Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just been posted on the Amex North Stand's facebook page

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The guy clearly needs a kick up the arse or some guidance or both. "No-one likes a grass" is exceedingly cringeworthy. This prat, however old he is, is spouting bile. Maybe the 'internet community' needs to take notice of this sort of crap and teach these guys a lesson. I can't remember ever denoucning 'gays' at fifteen and proclaiming 'I f***ing hate them'.

He didn't say it to my face, so it is not my battle is a lame response. The chap has been dishing it out and he deserves the consequences coming his way. I wouldn't have done that sort of thing at 15 and I am struggling to think of a friend who would have done the same. Perhaps this might be a lifew changing lesson for him.

Oh no. It's not cool to pick up on this sort of thing...

I work in Preston Park, as a menial tennis/bowling ticket seller. The abuse one receives from kids just out of their short trousers is astonishing. Little respect for anything or everything. Something I definitely wish to fix when I get in to teaching.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That's not against the law. Black or gay is.

Call the cops!

"No-one likes a grass" is exceedingly cringeworthy.

No it's not! It's how everyone in the normal world works. I and everyone I know wouldn't dream of bubbling anyone for anything (within reason). Can only assume those of you that think it's expectable to run to the law when a 12 year old calls you a bender that you were bullied at school and you are trying to get your own back on those bullies.

It's not normal that is for sure.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My attitude is passé? Personally I would rather be that than a grass mate.

Bullying?...of a fifteen year old kid on grown men?...he would shit his skinners if he ever met one of us in real life, and you know it.

Racism? I have a long and proud history of opposing that whenever I have met it.

I have said the following things at football:
Accused anyone from west of Hereford of having intimate knowledge of sheep.
Accused people from North of Watford Gap of being a) work shy b) alcoholism c) wife beaters
Accused Palace and Gillingham fans of being travelling folk
Accused Southend fans of having loose moralled girlfriends
Suggested that visiting fans to Brighton are only in the city because they are looking for casual gay encounters in our nightclubs.

Would you like to report me o the police along with everyone else in H block at Withdean?

You might want to consider the term "grass" in the context of the internet which is a medium that puts all we say in the public arena - what we say invites a reaction. Don't want a reaction then don't post it on the web. And it's not bullying to hope that someone might be helped to learn before it is too late. Do you suggest that we only start to educate our youths once they pass to full adulthood.

Child grows up thinking it is okay to abuse people and that death threats are just a bit of fun? I know kids near me like that - they play shoot em up computer games and they arm themselves with knives and guns in their street gangs and I'm sometimes sure that they are surprised when the person they knife or shoot doesn't just get up again afterwards. Don't think it's an extreme example - I've taught classes of kids from 11 to 18 where more than half of them were "tooled up" inside school. I taught two girls who were shot in an alleyway outside a club in Birmingham because they got in the way of just such a bit of fun. Nice girls. One in particular had a bright future but neither of them got up. Some of the kids involved were arrested, some got away with it. I don't know if they feel any remorse but I am nasty enough to hope that they do. Just a shame someone didn't catch up with some of them earlier. I've also worked with countless kids with mental health issues exacerbated by peer bullying, too often ignored by adults who think that "it's just part of growing up". Some never recover from the experience but those who stood by either don't see it or find no reason to hold blame. I remember Brighton when I lived there thinking itself tough but then I moved to inner city Birmingham and the games tend to be a bit harder. If some little shite from South London thinks its clever to abuse people and threaten to kill people then I frankly don't give a f*** how young he is. Indeed the younger the better because better to learn early that you can't play the hoolie without a chance that it'll come back and bite you. We are not all cocooned in some nice south coast bubble where the thought of violence is most often separated from the consequence.

Abuse is damaging and not always only to the abused so I'm sorry my friend but I would rather live in my world than yours.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Call the cops!

I didn't make the law but it was made because there is a large section of society that have suffered discrimination, pain and even death because of their colour or sexuality. That is a reality and why it is unacceptable. I haven't reported this person but I can understand why he was reported. He'll only get a caution at his age, surely, so the over top reaction from the 'don't grass him up brigade' can rest easy.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No it's not! It's how everyone in the normal world works. I and everyone I know wouldn't dream of bubbling anyone for anything (within reason). Can only assume those of you that think it's expectable to run to the law when a 12 year old calls you a bender that you were bullied at school and you are trying to get your own back on those bullies.

