I remember what first got me hooked on the Albion as a kid...

The Spice Girls being played pre-match. You just don't get that kind of thing these days.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
There may be loads of great punk bands but it's niche stuff. It's all well and good being a niche DJ playing stuff you like to people who love your music - my preferences would be minimal techno, breakbeat, northern soul, really cheesy french stuff and so on and so forth but if you're playing to such a wide cross section then I'd say it's likely to alienate large sections.

And music has always borrowed from other styles. It's not a new phenomenon. Anyhow, I've set myself up to be shot down with my choice which will start with the mighty Jedward and a tune borrowed from Vanilla Ice.

"did you stop? No - I just drove by"

Agreed I guess. As I said in my original post, what I have tried to do is play stuff which will appeal to a wide cross section of older fans, given that Gully's Girls play stuff the youngest are most likely to enjoy. And the personal feedback I have had over the years (which must be at least as reliable as a relatively small series of posts on NSC, itself after all a relatively small representation of our fanbase) has been 80% positive, I'd say. Warren, I never pretended to be John Peel, but I am passionate about music and have earned my living out of it for 30 years (with no small thanks to John Peel!) so there's no need to come with personal abuse. Now I have to go and do family stuff which, I must say, puts all of this into perspective. But I'm pleased I made one of my irregular appearances here...

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Fine Bozzer, since I am not on here all that often best email me at attila@attilathestockbroker.com - and Westlife, that's OLD HAT!
As for John Catt - that is an extra reason I can't wait for the last ever game at Withdean!!!
Mr Catt, here is your parting playlist. Motorhead, Einsturzende Neubauten, Rammstein, Extreme Noise Terror, Death By Milkfloat, Cannibal Corpse.....

Don't forget Annotations Of An Autopsy.

[yt]AcFW6u-2U4Y[/yt]

All together now...

SHE BLED FROM EVERY f***ing HOLE!! :smokin:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Heard on Tuesday (great result, brilliant atmosphere!) that the complaints here about the Withdean music had resurfaced, so I trawled through the site until I found ‘em and was most amused. It is only a little thing, but some people care – for and against – and I certainly do, so I thought I’d respond. EIGHT records? WHAT?? Too much ‘Teenage Kicks’? Haven’t played it for YONKS. Dinosaur stuck in 1977? BOLLOCKS! I love music. It’s my living and my life. I love it as much as the Albion, which is a LOT. My Itunes currently has 6175 songs on it, from MC5, The Clash and Rancid to Amy Winehouse, Biffy Clyro and The King Blues. To name five artists out of about five hundred. As a family we must have over 2000 CDs and a groaning attic full of vinyl. And (though some people will obviously be gobsmacked to hear this!) I consciously do my best to play stuff which will appeal to as many people as possible in the TEN TO TWELVE MINUTES (before ‘Sussex By The Sea’) that we have at Withdean.

Because, of course, it’s Withdean that’s the problem. Over the past eleven years I have developed a bloody great Withdean Sports Complex, and I’m sure most of you have too. I want the Albion to win – that’s the point – and if I thought it’d create an atmosphere which would bring that about I’d happily (OK, not happily, but…) play a 12 minute duet between Phil Collins and James f******g Blunt. It wouldn’t, would it? I’m not sure anything would. We’re all desperate to get to Falmer. And it ain’t the music which is going to raise the non existent roof, it’s what happens on the pitch. But we can try!

So when the occasion suits I play stuff which will hopefully raise a smile (recently ‘Something Better Change’ after we haven’t won at home for about a million years and Iggy’s brilliant version of ‘Louie Louie’ – where he actually SINGS ‘Lua Lua’ – to welcome our latest recruit.) For the rest, there’s normally FOUR records in those eleven minutes. Gully’s Girls dancing to modern chart pop stuff is one, a modern rock hit is one, then something from the 90s or 80s and a bit of 70s punk. Yes, I’ve thought about it. One per decade. Can’t say fairer than that, surely? Eleven minutes is not a long time.

