Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McCammon on the phone-in

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
We'll know Oatway is on when we see something like this.....

''shut up u no we tri are hardist 2 play futball 4 bryton leev us alown or i wil smak yoo''

Albion Rob

McCammon's whole existence at this club was summed up last season at home to Leicester when he had a free header five yards out that he merely needed to direct on target.

I jeld my breath, I grabbed my girlfriend, I prepared to tumble over green plastic seats at we took a giant three-point leap towards safety.

But the twat put it over. By a distance.

And there, ladies and gentlemen, for your examination, was Mark McCammon. I don't care how injured you are, if you can't get that on target then you should maybe look at becoming a mechanic.

People don't get on his back out of spite. If he was banging in goals, or even almost banging in goals then poeple would give him a lot more time. Instead all we see is a sulky face, a run down a blind alley, possibly a trip over the ball and then the ref pointing for a goal kick.

And he didn't want to go to a lower division club on loan? Jesus Christ, some poeple really have no self awareness whatsoever.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Albion Rob said:
McCammon's whole existence at this club was summed up last season at home to Leicester when he had a free header five yards out that he merely needed to direct on target.

I jeld my breath, I grabbed my girlfriend, I prepared to tumble over green plastic seats at we took a giant three-point leap towards safety.

And there, ladies and gentlemen, for your examination, was Mark McCammon. I don't care how injured you are, if you can't get that on target then you should maybe look at becoming a mechanic.

People don't get on his back out of spite. If he was banging in goals, or even almost banging in goals then poeple would give him a lot more time. Instead all we see is a sulky face, a run down a blind alley, possibly a trip over the ball and then the ref pointing for a goal kick.

And he didn't want to go to a lower division club on loan? Jesus Christ, some poeple really have no self awareness whatsoever.

That about sums it up perfectly. :clap:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He had a good point. The crowd were terrible last night, those that turned up that is.

Albion Rob said:

Right, so in missing that one chance (it was just over, not by a distance as you so stupidly claim), that "sums" him up, eh? Are you so generous to all the other of our players who miss clear chances too? I wonder who we would have left in our squad if that was your criteria for shipping players out.

He has scored three excellent headed goals while at the club and while he certainly has weaknesses as the squad player that he is, his work in the air ain't one of them :)

It's the mark of a witch-hunting mentality that it has to exaggerate the faults of a player whose real strengths and weaknesses are there for all to see.

dwayne said:
Brap = McCammon
More of your idiotic sleuthing :dunce:

Fair play to Brap, don't agree with every dot and comma of his reasoning but nice to see he dished out a few home truths to the perpetual anti-Big Mac bores on here.

Where I would disagree with Brap is his eulogising of our away support. The worst, most pathetic barracking of Big Mac I hear constantly is at away grounds, not at Withdean.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
London Irish said:

Where I would disagree with Brap is his eulogising of our away support. The worst, most pathetic barracking of Big Mac I hear constantly is at away grounds, not at Withdean.

I dunno about you but I was just a tad pissed off travelling all the way to burnley last year to watch him mope around first half and do absolute fcuk all!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
sir danny cullip said:
I dunno about you but I was just a tad pissed off travelling all the way to burnley last year to watch him mope around first half and do absolute fcuk all!

Have to say I blew my top big time at him at Burnley.

Ask DTG, his knee bore the brunt of my frustration :ohmy:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Mark McCammon is the only Albion player I have slagged off when playing since Mark Farrington, which kind of says it all. I think I labelled him 'A useless piece of Shit' at 1000 Decibels after he trod on the ball versus Cov away last year. Albion Rob's description of the Salmon like rise at Leicester last year is also etched on my memory as a 'My Granny' moment of supporting the Albion.

Having listened to the phone in, all I can say is that I am rather amused by the matter. Harty comes across all Sally Gunnell, a fan before journalist and McCammon's rant about 'Until you become a pro footballer' is a classic. It would be quiet on here if only pro footballers could comment on Albion performances.

Good on him for phoning in but I'd rather he put his head down, sorted his differences out with McGhee and banged a few goals proving me and a few others wrong.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Mark is not a Championship striker - and whatever LI may say for a bloke his size his ability in the air is pretty shocking. His inability to even flick the ball on (the easiest type of header for a striker with decent timing) is case in point. He has a dreadful first touch and is slow. Not good points if you're supposed to be a centre forward.

