Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McCammon on the phone-in

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Harty seems very defensive in the interview. I'd love to see the transcript of what he actually said that prompted Mark McCammon to phone in.

In the end, I agree with Chappers. Our players are getting too precious about the criticism they receive. It has ALWAYS been part and parcel of the game as long as I can remember and seems to be the flip side of the job. The positive side being PAID A DECENT AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR A 4 DAY WEEK AND A LONG HOLIDAY.

And are we any worse than fans of any other team who have struggled in their division for two seasons running? I don't think so. Look at West Ham - apparently there were boos after their cup game on Saturday and they had just won 4-2!

Last edited:

Brap

Feb 1, 2006
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I think our players need to stop being so f***ing precious. If you don't want to hear bad things said then a) PLAY BETTER or b) DON'T LISTEN to a FANS PHONE IN.

McCammon is a poor player, no two ways about it. What exactly has he done in his career to make anybody think otherwise? Please tell me.

He can blame watever he likes, phone ins, atmosphere or even lack of creativitty. None of these things will change the fact that he JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

Based on what? 4 games this season? about 13 games in total... where he has been constantly dogged by injuries.

He scored goals at Brentford, and was part of a Millwall team that reached the FA Cup Final. Admittedly he isnt great - but he is no worse than anything else weve got.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Brap said:
Well I have, and its f***ing embarrasing.

And, "The full Harris" - how is he meant to score when we create f*** all every game - how is CKR meant to score, or Robinson or any of the strikers?? Answer me that. He's a target man, he's hardly going to skin 5 players and score an incredible solo effort. Players of his style thrive on service, good balls into the box - that is frankly non happening. He's had 3 game back from injury and you've already decided he's the worst player in the squad, and you boo him on matchdays - f***ing Pathetic mate.

I've never booed Macca, never booed any Albion player, think it's just plain wrong. But Macca - and ok he's had his injuries - seem to me to be one of the laziest players I've seen in an Albion shirt for years. The ball doesn't get magnetically attracted to his boot, he has to put some effort in, too.

When Macca is fully fit, he will have the chance to prove us all wrong. And by God I hope he does.

Coventry in the cup - we outplayed them in midfield and the strikers had many goal-attempts, all of which went begging. That wasn't the midfield's fault. We just have a lack of confidence in front of goal, all of the lads have.

So lets hope the fans can get behind the boys at Cov on Saturday and suck that ball in the net.

I don't think I've ever seen a match fit McCammon in all the time he's been here. I don't think that it's all down to match fitness with McCammon though.

This is my point though, no one has seen him match fit. I'm not saying he will suddenly magic into T.Henry when 100% fit but at this level you get easily shown up if you are not in top condition. Does he have an attitude problem? Quite possibly but I thought he showed bottle going on the phone-in last night.

Brap

Feb 1, 2006
eastlondonseagull said:

Coventry in the cup - we outplayed them in midfield and the strikers had many goal-attempts, all of which went begging. That wasn't the midfield's fault. We just have a lack of confidence in front of goal, all of the lads have.

So lets hope the fans can get behind the boys at Cov on Saturday and suck that ball in the net.

Yeah but if you noticed - as soon as McCammon came on against Coventry he freed up alot of space for the rest of the team. He didn't have chances himself to score, but theres no doubt he helped us play alot better football. CKR should of scored - no excuse for that. But if our players could cross, McCammon would be a very useful option - I think Coventry highlights that further.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So he hasn't been match fit for two seasons? Is that the fault of the atmosphere, the phone in or the lack of service he gets from his teammates?

Brap

Feb 1, 2006
Simster said:

And are we any worse than fans of any other team who have struggled in their division for two seasons running? I don't think so. Look at West Ham - apparently there were boos after their cup game on Saturday and they had just won 4-2!

I'm not being funny, but the actual matchday atmosphere at Withdean is definately one of the worst ive experienced and I've been to alot of grounds. The fact that pretty much noone sings unless we score or get a corner is f***ing embarrasing - and even then its one chorus of "Seagulls Seagull" or "ALBBBIOOOON" then it just dies out. At away games we are very good, but the Withdean atmosphere is completely non existant - 700 away fans outsing us every week - The ground is a shit whole, but the fans could at least try and make it better for the players - sadly some seem to interested in just turning on our own.