Ignoring this 12/15 year old case... I was talking in more general terms. You think it is OK (within reason), not to report someone for a crime? Where do you draw the line? What crimes earn the green light for you and what crosses the line?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Kids that start with the racist/homophobic abuse could EASILY end up doing something terrible if they're not stopped at an early age. I think that what Severnside and others have done is absolutely 100% correct and justified.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
You might want to consider the term "grass" in the context of the internet which is a medium that puts all we say in the public arena - what we say invites a reaction. Don't want a reaction then don't post it on the web. And it's not bullying to hope that someone might be helped to learn before it is too late. Do you suggest that we only start to educate our youths once they pass to full adulthood.

Child grows up thinking it is okay to abuse people and that death threats are just a bit of fun? I know kids near me like that - they play shoot em up computer games and they arm themselves with knives and guns in their street gangs and I'm sometimes sure that they are surprised when the person they knife or shoot doesn't just get up again afterwards. Don't think it's an extreme example - I've taught classes of kids from 11 to 18 where more than half of them were "tooled up" inside school. I taught two girls who were shot in an alleyway outside a club in Birmingham because they got in the way of just such a bit of fun. Nice girls. One in particular had a bright future but neither of them got up. Some of the kids involved were arrested, some got away with it. I don't know if they feel any remorse but I am nasty enough to hope that they do. Just a shame someone didn't catch up with some of them earlier. I've also worked with countless kids with mental health issues exacerbated by peer bullying, too often ignored by adults who think that "it's just part of growing up". Some never recover from the experience but those who stood by either don't see it or find no reason to hold blame. I remember Brighton when I lived there thinking itself tough but then I moved to inner city Birmingham and the games tend to be a bit harder. If some little shite from South London thinks its clever to abuse people and threaten to kill people then I frankly don't give a f*** how young he is. Indeed the younger the better because better to learn early that you can't play the hoolie without a chance that it'll come back and bite you. We are not all cocooned in some nice south coast bubble where the thought of violence is most often separated from the consequence.

Abuse is damaging and not always only to the abused so I'm sorry my friend but I would rather live in my world than yours.

You still haven't answered my question. Have you ever sung "Shoot the Palace scum?"

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Yes, he is just a kid. Yes, he is acting billy big bollocks behind a keyboard because he hasn't got the intelligence or the emotional maturity to say anything with any value. And no, he hasn't made a direct threat to an individual person, nor even one he is realistically going to carry out, he's just trying to look big in front of his mates. But the point is that going unpunished for behaviour like that only sends the message that what he's doing is acceptable. That spouting vile homophobia and using the crudest of language like it's going out of fashion is something that nobody is going to object to or pull him up on. And it IS a slippery slope - perhaps not for this individual kid, who is just a weedy little gobshite trying to get some cool points off his equally pathetic little mates - but as a stock example of those with this sort of tendency, whether racist or homophobic or whatever.

Some WILL escalate this sort of keyboard warrior behaviour into verbal threats in person. Some of those will manifest their hatred physically in some way. And unless every person who steps over a line, whether a gobby kid or not, is held to account by everyone else as a whole and told their behaviour is unacceptable, what is to stop them carrying on ad infinitum? The boy is clearly not that bright and I think it's sad that there are a new generation of racists and homophobes and bigots who are growing up with such backward views. From older generations there is a degree of leeway due to changing times and perspectives etc, but when a 14 or 15 year old kid makes a bigoted comment, a kid who has grown up in the 21st century when equality is widespread and difference is accepted and even celebrated, I think big questions need to be asked about how they come to believe what they do.

In this case, is it worth him being expelled, or imprisoned, or 'Jamied'? No, absolutely not. But he deserves a right bollocking off a teacher or a parent and a scare from a copper having a chat with him if necessary. Whatever it takes to wind his chirpy little neck in and come to understand that actions have consequences, and if you can't be trusted to act responsibly and respectfully, whether in the real world or online, then the world is gonna come down on you like a ton of bricks. I'd rather he get a visit from Darren or whoever and have him stop shooting his mouth off thinking he's invincible, than grow up to be a homophobic adult who batters someone in the street because they're wearing pink or something.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've never sung a song about shooting the Palace bastards. I'm sure there are plenty who have not done so, also.

I fail to see what is wrong with ensuring that the chap in question realises that his ghastly prose is wrong/not wanted.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Call the cops!

So you see someone weaving all over the road looking like they may have been drinking. You wouldn't report them to the OB? Wouldn't want to be a grass would you.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You still haven't answered my question. Have you ever sung "Shoot the Palace scum?"

Quite simply "no".

Sorry to disappoint but I really am a boring fart although, possibly contra to the stereotype, I do cheer (my biggest worry being in East next season is that I might be the only one).

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Quite simply "no".

Sorry to disappoint but I really am a boring fart although, possibly contra to the stereotype, I do cheer (my biggest worry being in East next season is that I might be the only one).

