Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Keep Sunday Special ?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
As a person who worked retail, Sundays used to piss me off. I could easily work more hours, and not have to deal with both the open AND the close.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yes let's go back to the 70s and earlier, when virtually everything was closed on a Sunday, with nest to no sport being played.
The national anthem being played when TV broadcasts stopped for the night.
Sunday roast every Sunday, at 1pm on the dot without fail.
Force children to go to Sunday school, then after lunch being taken to see relatives.
Songs of Praise and other religious programmes on TV.

Why turn the clock back 50 years, people are free to decide for themselves, and I assume that for Sunday workers, the exception on religious beliefs stills applies.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just an alternative perspective here

I used to be employed with a company in the care industry some years ago which changed owners. Despite my initial contract with the old company not requiring someone with my job description to work weekends, when the new company took over. we were all made to sign new contracts forcing us to work weekends including me.

At the time, I had longstanding social commitments and a couple of hours at voluntary job on a Sunday which I had to give up. Sunday was also the only day I was able to get to see members of my family as everyone worked through the week and Saturdays for various family members were always busy with kids stuff, gardening, errands, housework etc. I missed out on family Sunday lunches and couldn’t go away the weekend with my friends or partner at the time.

I have no problem with Sunday shopping hours but I think by law, workers should be given a choice whether they want to work or not.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Most the main supermarkets in France are open Sunday - albiet with shortened trading hours.
Really? I last went in June . . . . Rode 150 miles in a day and nothing was open except a few bar/cafe's all the petrol stations were auto CC . . . .

Are you sure you weren't in Port-E-'Slade' that's a bit continental these days?

FWLIW I'm anti religion, honestly believe it's the root of all evil . . . .but everyone deserves a rest, so Shut up on a Sunday . . . . And those who work weekends don't on Monday/Tue . . . Like barbers, restaurants bars etc Do here already anyway . . .

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
R2 today on the site in JV show but Tesco (who want to trade on Sunday) v Isle of Lewis, we are able to do/get everything done during the week and rather like the do nothing Sunday approach. Yet we are old school as in Boxing Day unless Oxford St, Stratford etc trading and even that's questionable IMHO so how do others NSC user's feel is it 24/7-365 or step back ?
Is that meant to be English?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just an alternative perspective here

I used to be employed with a company in the care industry some years ago which changed owners. Despite my initial contract with the old company not requiring someone with my job description to work weekends, when the new company took over. we were all made to sign new contracts forcing us to work weekends including me.

At the time, I had longstanding social commitments and a couple of hours at voluntary job on a Sunday which I had to give up. Sunday was also the only day I was able to get to see members of my family as everyone worked through the week and Saturdays for various family members were always busy with kids stuff, gardening, errands, housework etc. I missed out on family Sunday lunches and couldn’t go away the weekend with my friends or partner at the time.

I have no problem with Sunday shopping hours but I think by law, workers should be given a choice whether they want to work or not - usually they don’t get a choice because businesses wouldn’t be able to staff the opening hours from just those who volunteer to work. (It is not always appropriate to the role or viable either that Sunday hours can be covered by a ‘separate’ workforce who specifically want weekend work.)
Every day is a working day, load of tosh to believe otherwise.

Some still live in the dark age of THE working week.

Since leaving school in the 80's

Aircraft engineer
Publican
Brewery
Shop

All 7 days a week cover.

Really only pen pushers/keyboard tappers that believe there's only a 5 day working week.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sunday trading laws are not in force in Scotland, shops could (if they chose) be open 24/7
Interesting. I presume such laws are not needed in Scotland because the locals are miserable parsimonious b'stards who can't wait to shut shop so they can go home and have a good old moan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Aircraft engineer
Publican
Brewery
Shop

All 7 days a week cover.

Really only pen pushers/keyboard tappers that believe there's only a 5 day working week.
Your trajectory is a little worrying. Where next? Chip shop; shoplifting?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
We stayed on Lewis this summer and it was interesting to see everything shut on a Sunday … the church car parks however were packed…

They take it seriously, religion that is.

