Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[NSC] Keep Sunday Special ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
f***ing hell . . . . Take a day off. Chill!

You missed the edit šŸ˜‰
Some services are essential, supermarkets and shops are not.
They are if they need to open to survive just like pubs restaurants cinemas zoos theme parks.
if you rent a shop premises and shut you then to make up your lost trade over 6 days. 5 of which apparently everyone is working.

Zeberdi

ā€œVorsprung durch Technikā€
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The majority of the workforce, really? REALLY?

Pen pushers, school teachers, the really tiny tiny amount of the workforce in the city. Loads barely leave their bedrooms these days it appears

The rest

Medical
Shops
Delivery
Restaurants
Pubs
Police
Fire Service
Refuge Collectors
Street Cleaners
Farmers
Milkman
Bus drivers
Railway Workers
Coach drivers
Sports people
People working at sports venues
Cinemas
Care home workers
Zoos!
Pilots
Engineers
Hostesses
Ferry staff
Tanker drivers
Army
Airforce
Navy

etc etc etc etc etc etc
Why the agressive response?

I excluded frontline workers from my initial post (most of what you have listed) because these are essential services that when you join, you sign up to shift work - everyone understands the importance of 24hr frontline services. The others are largely sports and entertainment industry related which of course is more active at weekends because Sundays is when many people relax with friends or family participating in sports/entertainment if they are working during the week.

Working weekend in most jobs pays a higher rate than weekday too - recognising that the weekend is NOT a normal working day.

The initial thread discussion concerns Sunday trading as did my post.

For the sake of convenience, so you and I can do our weekly shop or wander around the DIY store, somebody has to give up their Sunday to serve us. Not wanting to make this about class or income but you can bet the shopworker giving up their Sunday is doing it on a low income and probably has limited other choices in the job market so is basically stuck with it..

I donā€™t have an issue with weekend Sunday trading, I just think people should be given the choice to work - itā€™s not a biggie.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Why the agressive response?

I excluded frontline workers from my initial post (most of what you have listed) because these are essential services that when you join, you sign up to shift work - everyone understands the importance of 24hr frontline services. The others are largely sports and entertainment industry related which of course is more active at weekends because Sundays is when many people relax with friends or family participating in sports/entertainment if they are working during the week.

Working weekend in most jobs pays a higher rate than weekday too - recognising that the weekend is NOT a normal working day.

The initial thread discussion concerns Sunday trading as did my post.

For the sake of convenience, so you and I can do our weekly shop or wander around the DIY store, somebody has to give up their Sunday to serve us. Not wanting to make this about class or income but you can bet the shopworker giving up their Sunday is doing it on a low income and probably has limited other choices in the job market so is basically stuck with it..

I donā€™t have an issue with weekend Sunday trading, I just think people should be given the choice to work - itā€™s not a biggie.
Hardly aggressive just living in the real world. I trust you've never run a business in the service sector.

Pay is normally the same at the weekend as the week day.

You must include as frontline all transport then as how would anyone ever get to the sport/entertainment laid on for the weekend.

As I have posted, to many businesses Sunday trading is essential for the profitability of the business. Most are struggling to make ends meet.

Weekend working provides many, such as students, the chance to earn.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Yes let's go back to the 70s and earlier, when virtually everything was closed on a Sunday, with nest to no sport being played.
The national anthem being played when TV broadcasts stopped for the night.
Sunday roast every Sunday, at 1pm on the dot without fail.
Force children to go to Sunday school, then after lunch being taken to see relatives.
Songs of Praise and other religious programmes on TV.

Why turn the clock back 50 years, people are free to decide for themselves, and I assume that for Sunday workers, the exception on religious beliefs stills applies.
May I present the alternative version :

Newsagent was usually open till 12 to get Sunday papers for your folks and a quarter of sweets from one of the big jars and a comic.

Sunday morning kids football - wasn't forced to go to church!

No supermarkets open - you simply planned your shopping needs

Visit grandparents/friends or they came to you. Alternatively a trip to the pub where you'd sit in the corner with a bottle of coke and a bag of crisps and you bloody loved it!

When your grandparents left one of them would give you that Freemason like handshake that contained some money

That aroma of a classic Sunday Roast filling the house. We ate at about 5. Sherry Trifle, Artic Roll, Angel Delight, Birds Eye Supermouse, Mandarin Orange in jelly flan, Spotted Dick and custard.

The Big Match with Brian Moore

Sunday Night Radio 1 chart show - poised with your piano key like tape recorder trying to record your fave songs without the DJ chat

A host of great tv like Catweazle, Worzel Gummidge, Randall & Hopkirk, The Persuaders, Ski Sunday, The World About Us, That's Life, Holiday.

Ultimately, I really loved the serenity of a typical 70's Sunday.

