Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo is starting in center mid

Skidmarks

Feb 12, 2008
Woolworths
Is Phill Stant still a free agent?
I hear a creative mid-fielder is to be arrving shortley with the name of Peter Smith, the dreadlocks give that creative touch the club have been dying for not to mention his great technique and lack of vision.:afro:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The point I'm making is that noone else in this league would go anywhere near any of them. In at least some of those cases I mentioned, the players are only playing at this level because they're from Sussex, not because they're anywhere near good enough.

And you know that to be an indesputable fact?

Don't suppose you'd care to reveal your source to your delicious titbit?

Can I counter and say that Mayo has already turned down three higher (at the time) clubs, and that Martot has played at a higher level than this - for several years. And that the Albion youngsters were constantly under scrutiny from other clubs' scouts before we signed them on full pro forms?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If true, I hope he plays really well, scores a goal and makes all you anti-Kerry lot eat humble pie.

If Wilkins believes he's good enough, then he's good enough.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I think we need to get the blend right in midfield. If there is more aerial presence, players like Thomson will be able to move the ball around on the ground. At the moment we're struggling to win the ball which results in it being hoofed forward too often.

IMHO Fraser is still developing as a player, so it's unfair to make final judgments on him. Does anyone know how good McFaul is yet?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well, it's CLEARLY my OPINION. Nowhere have I attempted to pass it as fact, so let's ignore that bit.

I don't suppose you'd like to reveal your source that Mayo has turned down three other clubs? I am genuinely bewildered as to why any league club would have made him an offer (at least as a player), so can't really answer that either.

I wouldn't mind you answering the question I set though. If those players were all released tomorrow, what clubs would be desperate to sign them up? Do you think someone else in this league would look at Mayo as a good signing? Or Loft? Or Fraser? I don't need FACTS to back that up, I am giving you my BELIEF that none of them are good enough to play at our level, which is why we have been totally dominated in the midfield area by every team we've played since Boxing Day.

With regard to your OPINION, people with higher knowledge of players and the abilities various players may or may not have have put greater store in Kerry's abilities than you have. Therefore, I am indifferent to your bewilderment.

And how on earth would I know who would be interested in those other players now? I don't spend my time working out which clubs require which players. And, frankly, I don't care.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
IMHO Fraser is still developing as a player, so it's unfair to make final judgments on him. Does anyone know how good McFaul is yet?

I think Fraser will be pretty good in a couple of years time, hes just not quite there yet.

I've heard McFaul is woeful from a couple of different sources, though given I haven't seen him play yet ill reserve judgement.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've heard McFaul is woeful from a couple of different sources, though given I haven't seen him play yet ill reserve judgement.

I know it's not the crest of World football but surely a call up to the Irish Under 21 squad means the lad must have some semblance of talent?

But as you rightly say, until we have seen him in the stripes it's hard to make a considered judgement. :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Blimey, you are a picky one. I was asking a hypothetical question. I don't expect you to know the exact midfield requirements of, for example, Northampton Town, Doncaster Rovers, or Oldham Athletic! I was asking do you think those players are good enough to warrant a contract at another league one club. I don't think they are, but if you're not able to respond to an opinion with an opinion then this one's going nowhere!

Short answer - yes.

Especially knowing that some - a fair number - players were enquired after during the summer. I don't know what happened in January.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Fair enough. Now we've cleared that one up, I'll give my opinion as to where they would end up if we released them now, just in case anyone fancies a debate.

El Abd - as a midfielder, league two. as a defender, league one.
Loft - conference
Fraser - right now conference, but he could be good in the future.
Martot - another league one club, albeit a lowly one.
Mayo - conference.
McFaul - god knows, but the sounds aren't good.

My point is that if we're trying to get by with a load of players who aren't good enough for the league in such a vital position, is it any wonder we're struggling? I happen to think most other areas of our squad are very strong, but midfield is so important that the whole operation is being hampered by effectively playing with ten every week, and asking Thomson to run the show on his own. It's frustrating, because one quality signing and I'd think we'd witness very different performances.

Oh god, this is all so pointless and boring. Yes, we failed to sign another midfielder during the transfer window. I thought we knew that WHEN THE TRANSFER WINDOW CLOSED THREE WEEKS AGO. George O'Callaghan still doesn't want to sign, but guess what, he NEVER DID, despite your pointless ramblings on the subject. Yes, this injury crisis is a pain in the arse, as is all of the above, but we'll all survive and the club will muddle on through, thanks to the likes of Adam El Abd and Kerry Mayo, playing on out of position while the likes of you whinge and moan from the sidelines about George "I never wanted to sign for a league one club" O Callaghan.

PS - you forgot Reid in your player bitch. I reckon you'll go League 2.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Am I the only person on here that thinks that this is a good move. I believe that KM will do the same type of job as El Abd, who he is replacing and his lack of speed will not be so exposed as it is if he plays wide on the left, either in midfield or as a full back. We have the added advantage of his long throws which Murray may be able to get on the end of. I am expecting a win by 2 goals tomorrow evening.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
If true, I hope he plays really well, scores a goal and makes all you anti-Kerry lot eat humble pie.

If Wilkins believes he's good enough, then he's good enough.

Yep, and of course Wilkins always knows best.

:bowdown:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
If Mayo is in the starting line up tomorrow, I don't intend to go to the game. If he is the best we can do in midfield, whether temporary or otherwise, we're really in the poo..and big-time.

:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here