Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Keep Sunday Special ?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Close everything on Sunday

Nothing to do with religion. I just think society would be better off with a family day once a week

I always think of lockdown with this sort of thing. I was horrified by the idea at first. After a while, those enforced vast expanses of time were wonderful. One day a week, where you’ve got a bit of time to get bored would be great. Take the dog for a long walk, play a board game with the kids. If you’re really bored, have a conversation with the mrs

In reality of course, commerce grows, not shrinks. Economies must grow and all that

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Being able to visit Asda and B&Q is the antidote to boredom? :lolol:
Yes! B&Q especially.
Picking up on your last point, I was recently talking about my love and interest in music with someone who is equally passionate about books and films. She said at one point “art is brilliant, there’s so much out there, how can you ever be bored?” which I tend to agree with. Access to books, film and music has never been so easy; in this day and age, how would you get bored?
Well quite, and one of the ways we access it is by going out. Ideally by public transport, which is one area that has stayed a resolute supporter of the 'Keep Sunday Special' campaign

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I’m not advocating the closure of everything but I do like the idea of “major” shops being closed on Sunday. It works very successfully here and no one I know complains, quite the opposite in fact.
Germany … were washing your car on a Sunday can get you a fine …..

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Close everything on Sunday

Nothing to do with religion. I just think society would be better off with a family day once a week

I always think of lockdown with this sort of thing. I was horrified by the idea at first. After a while, those enforced vast expanses of time were wonderful. One day a week, where you’ve got a bit of time to get bored would be great. Take the dog for a long walk, play a board game with the kids. If you’re really bored, have a conversation with the mrs

In reality of course, commerce grows, not shrinks. Economies must grow and all that
The whole idea of every thing being closed on a Sunday is a hangover from when the great unwashed had to go to church to be brainwashed. The only other thing you could do was archery ….

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm all for Sundays having a decent amount of hours when I can't be sent to the Supermarket. Lol.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
France Is the answer

just relax.
Indeed its refreshing when you go over there. They have Sunday for leisure that's for sure. I'm biased though as I loath shopping

At the end of the day consumers have "X" to spend, they should be able to do in 6 days of the week, its actually more cost for shops to open 7 days.

But its 30 years since "Keep Sunday Special" and I think we're stuck with it.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Can we have the old ski Sunday back please, rather than the shouty twats that present it now. Awful.
Wasn’t World of Sport on a Saturday? It was before my time. I do remember when I was very young though that we briefly had WCW on ITV, they used to show British Bulldog matches I think

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Really? I last went in June . . . . Rode 150 miles in a day and nothing was open except a few bar/cafe's all the petrol stations were auto CC . . . .

Are you sure you weren't in Port-E-'Slade' that's a bit continental these days?

FWLIW I'm anti religion, honestly believe it's the root of all evil . . . .but everyone deserves a rest, so Shut up on a Sunday . . . . And those who work weekends don't on Monday/Tue . . . Like barbers, restaurants bars etc Do here already anyway . . .
Port-E-Slade "a bit continental" ?? :lolol:

Yes, absolutely sure about the supermarkets. I've spent over 20 weeks in France this year and certainly in Normandy, Brittany and Loire there have been supermarkets open on a Sunday wherever I've been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here