Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee calls for patience - again

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Man of Harveys said:
The only way to deal with real trouble-makers is to get rid ASAP. But if McGhee had got rid of, say, Leon Knight early on before we'd all realised what a complete little twunt he was, he'd have been utterly slated by some for that too.

I'm well beyond defending the bloke too - unfortunately our shite results are digging his grave for him at the moment more effectively than any campaign by a bunch of blokes of varying intelligence on some website ever could - but I'll also maintain that he's been very unfairly treated by some throughout.

That about sums it up for me. Although I do feel he deserves a couple more games to turn it around.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I actually feel a bit sorry for McGhee in all of this

I am not sure anyone could have done what he has done over the last couple of years.

In fact, I would even go further and suggest that Adams, taylor and Coppell all saw this situation coming regarding falmer and jumped ship. At least MM has stayed and taken the flak as it were.

its not his fault we cannot spent anything over £100k on a player and I am sure not many managers would have had the balls to phone Strachen and offer him Virgo for £1.5 million!!!! ( and he got money for Currie and Cullip)

Last edited:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Dies Irae said:
I actually feel a bit sorry for McGhee in all of this

I am not sure anyone could have done what he has done over the last couple of years.

In fact, I would even go further and suggest that Adams, taylor and Coppell all saw this situation coming regarding falmer and jumped ship. At least MM has stayed and taken the flak as it were.

its not his fault we cannot spent anything over £100k on a player and I am sure not many managers would have had the balls to phone Strachen and offer him Virgo for £1.5 million!!!! ( and he got money for Currie and Cullip)

Hear Hear.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
bristolseagull said:
problem is mcghee has turned a reasonble team into a bunch of useless twats. He doesnt have aclue, his substitutions smack of incompetence and the way he deals with anyone with a bit of flair(or black) is disgraceful.

McGhee lost key players and the backbone of the team has been pretty much wrenched out.

So onto the black issue again....:nono: That is called a character assasination and slur. Nice one.

"he way he deals with anyone with a bit of flair..." I can think of better ways to describe someone like Leon or CKR, who clearly did not put in enough effort....

Yoda

English & European
I think McGhee’s main problem is that he comes from the hairdryer school of football management. We have, and have had a lot of player’s leave, who don’t produce the goods under that kind of motivation. Not all people are the same, some need a quite word in their ear and pat on the back, others need a rollicking and a kick up the arse to get the best out of them.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Dies Irae said:
I am sure not many managers would have had the balls to phone Strachen and offer him Virgo for £1.5 million!!!! ( and he got money for Currie and Cullip)

I don't think it was him that negotiated the price DI, that was Knight, and let's not forget we didn't want to sell originally, hence the over-inflated asking price.

MM turned Virgo's career around, no doubt about that, but to say that he got us that price for him is OTT.

I do feel a bit sorry for MM in all of this, because I still think he is being hung out to dry in some quarters, but I don't think the guy covers himself in glory with what he has to say, and the decisions he makes. That's the reason why something at manager level and above has to give, and it's obviously going to be him with Falmer etc etc still trying to be approved.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
supaseagull said:
Patience and marker pens are very similar...they both run out!
And Big Inzamam

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I think our patience with Magoo is running thin, I can't see our fortunes changing against Millwall on Saturday what could spell the end of Magoo, the longer we keep him in charge the worse it will get we may even slump into the depths of League Two and nobody wants that.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
and montgomerie

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
brightonfan_86 said:
I think our patience with Magoo is running thin, I can't see our fortunes changing against Millwall on Saturday what could spell the end of Magoo, the longer we keep him in charge the worse it will get we may even slump into the depths of League Two and nobody wants that.

I don't think losing at Millwall will be the end, but failure to bet both Bournemouth and Leyton Orient will turn the heat up big time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seagull73 said:
I don't think losing at Millwall will be the end, but failure to bet both Bournemouth and Leyton Orient will turn the heat up big time.

Losing to Millwall could mean being in the bottom four

sleepynick

Sep 1, 2004
Saigon, Vietnam
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
But what baffles me is the tactics, substitutions, players out of position, continual playing of injured/out of form players, strange first team choices, a team that doesnt seem motivated, gash set pieces (last season), unfit players, saying some games dont matter etc etc. Sorry but that IS down to the manager.

And you cant blame wages, stadium, facilities for THAT.

The board have been seemingly happy to sell off any decent experienced player in which any interest is shown, as a pretty futile attempt to plug the FALMER back hole.

This has resulted in a depleted squad, and to add insult to injury with the money not being ploughed back into investing into new players, there is no real budget for transfers. An even the players that we can afford are risky, either due to being out of form, lacking fitness, possible attitude problems, or young, but what choice does the manager or club realistivally have? And that's players that have chosen to ignore the facts of a shit ground and an uncertain short-medium term future for the club.

You can't blame the manager for THAT!

Ok so MM does have a history of playing players out of position and odd substitutions and tactics, but given the lack of strength and depth, its a tough challenge don't you think? One that Peter Taylor wasn't happy to accept. There are examples where playing people out of position has been necessary and even beneficial.

The likelihood is that MM will be gone at the end of the year and it will be interesting to see how the next manager copes with these working conditions, given that the club will be the same/worse financial situation next May, but until then I will look at results rather than the scaremongering and witch-huntery that has come to dominate this board in recent weeks. I wonder how quickly things will change on NSC when we start to string a few results together, or for that matter when we get a loan signing in.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
But then results have actually been poor since February 2005, so what difference is a couple more games going to make?

But it is a new season and we started well. 2 more games then I would say the rot is unstopable and he has to go.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
But the rot set in 19 months ago and is still there.

But the circumstances are different now to what they were 6 months ago. Wilkins is in there, we are a division below and the team is in a transitional phase so I am willing to give it two more games to see if MM is capable of turning things round on the pitch. Don't get me wrong I think the rot is there but it is right at the last chance of being salvagable for MM.

I get the feeling whatever I say you are gonna rebut it in some way so I'm just gonna give up now.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Les Biehn said:
But the circumstances are different now to what they were 6 months ago. Wilkins is in there, we are a division below and the team is in a transitional phase so I am willing to give it two more games to see if MM is capable of turning things round on the pitch. Don't get me wrong I think the rot is there but it is right at the last chance of being salvagable for MM.

I get the feeling whatever I say you are gonna rebut it in some way so I'm just gonna give up now.

But we seem to be slipping into the same mode as last season.

Get rid now, before it gets worse, the season has not gone down the pan, yet.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
But we seem to be slipping into the same mode as last season.

Get rid now, before it gets worse, the season has not gone down the pan, yet.

And it won't have in 2 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here