So he hasn't been match fit for two seasons? Is that the fault of the atmosphere, the phone in or the lack of service he gets from his teammates?

No. But to be fair the guy has had 2 operations this season, he's hardly faking it is he?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Brap said:
I'm not being funny, but the actual matchday atmosphere at Withdean is definately one of the worst ive experienced and I've been to alot of grounds. The fact that pretty much noone sings unless we score or get a corner is f***ing embarrasing - and even then its one chorus of "Seagulls Seagull" or "ALBBBIOOOON" then it just dies out. At away games we are very good, but the Withdean atmosphere is completely non existant - 700 away fans outsing us every week - The ground is a shit whole, but the fans could at least try and make it better for the players - sadly some seem to interested in just turning on our own.

Am with you there mate.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Brap said:
Admittedly he isnt great - but he is no worse than anything else weve got.

Sorry to disagree but he is a WHOLE lot worse.

a)Carole gives us flair and skill, and is a BETTER player.

b) CKR has youth and skill, and shows signs of tremendous potential, and is a BETTER player

c) Jakey has proven that while he may never be the great white hope NSC predicted, he also shows signs that there is potential, tries hard, and is a BETTER player

d) Even Chris McPhee, he may never make the grade, but in his outings over the years has put in 120% and has at least made a CONTRIBUTION.

I think that just about summs things up.

Brap

Feb 1, 2006

No its the fact he's been very unlucky with injuries.

At Brentford when he was fully fit he scored goals - and at Millwall he must of done something right if MM wanted to be reunited with him.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Brap said:
Well I have, and its f***ing embarrasing.

And, "The full Harris" - how is he meant to score when we create f*** all every game - how is CKR meant to score, or Robinson or any of the strikers?? Answer me that. He's a target man, he's hardly going to skin 5 players and score an incredible solo effort. Players of his style thrive on service, good balls into the box - that is frankly non happening. He's had 3 game back from injury and you've already decided he's the worst player in the squad, and you boo him on matchdays - f***ing Pathetic mate.

No, I decided he was the worst player last season mate.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Has he ever been match fit in his entire career?

It would explain why he's barely in double figures on the goal count.

Rougvie said:

b) CKR has youth and skill, and shows signs of tremendous potential, and is a BETTER player

c) Jakey has proven that while he may never be the great white hope NSC predicted, he also shows signs that there is potential, tries hard, and is a BETTER player

d) Even Chris McPhee, he may never make the grade, but in his outings over the years has put in 120% and has at least made a CONTRIBUTION.

And now I agree with all of your points! :eek:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Brap said:

At Brentford when he was fully fit he scored goals - and at Millwall he must of done something right if MM wanted to be reunited with him.

I think his best tally at Brenford was 7 or 8 in one season. Hardly great and that was in the league below.

It is not a problem that he is not that talented, as long as he makes us for that with effort, but there are times where looks plan lazy on the pitch.

Regarding his fitness, fair enough he has had the foot problem this year, you cannot legislate for that. However when he signed for us last season, he had not been out injured at Millwall, just out of favour. So you expect him not to be match fit, but he was not even physically fit and for a professional sportsman to let his fitness drop that much is a disgrace.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Rougvie said:

Yeah! :clap:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Brap said:

At Brentford when he was fully fit he scored goals .

10 in 46 games, 26 as sub. Okay, he scored goals. Not many, at a lower level than this and over a three season period.

This does not convince me that he is a good player and as for McGhee wanting to be reunitd with him? Well, I'm not a graet one to talk to about McGhee's judgement to be honest.

Brap

Feb 1, 2006
Rougvie said:

a) Carole isnt a striker - playing him there wastes his most useful asset which is running at players down the wing. For all his skills though, the lack of end product is frustrating.

b) CKR may have "tremendous potential" - but come on hes scored 5 goals in about 30 appearances. He has all the assets to be a great player, but for some reason just doesnt use any of them (a bit like McCammon in that respect) - out of the two i'd rather play McCammon.. but thats just me.

c) Jakey for me has shown very little - a few nice touches here and there, but in my opinion he still doesnt seem up to the senior game. Looks like a small fish in a big pond in my opinion. Needs to become a lot stronger and get some confidence (which admitedly is hard with the Withdean crowd) - In a few years he could be a very good player, but at the moment I still dont feel he's up to it.

d) Chis McPhee.........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here