Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo is starting in center mid

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Even if he scores four goals, sets up three, clears five Cheltenham shots off our line, and single-handedly wins the match for us, you'll find no humble pie being eaten by me. I'm sure he'll do ok tomorrow, because Cheltenham are rubbish and he will have a point to prove, but there's no way he's good enough in the long-term.

... and that is because you are a prize prick. We all know he's not the longterm solution, it's a stock gap solution to a load of injuries. So get your head out of your arse and try to use the grey matter that is alledgedly between your ears. You should be very proud, I can't remember the last time I was abusive to anyone on NSC. you Pompous little arse

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
SSN says we are hoping to have Joel Lynch back from injury tonight. If that is the case, would it be in the centre of the defence, or possibly at left back with Matt Richards going into midfield.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I could do a better job centre midfield than Mayo...

That's BLATENTLY not true is it Richie?

All this abuse makes me f***ing SICK.

How about getting behind the team for a change? If he does play tonight, would it not be better for a wave of encouragement to come down from the stands rather than this VITRIOL.

Those of you posting this SHIT should be ashamed of themselves.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
That's BLATENTLY not true is it Richie?

All this abuse makes me f***ing SICK.

How about getting behind the team for a change? If he does play tonight, would it not be better for a wave of encouragement to come down from the stands rather than this VITRIOL.

Those of you posting this SHIT should be ashamed of themselves.

Go Hinster!!!! :rave:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I actually refer Mayo in CM, he's fairly steady there. It's similar to the El-Abd scenario.

We have some decent CM they are just injured. I'm talking about Reid and Fraser by the way.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I actually think this might not be such a bad thing - Mayo is a midfielder actually capable of playing a forward pass. Also, a left food in the midfield should add a bit of balance to the team.

Hopefully.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
SSN says we are hoping to have Joel Lynch back from injury tonight. If that is the case, would it be in the centre of the defence, or possibly at left back with Matt Richards going into midfield.
I think SSN is probably wrong.

Anyway, moaning aside what is the alternative in midfield? We have three options, Mayo, Martot who has just come back from injury, and McFaul who has played one reserve game against Three Bridges as his only game in months...

Mayo is not that bad anyway, at leftback he is not quick enough to deal with a lot of pacy wingers, but he is not immobile so that is not a problem. There's also less emphasis on 'clearing' the ball so he shouldn't find touch as often. :lolol: And his last game in midfield that I recall he actually played well.

Martot might do ok there, he is a solid and hardworking player but he's not played that position before (not here anyway). Also there is Rents and Cox but either would mean a lightweight midfield.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Reid - Potentially Championship but needs to impose himself more. Otherwise RW
Fraser - At the moment inconsistent Lge 1. But at his age, in his position that's fair enough.
Loft - Not really good enough, Conference standard. However he has shown signs of development so may be worth having in the squad as CM or LW back up for the time being.
McFaul - Who knows?
El-Abd - Decent back up for CM. El-Abd would be a Championship defender if he could cut out the mistakes. However does a job in CM because his mistakes aren't so costly.
Mayo - Mayo is a conference defender at best. Non existent pace and positionally not great. However he is a decent back up for CM in this division. Is strong, can tackle and doesn't panic on the ball like he does in defence. Also his left foot adds a balance.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I think most people are over reacting. Mayo started as a midfielder and his lack of pace isn't so much of a problem.

Was it Saints away in the Championship he last started in center midfield and he did a good job if I remember and scored our goal.
He did indeed. Mayo is a midfielder who has been used as a fullback by successive managers. His attitude to the game is always spot on, even if he isn't necessarily the most naturally gifted player to wear the stripes.

He knows he's only playing there because of injuries/suspensions to others but he will still give it his all and probably put in a decent performance. Rather than going 'oh not, not Mayo' we should be giving our longest serving player a bit of support and respect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here