I actually found it rather nice, we managed to survive the day and Monday came about… life resumed its normal pace…

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Aircraft engineer
Publican
Brewery
Shop

All 7 days a week cover.

Oh I don’t think is a load of tosh that people are forced to work on a Sunday when that’s the only time they can relax with family or be with partners who are otherwise busy on weekdays.

Schools are still Monday-Friday so weekends parents get to do stuff with the kids, take them to football etc

The City/stock market and financial service industry is Monday-Friday.

Most customer services are Monday-Friday

etc etc

So until the entire workforce and schools are working/open compulsory hours on a Sunday, then every day is not a working day for a majority of the workforce.

Sunday is a day people like to do things with family because there is little opportunity in the working week.

People should be given the choice if they want to work when everyone else is enjoying football etc or having lunch with loved ones (or going to parties on a Saturday night until the early hours, knowing they can sleep in on Sunday) .

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Oh I don’t think is a load of tosh that people are forced to work on a Sunday when that’s the only time they can relax with family or be with partners who are otherwise busy on weekdays.

Schools are still Monday-Friday so weekends parents get to do stuff with the kids, take them to football etc

etc etc

So until the entire workforce and schools are working/open compulsory hours on a Sunday, then every day is not a working day for a majority of the workforce.

Sunday is a day people like to do things with family because there is little opportunity in the working week.

People should be given the choice if they want to work when everyone else is enjoying football etc or having lunch with loved ones.
The majority of the workforce, really? REALLY?

Pen pushers, school teachers, the really tiny tiny amount of the workforce in the city. Loads barely leave their bedrooms these days it appears

The rest

Medical
Shops
Delivery
Restaurants
Pubs
Police
Fire Service
Refuge Collectors
Street Cleaners
Farmers
Milkman
Bus drivers
Railway Workers
Coach drivers
Sports people
People working at sports venues
Cinemas
Care home workers
Zoos!
Pilots
Engineers
Hostesses
Ferry staff
Tanker drivers
Army
Airforce
Navy

etc etc etc etc etc etc

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016

etc etc

People should be given the choice if they want to work when everyone else is enjoying football etc or having lunch with loved ones (or going to parties on a Saturday night until the early hours, knowing they can sleep in on Sunday) .
Absolutely spot on.
I can't stand shops being opening on boxing day either. Allow people time to celebrate with family rather than rushing back the day after Christmas day. The 27th December will come around fast enough.
Life's far to busy as it is, give people time to switch off and get together, that's of they can remember how that works.
Mon - Fri aligns with the school week too, we need at least one clear day to interact away from work.
We once lived without supermarkets being open on a Sunday, I'm sure we would all cope.

Edit... I get it is essential for some services, but others can easily close without the world ending.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The majority of the workforce, really? REALLY?

Pen pushers, school teachers, the really tiny tiny amount of the workforce in the city. Loads barely leave their bedrooms these days it appears

The rest

Medical
Shops
Delivery
Restaurants
Pubs
Police
Fire Service
Refuge Collectors
Street Cleaners
Farmers
Milkman
Bus drivers
Railway Workers
Coach drivers
Sports people
People working at sports venues
Cinemas
Care home workers
Zoos!
Pilots
Engineers
Hostesses
Ferry staff
Tanker drivers
Army
Airforce
Navy

etc etc etc etc etc etc
f***ing hell . . . . Take a day off. Chill!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Absolutely spot on.
I can't stand shops being opening on boxing day either. Allow people time to celebrate with family rather than rushing back the day after Christmas day. The 27th December will come around fast enough.
Life's far to busy as it is, give people time to switch off and get together, that's of they can remember how that works.
Mon - Fri aligns with the school week too, we need at least one clear day to interact away from work.
We once lived without supermarkets being open on a Sunday, I'm sure we would all cope.
Don’t ever have an accident on a Sunday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here