Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McCammon on the phone-in

KinkyNormanBaker said:
When he came on at Coventry he brought the ball down well a number of times and failed to make a 5 yard lay off, much the same at Soton.
It doesnt matter how good you are in the air if you cant complete the job surely?

We'll agree to disagree about his lay-off completion rate. I think he's done better this season but yes, he still misses as do all our players. Big Mac just gets more stick from the stands when he does it than if Jake, CKR or Harty misdirect a lay-off.

Your second point sums up the debate. He will never be a prolific (but he will score some goals and we know from the record of all our strikers how hard it is for us to score at this level, none of them have succeeded in recent times except Zamora and to some extent Virgo). Yet he will create enough of a nuisance against class defenders to create chances for others.

Now McGhee has looked at our finances, looked at the other players in the squad, knows he has to cut someone off the wage bill to bring in a new striker, and has made a judgment call that his lack of goals outweighs his ability to unsettle defenders and create for others.

That will be a fair call by McGhee if the players he brings in, Barnard or ?, end up being more effective than Big Mac.

In knowing something about Barnard, Kinky, you at least have a head start over the rest of us in knowing if this is the right call by McGhee.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I don't think Barnard has goals in him.

Has Perrin seen him play?

He appears to have scored one goal in all his loan spells unless soccerbase is lying to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here