Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Keep Sunday Special ?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
The majority of the workforce, really? REALLY?

Pen pushers, school teachers, the really tiny tiny amount of the workforce in the city. Loads barely leave their bedrooms these days it appears

The rest

Medical
Shops
Delivery
Restaurants
Pubs
Police
Fire Service
Refuge Collectors
Street Cleaners
Farmers
Milkman
Bus drivers
Railway Workers
Coach drivers
Sports people
People working at sports venues
Cinemas
Care home workers
Zoos!
Pilots
Engineers
Hostesses
Ferry staff
Tanker drivers
Army
Airforce
Navy

etc etc etc etc etc etc
I really don’t know but perhaps it’s this never getting a real resting period that’s helping contribute to fuel so many unfortunate mental health issues?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
What's your point ?
Nothing more than pointing out that religion is at the route of having Sunday off. Church and archery being the only legitimate things you could on a Sunday. It was compulsory to attend both morning and evening services.
For those that know Cuckfield, the cottages within the churchyard were actually pubs where the congregation could ‘rest’ between the services …. Clearly nothing like a ‘dinner time sesh’ before a church service.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Close everything on Sunday

Nothing to do with religion. I just think society would be better off with a family day once a week

I always think of lockdown with this sort of thing. I was horrified by the idea at first. After a while, those enforced vast expanses of time were wonderful. One day a week, where you’ve got a bit of time to get bored would be great. Take the dog for a long walk, play a board game with the kids. If you’re really bored, have a conversation with the mrs

In reality of course, commerce grows, not shrinks. Economies must grow and all that
When I graduated many moons ago, I took a job in Gloucester and as I needed the money I started work pretty much straight away. I rented a room in a house, having done the sharing thing before, but this one didn't really work out (born again Christian landlady who I had zero in common with). I knew no one and it was a couple of months before the rest of that years graduates joined and formed a social group.

My special Sundays were get to the pub at 12:00 and drink enough in the next two hours to sleep until the pubs opened again at 19:00. I had no car and there was literally bugger all else to do in my special family time.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My special Sundays were get to the pub at 12:00 and drink enough in the next two hours to sleep until the pubs opened again at 19:00. I had no car and there was literally bugger all else to do in my special family time.
But like in lockdown, is that boredom necessarily a bad thing? A bit of time every week, away from the grind of work and commerce?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is a perfect advert for what I have been suggesting. Who wants to be dragged around a garden center or B&Q when you could be doing this?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But like in lockdown, is that boredom necessarily a bad thing? A bit of time every week, away from the grind of work and commerce?
Maybe for some, but there's nothing stopping people from just idling away their Sundays if that's what they want to do - just don't try and force it on the rest of us.

If anything I'd say there isn't enough activity on Sundays. The big supermarkets shut early (4:00pm), and as I mentioned earlier public transport really needs to wake up to the fact that this isn't the 1950s anymore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe for some, but there's nothing stopping people from just idling away their Sundays if that's what they want to do - just don't try and force it on the rest of us.

If anything I'd say there isn't enough activity on Sundays. The big supermarkets shut early (4:00pm), and as I mentioned earlier public transport really needs to wake up to the fact that this isn't the 1950s anymore.
I'd rather people did idle away their Sundays instead of having a stressful life where the only opportunity to squeeze in a trip to IKEA is Sunday.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We stayed on Lewis this summer and it was interesting to see everything shut on a Sunday … the church car parks however were packed…

They take it seriously, religion that is.

I actually found it rather nice, we managed to survive the day and Monday came about… life resumed its normal pace…
Isle of Lewis is where my paternal ancestors came from and Sunday restrictions have been relaxed, somewhat, since the days when even the swings in the children’s’ playgrounds were chained up and no ferries ran etc.!
On a general note, I can’t believe how many want to restrict what goes on during Sundays. I reckon those who do, may well be too young to remember how flippin’ boring Sundays could be.
As one of those unfortunates who were locked away at boarding school back in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s I can remember having to attend chapel twice a day on Sunday, which amounted to about 3 hours or more, depending on the length of the boring sermon in the evening service.
What a load of shite all that was!