In the last few weeks I’ve played Hard-Fi, Amy Winehouse, Fatboy Slim, The Clash, Libertines, Lightning Seeds, Zutons, Manics, Killers, Razorlight, King Blues, that ‘Battle Without Honour’ thing, The Enemy, Arctic Monkeys, Feeder, Graham Parker, Magazine, Mott The Hoople, Dexys, Stones, The Coral, Avril Lavigne, Blondie, Madness, Ash, Iggy, Scissor Sisters, Blur, Costello, Style Council, Springsteen, Bad Manners, Who, Faces, The Wombats, Stranglers, Specials, Jam, Ruts, Slade. Oh, and Seagulls Ska. When we’ve managed to win. Which hasn’t been very often! Mainstream chart hits all.
I have loads more modern stuff but don’t play it because I think people weren’t have heard of it (so I put ‘em on at Glastonwick instead..)

I’m not being self indulgent. If I was being self indulgent I’d play something from ‘Volk’ by Laibach – which would be as silly as playing, say, grime or hardcore techno. Or I’d play John Cale’s astonishing version of ‘Heartbreak Hotel’ from his ‘Slow Dazzle’ album. Which would be horribly appropriate for Withdean at the moment.

You can’t please all the people all the time. Musical taste is one of the most wonderful and diverse things about being human. But I must say that in the years since I started playing the music at Gillingham I have had a hell of a lot of favourable comments from fellow fans and away supporters who appreciate the fact that the music is a little bit different from the aural turbo-smegma (with accompanying raucous DJ and – vomit – MUSIC AFTER GOALS, often OUR BLOODY SONG!) you get at most grounds. Of course, when we get to Falmer, things will be very different. There will be a proper PA, for a start, and enough time to give all genres a proper airing, from teen pop hits to, yes, The Clash. Whoever the DJ is.

It’s great that some people care about music as much as I do – and great that some care enough to get pissed off at me for what I’m playing. I’d be very interested to hear an alternative selection, and I’m certainly not jealously guarding anything. So, Buzzer, since you obviously care a lot, get a twelve minute CD together, get it to the box (or join us in the box) and we’ll play it. I most certainly am NOT a dinosaur. Though I do have four albums by Tyrannosaurus Rex.

f***ing hell, who's upset her?

Have we really been through the ringer that much that we feel the need that we have to moan about something!

When we got rid of Archer/Bellotti we had Gillingham to moan about.
Got back to Brighton and Withdean was a shithole.
Now were going to Falmer we're resorting to moaning about the music played before kick off!!

Man alive!

Atilla, I wouldn't take anything you read on this board personally. No one really cares what you play, most people aren't in the ground until just before kick off and you can hardly hear the PA from the south stand anyway.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Warren, I never pretended to be John Peel, but I am passionate about music and have earned my living out of it for 30 years (with no small thanks to John Peel!) so there's no need to come with personal abuse.

John, I didn't write any personal abuse. Well, I did, but I deleted it before posting. :laugh:

Anyway, Arthur is right about the Withdean PA. No-one can hear anyway. Will be different at Falmer, though....

PutYourHandsUp...

Jun 6, 2009
If there are any (sensible) song suggestions that Gullys Girls could use we would be happy to use one of them. This week will be a current chart song, but we like to try and alternate and do a retro one too, any ideas guys? xx

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
If there are any (sensible) song suggestions that Gullys Girls could use we would be happy to use one of them. This week will be a current chart song, but we like to try and alternate and do a retro one too, any ideas guys? xx

to keep my little chap* hapy I refer you to the list I posted earlier

* thats my 3 year old son before we get any smutty innuendo on here

If we did EVERYTHING just to please the younger kids who have learned their tastes in entertainment off the radio and telly, we'd get rid of that team that wears the blue and white stripes and replace them with ... Chelsea or Manchester United.

