Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Keep Sunday Special ?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Let’s be thankful we’ve still got some shops, a walk through Worthing Town Centre is like visiting Barnsley during Thatchers Britain, unless you want a cup of coffee or your hair cut by a Turkish bloke. 🙈

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It’s strange that you’re so angry about this. As someone who’s a 9-5 pen pusher, who works in an office, I’d go as far as to say that the country basically doesn’t work for us anymore as so many industries don’t function properly at either weekends or in the evenings ie medical, dentistry, tradesmen of any kind etc.
Why does your company only work Monday to Friday?

Your point appears to question why others aren’t working for your benefit.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
They are if they need to open to survive just like pubs restaurants cinemas zoos theme parks.
if you rent a shop premises and shut you then to make up your lost trade over 6 days. 5 of which apparently everyone is working.
In the aulden days people lived above/behind the shops. When I ran my business I worked similarly. It adds up. If you need to work 24/7 the business models wrong.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Italy is still quite closed on a Sunday, we visited for the England game in San Marino a few years back and it was a bit odd in the afternoons a lot of even restaurants & bars were shut

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hardly aggressive just living in the real world. I trust you've never run a business in the service sector.

Pay is normally the same at the weekend as the week day.

You must include as frontline all transport then as how would anyone ever get to the sport/entertainment laid on for the weekend.

As I have posted, to many businesses Sunday trading is essential for the profitability of the business. Most are struggling to make ends meet.

Weekend working provides many, such as students, the chance to earn.
Say pen pushers again. Coz that ain't aggressive. Might want to change your password as I think GB News have hacked your account.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The majority of the workforce, really? REALLY?

Pen pushers, school teachers, the really tiny tiny amount of the workforce in the city. Loads barely leave their bedrooms these days it appears

The rest

Medical
Shops
Delivery
Restaurants
Pubs
Police
Fire Service
Refuge Collectors
Street Cleaners
Farmers
Milkman
Bus drivers
Railway Workers
Coach drivers
Sports people
People working at sports venues
Cinemas
Care home workers
Zoos!
Pilots
Engineers
Hostesses
Ferry staff
Tanker drivers
Army
Airforce
Navy

etc etc etc etc etc etc
You’re splitting this list out to make it look longer than it is. You could have posted
The Emergency Services
The Armed Forces
Hospitality
Health
Public Transport which covers the majority of occupations.

This isn’t anywhere near as dramatic as your original post. I agree these are essential but who really wants to go to the garden center on a Sunday?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You’re splitting this list out to make it look longer than it is. You could have posted
The Emergency Services
The Armed Forces
Hospitality
Health

This isn’t anywhere near as dramatic as your original post. I agree these are essential but who really wants to go to the garden center on a Sunday?
When I worked at Paradise Park, it was the second busiest day behind Saturday actually

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
In the aulden days people lived above/behind the shops. When I ran my business I worked similarly. It adds up. If you need to work 24/7 the business models wrong.
Pubs are shutting and have been for decades. The model may be wrong to some but it would be brainless to shut on one of your busiest days.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
The Emergency Services
The Armed Forces
Hospitality
Health

Wasn't part of the problem with railway drivers, Sunday working is voluntary and the government and rail companies wanted it to be included in normal shift patterns.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The Emergency Services
The Armed Forces
Hospitality
Health

People who can't get to it any other day.

If we want to look back in time to the good old days. Shop keepers had a day off during the week. Horsham for instance was a Thursday, hence why up to today there's a Thursday Cricket team at Horsham CC. This was for working a Saturday. Back then a lot of people worked Saturday Mornings as part of their job in a lot of industries.

My real point in the posts I've made is that shops being open only accounts for a small amount of people who work weekends, yet some believe it should be a "special" day for ALL.

It never has and never can be, that's the point.

Back in the wonderful 60's and 70's people still worked Sundays. The shelves needed stacking in shops. The post needed sorting and distributing. The papers needed printing and delivering. And on and on.

Lets face even vicars had to work, talking to their boss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They are if they need to open to survive just like pubs restaurants cinemas zoos theme parks.
if you rent a shop premises and shut you then to make up your lost trade over 6 days. 5 of which apparently everyone is working.
I’m not advocating the closure of everything but I do like the idea of “major” shops being closed on Sunday. It works very successfully here and no one I know complains, quite the opposite in fact.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m not advocating the closure of everything but I do like the idea of “major” shops being closed on Sunday. It works very successfully here and no one I know complains, quite the opposite in fact.
Would you stop food deliveries as well from the big supermarkets?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would you stop food deliveries as well from the big supermarkets?
Yes. These don’t operate in Germany on Sundays. I’m not aware of wide spread famine every Sunday; it works.

As it happens, it’s a nationwide public holiday today and everything is shut. If I don’t post tomorrow because I have starved to death you can have the last laugh; my funeral wishes are in the “Music at your wake” thread. It will be a weekday, I wouldn’t want to deprive @Lenny Rider of a Sunday at home….I hope you can make it. :lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes. These don’t operate in Germany on Sundays. I’m not aware of wide spread famine every Sunday; it works.

As it happens, it’s a nationwide public holiday today and everything is shut. If I don’t post tomorrow because I have starved to death you can have the last laugh; my funeral wishes are in the “Music at your wake” thread. It will be a weekday, I wouldn’t want to deprive @Lenny Rider of a Sunday at home….I hope you can make it. :lolol:
Count me in. I may even drink a weird brew in your memory

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
… who really wants to go to the garden center on a Sunday?

Especially in a small town/village where Sunday ‘day of rest‘ tend to be observed more than in cities/large towns:

I went to my local garden centre one Sunday lunchtime when I first moved to my current location, after a some voluntary work I was doing for a local charity event. A colleague dropped me off on his way home.

After buying a load of plants, I walked across the road and waited for a bus - and waited - and waited. I then asked someone when it was due. There were no buses running.

Because it was Sunday.

I went back to the garden centre to phone a taxi.

No taxis woking in the afternoon.

Because it was Sunday.

The Garden centre then closed at 2pm.

Because it was Sunday.

I walked home (several miles along a main country road ) in the August heat carrying 4 large, heavy plants.

Now I never go to the garden centre on a Sunday :lol:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There were no buses running.

Because it was Sunday.

I went back to the garden centre to phone a taxi.

No taxis woking in the afternoon.

Because it was Sunday.

The Garden then centre closed early.

Because it was Sunday.

I walked home (several miles along a main country road ) in the August heat carrying 4 large, heavy plants.

Now I never go to the garden centre on a Sunday :lol:
Has Atilla hacked your account? :smile:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
R2 today on the site in JV show but Tesco (who want to trade on Sunday) v Isle of Lewis, we are able to do/get everything done during the week and rather like the do nothing Sunday approach. Yet we are old school as in Boxing Day unless Oxford St, Stratford etc trading and even that's questionable IMHO so how do others NSC user's feel is it 24/7-365 or step back ?
Sunday special is, not so more near times. Shopis opened.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Sunday has been special in our family for years.
Being self employed, I have usually had to work 6 days a week, with early starts and late finishes at times.
I refuse to work on Sunday, when they were small, we used to have a day out with the kids every Sunday.
Now they are older and doing their own thing, I reserve Sundays for taking wifey out, I still work 6 days a week.
She works out what she wants to do and where she wants to go and that is what we do.
It's her day and her choice and she usually chooses well.
The 9th Sept was our 32nd wedding anniversary and still happy.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If I understand the question correctly (and I am not sure I do) then I think we must have gone back in time.

Are they discussing half-day closing on Wednesdays next?

Skirts showing ankles?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here