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Back in the 1970s I worked in a wine merchants shop (off licence to you!). On Christmas Eve we closed at 6.00pm so we could all have a few festive slurps backstage, so to speak. At 6.05 pm, sure enough, there was the knocking at the shop door. Some dozy bloke asked if he could buy some Christmas booze. We’re shut, said our manager. Oh please, said the man plaintively. Listen mate, said our governor, you’ve had all year to get stocked up, the notice on the door tells you our Christmas opening hours which includes our late closing times for this time of year, you have chosen to ignore all that information.

With the most polite rebuff the prospective customer was told no, f*** off and have a very Merry Christmas! :drink:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You’re splitting this list out to make it look longer than it is. You could have posted
The Emergency Services
The Armed Forces
Hospitality
Health
Public Transport which covers the majority of occupations.

This isn’t anywhere near as dramatic as your original post. I agree these are essential but who really wants to go to the garden center on a Sunday

You’re splitting this list out to make it look longer than it is. You could have posted
The Emergency Services
The Armed Forces
Hospitality
Health
Public Transport which covers the majority of occupations.

This isn’t anywhere near as dramatic as your original post. I agree these are essential but who really wants to go to the garden center on a Sunday?
Me - but only once I've found my garden vouchers.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Back in the 1970s I worked in a wine merchants shop (off licence to you!). On Christmas Eve we closed at 6.00pm so we could all have a few festive slurps backstage, so to speak. At 6.05 pm, sure enough, there was the knocking at the shop door. Some dozy bloke asked if he could buy some Christmas booze. We’re shut, said our manager. Oh please, said the man plaintively. Listen mate, said our governor, you’ve had all year to get stocked up, the notice on the door tells you our Christmas opening hours which includes our late closing times for this time of year, you have chosen to ignore all that information.

With the most polite rebuff the prospective customer was told no, f*** off and have a very Merry Christmas!
Bah humbug to you too.
No Season of Goodwill at your premises, obviously!😳

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My favourite Sunday mornings when I was older were spent going round Brick Lane market after all night parties, sunglasses on, getting bagels and expresso with a bunch of mates, all of us still drunk from the night before and looking a little wasted!
So your favourite days. Getting bagels and coffee. Where from? People working I suspect.

I give up

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes let's go back to the 70s and earlier, when virtually everything was closed on a Sunday, with nest to no sport being played.
Sounds quite pleasant to be fair. Both domestic cups were respected, the champions league was far more efficient and contested by real champions.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes let's go back to the 70s and earlier, when virtually everything was closed on a Sunday, with nest to no sport being played.
The national anthem being played when TV broadcasts stopped for the night.
Sunday roast every Sunday, at 1pm on the dot without fail.
Force children to go to Sunday school, then after lunch being taken to see relatives.
Songs of Praise and other religious programmes on TV.

Why turn the clock back 50 years, people are free to decide for themselves, and I assume that for Sunday workers, the exception on religious beliefs stills applies.
JPS 40 over competition

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
So your favourite days. Getting bagels and coffee. Where from? People working I suspect.

I give up
I am really glad to hear that because I have found our exchanges with on this thread rather unpleasant and you for some obscure reason have responded to every one of my posts with a rather rude and angry attitude.

I have said I don’t have a problem with Sunday shop trading just IMHO people should get a choice whether they want to spend their Sunday working overtime hours standing behind a till than with their kids. Loads of single people and students who can pick up any slack.

(And no, the bagels and coffee were not from a shop, a bunch of us would go to a mates’ houses - most of us had bagels in the house and real coffee - we weren’t complete plebs, we did know how to enjoy our Sundays, even in a Capital City!). punk:

Last edited:

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This is a perfect advert for what I have been suggesting. Who wants to be dragged around a garden center or B&Q when you could be doing this?
Clearly many folk would rather be queuing up in B&Q to buy light bulbs and a washer for a tap than having a leisurely Tubthumper extended lunch with choice wine, decent background music and good conversation.

There’s nowt as queer as folk :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here