Maybe it would be better, though, to wean them on to the FACT that supporting BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION is a different experience altogether.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

'Push It' by Salt n Pepa perhaps? That'd get some of the oldies excited. :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agreed I guess. As I said in my original post, what I have tried to do is play stuff which will appeal to a wide cross section of older fans, given that Gully's Girls play stuff the youngest are most likely to enjoy. And the personal feedback I have had over the years (which must be at least as reliable as a relatively small series of posts on NSC, itself after all a relatively small representation of our fanbase) has been 80% positive, I'd say. Warren, I never pretended to be John Peel, but I am passionate about music and have earned my living out of it for 30 years (with no small thanks to John Peel!) so there's no need to come with personal abuse. Now I have to go and do family stuff which, I must say, puts all of this into perspective. But I'm pleased I made one of my irregular appearances here...

Out of interest

And the 20% that didnt?

Did you by chance go to Gully's Xmas party and ask the fans there? The future support and the parents?

NSC has a varied cross section of tastes. However it IS a SMALL section of the support and thus meaningless.

We are talking about the masses.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If we did EVERYTHING just to please the younger kids who have learned their tastes in entertainment off the radio and telly, we'd get rid of that team that wears the blue and white stripes and replace them with ... Chelsea or Manchester United.

Maybe it would be better, though, to wean them on to the FACT that supporting BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION is a different experience altogether.

What a ridiculous comment.

Every generation has its influences. Even yours.

By extension, we should never have started playing ska and punk in the first place.

Everything about supporting the Albion is starting to move forward. It's a professional football club, not a working mans club.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
There is ABSOLUTELY no excuse for The Clash at a Family Day.

None, zip, NADA.

As for a different experience it certainly is at the moment. I look forward to the day when I can take my kids to Falmer and Poker Face is BLARING over tannoy and the kids in the Family Stand are going my my my my my myyy Pokerrrr Face, Pokerrrr Face. And maybe a few adults too.

Instead of Daddy whats this rubbish??!!! Dont worry its something to keep the 5 people that like punk on NSC happy.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Christ, its 10 minutes before a football match not some bloody party in the park where you would get Lady GaGa Cherly Cole or such autotuned music.
Personally don't really care what is played over the tannoy because can't hear it anyway. If people really have nothing else to moan about then the club must be in pretty good shape!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Thanks for that. Tell you what, you go into the family stand and tell them that listening to music that they don't like nor relate to is character building.

It's bad enough as it is trying to get kids interested in the "withdean" experience without your suggestion that somehow it's morally superior for them to listen to punk than chart music.

Sometimes I wonder if people Like you actually want the Albion to be popular and successful or just for a tiny clique run by a tiny clique.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Christ, its 10 minutes before a football match not some bloody party in the park where you would get Lady GaGa Cherly Cole or such autotuned music.
Personally don't really care what is played over the tannoy because can't hear it anyway. If people really have nothing else to moan about then the club must be in pretty good shape!

Yes you dont. Other DO. Move along nothing to see here.

Why do people get to Withers late, coz its shit. Falmer on the other hand with its pre match bars and general ambiance...different story.

But its not about Withers its also about Falmer and f*** me if they get Atilla doing it then they will need their heads seeing to.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

'Girls' by them Sugarbabes types would be a winner. :wave:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Thanks for that. Tell you what, you go into the family stand and tell them that listening to music that they don't like nor relate to is character building.

It's bad enough as it is trying to get kids interested in the "withdean" experience without your suggestion that somehow it's morally superior for them to listen to punk than the chart music.

Sometimes I wonder if people Like you actually want the Albion to be the club to be popular and successful or just for a tiny clique run by a tiny clique.

I would also ADD that the family stand regulars get there earlier to avoid the "rush" pardon the expession.

They probably havent spent all afternoon in the pub and get there 5 mins before KO.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

When we get Falmer it will be the same experience as any other club and thank god for that.

Yes we can regale them with our tales when they say "what did you do in the war daddy" and how we didnt even play in Brighton for two years and that we were at an athletics track for over 10 years etc, etc

Then in years to come itll be like Uncle Albert "during the war..." and they will just glaze over whilst listening to whatever is in the charts BLARING over the Falmer tannoy!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here