Some of the points he raised last night however were valid - the lack of chances created etc. and the moaning of the crowd - last night was pathetic - but sometimes at home games the players need to spark the crowd - last time we were at home D'urso did it for us.

On his fall out (Again) with MM it does beg the question WHY did MM bring him to the club in the first place? He knew his ability (or lack of it) yet bought him to the club and now says bugger off you're not good enough for this standard of football.

I agree - he's not - but why bring him here in the first place ?

Anyway, off to Cov on Sat so FFS let's all get behind whatever team he puts out.

Regarding the subs last night - asumming Seb wasn't injured I would have taken Hammond (or even Chippy)off - and put Reid in the Middle - leaving CKR up front - (Seb back on the right) Carole is by far our best creative player - he is not a Centre Forward.

Why take off your most creative player aginst a team interested only in defending a going home with a point?

Also would have given Jake the last 10/15 for Hart.

Still believe we'll stay up - if we get the promised striker on this emergency loan - can't see us scoring enough goals without someone new in .

BHA Jordan

Dec 14, 2005
I respect the bloke for having the balls to call in, but for him to get upset over someone's opinion seriously makes me doubt whether he can hack it as a pro footballer.

What would he do if the whole ground booed everytime he touched the ball? Sit down and cry?

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Perhaps he should take a leaf out of Joey Barton's book. He was booed loudly for much of the game last night but still ran his socks off for the team. When he was substituted he got a standing ovation! The fans will get behind any player provided the said player realises that when he puts the shirt on he must give 100%. OGH is far from the most talented player our books and is hardly a prolific goalscorer but every fan knows he'll always give the team maximum effort and will happily play in any position the manager requires of him. You can't really ask anymore and that's why OGH is still one of the most popular players the Albion have.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The Great Cornholio said:
What he said! :clap: :clap:

And there are some ATROCIOUS WHINGERS at this club. Including the twat sat behind me who made me bite after 80 minutes of constant sniping. The coup de grace was when he wished CKR was injured.

Someone along from me made a very good point last night - Brighton fans have always expected too much. Rewind back to just after the playoff final when we were all talking about how difficult it would be to stay up, how we would struggle etc. Now it is a struggle as predicted and yet people constantly slag rather than support.

We all want new players, we all want wins. It ain't happening at the moment. So does that mean it is time to play the "I've watched this club for xxx years and pay the players wages" card and constantly slag? Everyone (myself included) whinges at a missed chance or strange decision by McGhee. If a player has a mare, I will call for him to be brought off. But if he subsequently plays again, he will have my support as he is representing MY team. If he is shit again, I will call for him to be subbed. But at the end of the day, MM picks the team and will never do so by democratic vote. People will always be unhappy with the team selection but to sit sniping for 90 minutes is not supporting your team. Having an opinion, expressing your opinion and constantly sniping at the players selected are very different things.

For me, McCammon has sealed his fate at the club by going public but was fully entitled to his right of reply - it is a public debate now, not a fanzine - and made some very salient points about support or lack thereof. I personally agree with the sentiment that he isn't good enough for this level but would be very disappointed if he thought the same and didn't feel the need to defend himself. The same as Ian Hart having his 5 minute rant about certain people on here criticising him. Right of reply is a two way street.

That's one of the bets posts I have ever seen on this thread...... bet someone takes you to atsk for it though. Well done:bowdown:

Albion Rob

London Irish said:
Right, so in missing that one chance (it was just over, not by a distance as you so stupidly claim), that "sums" him up, eh? Are you so generous to all the other of our players who miss clear chances too? I wonder who we would have left in our squad if that was your criteria for shipping players out.

He has scored three excellent headed goals while at the club and while he certainly has weaknesses as the squad player that he is, his work in the air ain't one of them :)

It's the mark of a witch-hunting mentality that it has to exaggerate the faults of a player whose real strengths and weaknesses are there for all to see.

Come off it, five yards out and the header goes over by a couple of foot - I would say that is over by a fair distance given he has the whole goal to aim at.

So, he has scored three 'excellent headed goals' while at the club (ironically one was a free header from four yards out against Sunderland - maybe he needs to be a bit closer in when he heads at goal?), well I'm not exactly overwhelmed given that he is a target man and is taller than most of the players he plays against.