Wow. Ok. If that is true there is simply no point in debating this any further. You sound like a Mary Whitehouse type figure who probably blames lifes ills on shoot em up computer games.

Enjoy your chat with Darren whilst he could be doing better things and enjoy your witness day in court if the Police continue the trend of prosecuting similar social media cases.

And dont forget you have made the world a safer place.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wow. Ok. If that is true there is simply no point in debating this any further. You sound like a Mary Whitehouse type figure who probably blames lifes ills on shoot em up computer games.

Enjoy your chat with Darren whilst he could be doing better things and enjoy your witness day in court if the Police continue the trend of prosecuting similar social media cases.

What % of Albion fans at the games do you think sing the Palace scum song?

Hint: it's less than 20%.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

I have a some what vested interest in these statements as my degree is based around being the "internet police" for the less tech-minded.

The internet is a powerful tool for spreading a message. A lot of what we say and do now comes from the internet, particularly in my generation as a nearly 19 year old. Ideas spread fast, viral is the way to go and you can find an entire subculture sprouting from the many billions of bytes we store our data in now.

With this new power and way of spreading ideas comes a new responsibility to stop ideas which are hateful spreading fast enough. Ok, so limiting the effect of stormfront (a white supremacy forum) is more important than this boys twitter but the fact is he is using a tool which can be used to spread information and messages very very very fast foolishly. I my self used to love a good NSC fight, until i grew up a bit. but the words said to me on here about what I say staying helped. As did my developing interest in computer security and law.

It's not about being a grass, it's about making the internet what it was created for - sharing information and diversity. It's a global web, so why should any corner of it not reflect the world?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Great post...why do some people think it's a crime to report someone...you are not allowed to take justice yourself so the proper and right way is to report them. My daughter who is multi disabled was bullied at school by a girl steeped in religion...so I was supposed to go and see her and give her a smacking? No,reported her to the headmaster who had a meeting with the girl and her parents,named and shamed her and made her apologise...the bullying stopped. Now if that makes me a 'Grass'...so be it...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I have a some what vested interest in these statements as my degree is based around being the "internet police" for the less tech-minded.

The internet is a powerful tool for spreading a message. A lot of what we say and do now comes from the internet, particularly in my generation as a nearly 19 year old. Ideas spread fast, viral is the way to go and you can find an entire subculture sprouting from the many billions of bytes we store our data in now.

With this new power and way of spreading ideas comes a new responsibility to stop ideas which are hateful spreading fast enough. Ok, so limiting the effect of stormfront (a white supremacy forum) is more important than this boys twitter but the fact is he is using a tool which can be used to spread information and messages very very very fast foolishly. I my self used to love a good NSC fight, until i grew up a bit. but the words said to me on here about what I say staying helped. As did my developing interest in computer security and law.

It's not about being a grass, it's about making the internet what it was created for - sharing information and diversity. It's a global web, so why should any corner of it not reflect the world?

Well if your degree is in it you must be right.

Good luck with making the Internet a sterile environment where diversity and peace is all that is allowed. Whenever there has been a trade in "dangerous ideas" from pamphleteering to the underground press of occupied Europe there have been a little army of moral crusaders lining up to stop it.

Ok this boy is a bellend, ok he is symptomatic of a general erosion in respect and collective responsibility among the young...my point is if you grass up this particular pollock then you may as well spend all day every day reading twitter and Facebook and reporting every miscreant who tweets some stupid stereotype or prejudice...there are a LOT of them though. Singling out this boy to "teach him a lesson" or stop him from going on some street vendetta against gays and or Brighton fans is just..well..a bit f***ing wet.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all of this came about because someone started reading some idiots tweets and others deciding we should go on a crusade against him as a bit of fun a la Jamie. This then became a reason for adult men who,it turns out, do not engage in football chanting and dread taking up station in the Amex because others do, contacting his school,the police,his parents or whoever to ruin the miserable pricks life.

It's an over reaction and it's tragic that some still think its OK to do this...mock him, laugh at him, show him up with tweets of your own if you can be bothered....call the Police? Never, not for this.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
That's not against the law. Black or gay is.

I cant understand why calling someone gay is a bad thing ??
if we aint we can laugh it off if we were is'nt that a name that gays gave theirselfs when they werent happy being called various other names ?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Which throws up a sub-debate to all this - should people be forced to conform to certain ideas i.e that homosexualality is a good thing.

Liberals tend to use the word diversity to describe an all inclusive attitude in which everyone is welcome except for people who don't agree with them. True diversity would allow homophobic and racist people to air their views in public.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here