Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Keep Sunday Special ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I am really glad to hear that because I have found our exchanges with on this thread rather unpleasant and you for some obscure reason have responded to every one of my posts with a rather rude and angry attitude.

(And no, the bagels and coffee were not from a shop, a bunch of us would go to a mates’ houses - most of us had bagels in the house and real coffee - we weren’t complete plebs but we did know how to enjoy our Sundays, even in a Capital City). punk:
Stop clutching your pearls dear and no I don't need a thesis on the reason.

You mentioned Brick Lane market!! Who was there? People with stalls working?

I find your myopic view on those that make your life easier unpleasant. You're roughly the same age as me and the only difference in reality is shops are open, all other jobs have remained.

Mines didn't shut, foundries didn't, bakeries didn't you can carry on. Easy examples that can't be disputed. You have stated previously the majority of people did and those that have to work are lower paid. That just isn't the case.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This is a perfect advert for what I have been suggesting. Who wants to be dragged around a garden center or B&Q when you could be doing this?
But it's normally filled with old gits who could go during the week.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
So this is the Isle of Lewis so we aren’t talking about the Church of Scotland (probably one of the most liberal Christian denominations) we are instead talking about the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland (the Wee Free) which is very extreme on a number of items including protecting the Sabbath. Nothing happens on Sunday in Lewis - they tried to stop the ferry and flights arriving on Sunday to Lewis about 35year ago. i remember a story back in 80s when the Prosecutor Fiscal (Scottish attorney general) who was a Wee Free went to a Catholic colleagues funeral and got the equivalent of excommunicated from the wee free. The best example of a wee free is an Irishman the late Ian Paisley - most of the DUP are Free Presbetariyans

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Stop clutching your pearls dear and no I don't need a thesis on the reason.

You mentioned Brick Lane market!! Who was there? People with stalls working?

I find your myopic view on those that make your life easier unpleasant. You're roughly the same age as me and the only difference in reality is shops are open, all other jobs have remained.

Mines didn't shut, foundries didn't, bakeries didn't you can carry on. Easy examples that can't be disputed. You have stated previously the majority of people did and those that have to work are lower paid. That just isn't the case.
You really need to chill mate. I have absolutely no idea why my POV should elicit such an angry response from you.
You are missing the point of what I have been saying (again!). I said I felt it right that shop workers should get a choice in their contracts that allows them not to work Sundays because shops are not frontline services.

I am not against Sunday Trading (personally though I like to relax on a Sunday, I like the quiet).

In fact, just a quick google shows they do actually have special rights exactly along the lines I was saying they should …

Special rights for shop workers and betting industry

If you work in a shop or in the betting industry (either at a betting shop open to the public or a bookmaker at a sports venue) you have special rights.

You can opt out of having to work on Sunday even if your contract says you have to. Your employer has to tell you about this right within two months of hiring you.

These rights don't apply if you're employed to work on Sundays only.”

Not all workers get extra time and a half (I used to in the NHS and Social care environment) but …

“Getting paid more for working on Sundays

It's a matter for you and your employer as to whether you're paid more for working on a Sunday. There are no statutory rights in this area, so it depends on your contract.

Many businesses choose to reward employees who work outside normal working hours. Some pay time-and-a-half or double time, while others give extra time off.”

Ps sellers in Brick lane market were there by choice as they were nearly all one-man bands selling their own secondhand stuff in a cash economy. They didn’t have an employer waving a contract over their head, they arrived in their vans, unloaded stuff onto tables or the ground and passers by would make them an offer. Picked up some good bargains too 😎

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You really need to chill mate. I have absolutely no idea why my POV should elicit such an angry response from you.

You are missing the point of what I have been saying (again!). I said I felt it right that shop workers should get a choice in their contracts that allows them not to work Sundays because shops are not frontline services.

I am not against Sunday Trading (personally though I like to relax on a Sunday, I like the quiet).

In fact, just a quick google shows they do actually have special rights exactly along the lines I was saying they should …

Special rights for shop workers and betting industry

If you work in a shop or in the betting industry (either at a betting shop open to the public or a bookmaker at a sports venue) you have special rights.

You can opt out of having to work on Sunday even if your contract says you have to. Your employer has to tell you about this right within two months of hiring you.

These rights don't apply if you're employed to work on Sundays only.”

Argument over.

Not all workers get extra time and a half (I used to in the NHS and Social care environment) but …

“Getting paid more for working on Sundays​

It's a matter for you and your employer as to whether you're paid more for working on a Sunday. There are no statutory rights in this area, so it depends on your contract.