As I have said before, if he was scoring goals or even looking like he was going to score goals, do you really think there would be this 'witch hunt'? I very much doubt it - in fact, if he were scoring the goals that were keeping us in this division then I reckon we would all be celebrating him as something of a demigod. However, the bottom line is he is not scoring goals, not creating many chances for others clearly not performing in training or endearing himself to the people who might pick him on a regular basis and is basically not contributing to a squad that is wafer thin at the best of times.

No, I don't think the odd bad miss should count against players but when it is a consistent occurance, alongside a lot of other issues on and off the pitch, sometime we just have to say it isn't working and the player has to leave.

Unfortunately, he considers himself 'too good' to play a league or two below - which is bizarre considering he has done little of note in this division.

I'm all for getting behind the lads and I know you really like McCammon but to defend him blindly borders on the obscene.

Albion Rob said:
(ironically one was a free header from four yards out against Sunderland
If you check your season review DVD, Rob, you will find he outjumped two Sunderland defenders to make that header.

I'm afraid it's a witch-hunting mentality again to misrepresent the good things he's done.

I'll repeat my point - he is a player with strengths and weaknesses. I would love a sensible debate about them, but it's simply not possible when people make up stuff about his workrate being poor (I've seen all bar one of his matches this season and know that's rubbish, the one I didn't see he was MOTM at Shrewsbury) or that he is weak in the air (patent nonsense).

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
If you check your season review DVD, Rob, you will find he outjumped two Sunderland defenders to make that header.

I'm afraid it's a witch-hunting mentality again to misrepresent the good things he's done.

I'll repeat my point - he is a player with strengths and weaknesses. I would love a sensible debate about them, but it's simply not possible when people make up stuff about his workrate being poor (I've seen all bar one of his matches this season and know that's rubbish, the one I didn't see he was MOTM at Shrewsbury) or that he is weak in the air (patent nonsense).

He isnt that bad in the air its the shite lay offs after he has it undercontrol.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just heard it again.

Why did Brighton call him back not to play him - that was unfair as Watford seemed to want to see him again.

Last edited:

KinkyNormanBaker said:
He isnt that bad in the air its the shite lay offs after he has it undercontrol.
His lay-off work has improved this season. You will recall the Millwall game where he set up two goal-scoring chances, the ball to Hammond for the first one was a particularly fine pass executed perfectly.

His two glaring weaknesses remain his general movement (not surprising as he's a big fella) and shooting power (on the weak side, similar to Jake and Carole), the latter means his scoring record is modest and probably always will be. His first touch is not that great but his control with the ball at his feet is underrated and he shields the ball very effectively.

His great strength is that Championship-level defenders are unsettled by his physique and he will win headers against the best defenders. I think that is where he has a big advantage over the likes of McPhee. He also works hard against the contraints of his lack of match fitness. The Burnley game where he refused to chase a couple of miss-hit balls to him and stood there blaming his midfielders was an exception that I've never seen him repeat since.

This is the balanced, fair picture of Big Mac's strengths and weaknesses.

He deserves criticism for his weaknesses, but not for people making up stuff about other supposed failings.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
His lay-off work has improved this season. You will recall the Millwall game where he set up two goal-scoring chances, the ball to Hammond for the first one was a particularly fine pass executed perfectly.

His two glaring weaknesses remain his general movement (not surprising as he's a big fella) and shooting power (on the weak side, similar to Jake and Carole), the latter means his scoring record is modest and probably always will be. His first touch is not that great but his control with the ball at his feet is underrated and he shields the ball very effectively.

His great strength is that Championship-level defenders are unsettled by his physique and he will win headers against the best defenders. I think that is where he has a big advantage over the likes of McPhee. He also works hard against the contraints of his lack of match fitness. The Burnley game where he refused to chase a couple of miss-hit balls to him and stood there blaming his midfielders was an exception that I've never seen him repeat since.

This is the balanced, fair picture of Big Mac's strengths and weaknesses.

He deserves criticism for his weaknesses, but not for people making up stuff about other supposed failings.

When he came on at Coventry he brought the ball down well a number of times and failed to make a 5 yard lay off, much the same at Soton.
It doesnt matter how good you are in the air if you cant complete the job surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here