Zeberdi

ā€œVorsprung durch Technikā€
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Hardly aggressive just living in the real world. I trust you've never run a business in the service sector.
And you think I donā€™t? - again, passive aggressive response. That has nothing to do with it.

I trust you have never been in a job then suddenly told to you have to work 2 Sundays out of 4. I base my pov on my personal experience- I am not asking you to agree with me.
No - when I was working in the care industry, no it was not, based on personal experience.
You must include as frontline all transport then as how would anyone ever get to the sport/entertainment laid on for the weekend.
Exactly, transport are classed as frontline services.
As I have posted, to many businesses Sunday trading is essential for the profitability of the business. Most are struggling to make ends meet.

And as I said, I do not have a problem with Sunday trading - I just think FT workers should be given the choice.

So letā€™s just leave it there.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And you think I donā€™t? - again, passive aggressive response. That has nothing to do with it.

I trust you have never been in a job then suddenly told to you have to work 2 Sundays out of 4. I base my pov on my personal experience- I am not asking you to agree with me.

No - when I was working in the care industry, no it was not, based on personal experience.

Exactly, transport are classed as frontline services.

And as I said, I do not have a problem with Sunday trading - I just think FT workers should be given the choice.

So letā€™s just leave it there.
I certainly have had to work weekends at short notice and often.

I leave it when I want thanks

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most stuff are open here on Sundays. Due to our good relations with Satan, I believe.
Satan doesnā€™t give you days off, the Big G does. Iā€™m not religious but Iā€™m happy to go with God.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By the same token, I presume youā€™ve never been a student? Students are free every day during the week. Well, after they have woken up at around 3pm that is.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes let's go back to the 70s and earlier, when virtually everything was closed on a Sunday, with nest to no sport being played.
The national anthem being played when TV broadcasts stopped for the night.
Sunday roast every Sunday, at 1pm on the dot without fail.
Force children to go to Sunday school, then after lunch being taken to see relatives.
Songs of Praise and other religious programmes on TV.

Why turn the clock back 50 years, people are free to decide for themselves, and I assume that for Sunday workers, the exception on religious beliefs stills applies.
I'm with you. I can't believe the number of people who think we should go back to the 'Good Old Days'. Sundays weren't 'chilled' they were unbeliveably and unremittingly boring.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm with you. I can't believe the number of people who think we should go back to the 'Good Old Days'. Sundays weren't 'chilled' they were unbeliveably and unremittingly boring.
Being able to visit Asda and B&Q is the antidote to boredom? :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Picking up on your last point, I was recently talking about my love and interest in music with someone who is equally passionate about books and films. She said at one point ā€œart is brilliant, thereā€™s so much out there, how can you ever be bored?ā€ which I tend to agree with. Access to books, film and music has never been so easy; in this day and age, how would you get bored?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sunday Night Radio 1 chart show - poised with your piano key like tape recorder trying to record your fave songs without the DJ chat
Press play and the red record key!

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If people want to keep Sundays special, then do whatever it is you want for it to be special :shrug: just because something is open it doesnā€™t mean I must visit it. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything to stop it being special are they?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Satan doesnā€™t give you days off, the Big G does. Iā€™m not religious but Iā€™m happy to go with God.
Satan allows you to do whatever you want dawg, thats his whole thing!
If people want to keep Sundays special, then do whatever it is you want for it to be special :shrug: just because something is open it doesnā€™t mean I must visit it. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything to stop it being special are they?
No. f*** you. If Tesco on S Farm Road, Worthing opens on Sundays, all is lost.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
May I present the alternative version :

Newsagent was usually open till 12 to get Sunday papers for your folks and a quarter of sweets from one of the big jars and a comic.

Sunday morning kids football - wasn't forced to go to church!

No supermarkets open - you simply planned your shopping needs

Visit grandparents/friends or they came to you. Alternatively a trip to the pub where you'd sit in the corner with a bottle of coke and a bag of crisps and you bloody loved it!

When your grandparents left one of them would give you that Freemason like handshake that contained some money

That aroma of a classic Sunday Roast filling the house. We ate at about 5. Sherry Trifle, Artic Roll, Angel Delight, Birds Eye Supermouse, Mandarin Orange in jelly flan, Spotted Dick and custard.

The Big Match with Brian Moore

A host of great tv like Catweazle, Worzel Gummidge, Randall & Hopkirk, The Persuaders, Ski Sunday, The World About Us, That's Life, Holiday.

Ultimately, I really loved the serenity of a typical 70's Sunday.
Jumpers for goalposts? Marvelous.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Itā€™s strange that youā€™re so angry about this. As someone whoā€™s a 9-5 pen pusher, who works in an office, Iā€™d go as far as to say that the country basically doesnā€™t work for us anymore as so many industries donā€™t function properly at either weekends or in the evenings ie medical, dentistry, tradesmen of any kind etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here