Many businesses choose to reward employees who work outside normal working hours. Some pay time-and-a-half or double time, while others give extra time off.”

Ps sellers in Brick lane market were there by choice as they were nearly all one-man bands selling their own secondhand stuff in a cash economy. They didn’t have an employer waving a contract over their head, they arrived in their vans, unloaded stuff onto tables or the ground and passers by would make them an offer. Picked up some good bargains too 😎
I'm neither angry nor a mate. I'm a long time poster nothing else.

Stating shop workers have special rights is actually going against your argument in previous posts. Good so they have protection and therefore aren't subjected to your low paid argument. You've answered your very own points. :ROFLMAO:

However as I have said so many times it's not shop workers but a huge amount of others have always had to work Sundays that's why pretending it's a day of rest for families etc is plain tripe. Shop workers are a tiny proportion of the workforce.

What is interesting and of particular worry is the traditional high street is on its arse. Full of coffee shops and charity shops. Within a few years they'll be gone. Gone will be the days of a Sunday when the town centre was full of bored people window shopping..

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
What is interesting and of particular worry is the traditional high street is on its arse. Full of coffee shops and charity shops. Within a few years they'll be gone. Gone will be the days of a Sunday when the town centre was full of bored people window shopping..

Because they have been replaced over the last 30 years with out of town food superstores and large shopping precincts. Death knell for the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker. More recently online shopping and an enormous growth in the courier trade. 70% of the shops in the high street in my nearest town have gone and are just boarded up premises.

The financial institutions are disappearing from the high street at warp speed now because of the advent of online banking. Soon, small towns will have no banks, no Post Offices and no chain stores.

Personally, I am ok with coffee shops but what is replacing the decent shops in the high street are places like Poundland and Card Factory.

Aaaaaargh!

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
What with shift workers , single parents , self employed , those who start work early or late or can only get to the shops at certain times it`s handy to have options . You might not need a pint of milk at 3 in the morning or want a flashlight with the power of a million candles , but it`s nice to know you can if you want .

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Let me guess. Unmarried?
No, and that's quite a weird leap. I'm married with two children, one grandchild, one elderly mother and one elderly father-in-law who all need looking after to greater or lesser degrees - even the grown-up kids . Plus I'm still working full time. I do not want a day of enforced contemplative, even selfish idleness, and to try and cram everything into say a Saturday.

I don't understand why that's so hard to understand, and like I say no one's forcing you, or the other members/supporters of the Lord's Day Observance Society, to do the same. If you wish to spend Sundays just lying about reading or whatever then fine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. These don’t operate in Germany on Sundays. I’m not aware of wide spread famine every Sunday; it works.

As it happens, it’s a nationwide public holiday today and everything is shut. If I don’t post tomorrow because I have starved to death you can have the last laugh; my funeral wishes are in the “Music at your wake” thread. It will be a weekday, I wouldn’t want to deprive @Lenny Rider of a Sunday at home….I hope you can make it. :lolol:
Good morning everyone! @PILTDOWN MAN I still here, I made it!

I have not died of starvation and I have not died of boredom. I am, quite literally, living proof you can survive a day with the shops being closed.

To be honest, it was a rather uneventful and chilled day. Minimal forward planning meant I didn’t have to go out and forage or hunt. I already have all the manbags I need and nothing was required from the garden centre. That said, whilst drinking my morning coffee (Nicaraguan medium roast with chocolate and apricot notes purchased on a Tuesday) and listening to the new Nubya Garcia album on Spotify, I did feel the urge to go out and buy the vinyl. Remembering the shops were shut I put my mind to this and have planned to go tomorrow.

I will also meet Klaus the Krankenwagen driver over the weekend; I’ll soon be able to offer survival tips for those who work irregular hours.

Happy Fridat everyone, it’s another day in paradise.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Tesco has been trading on Sunday in Faversham for at least 10 years. I presume everything shuts up your way because there is no demand.

I presume R2 is discussing allowing longer opening hours (I think most large scale 'trading' has to stop at 4.00 pm on Sunday, albeit smaller convenience stores stay open later).
It depends on the size of the shop, and the big ones can only open 6 hours on a Sunday. For most that’s 10 until 4, but for some it will be 11 until 5, like IKEA I think.

one of our local COOP recently halved in size, the other half now empty, and went from 10 until 4 to longer hours on a Sunday.

speaking as a Churchgoer, if we pop in to Waitrose round the corner from Church on a Sunday Morning, there’ll be plenty of other people doing the same thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here