Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV offends with coloured remark

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've just read an article where ITV producers have been reprimanded for using the term coloured to describe football players and coaches. The news item concerned racism in football and how it has changed but stated even now there are only three coloured managers in the game. Excuse me for being thick but what is the acceptable description of someone who isn't white.

ITV can say whatever they like, nobody is watching it, surely ?? There is nothing worth watching on the channel, I'm not even sure my TV can get it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In the Western Cape many inhabitants would be horrified if you called them black. They insist they are coloured. They have though struggled more than others to find their identity within the new South Africa.
So is Steven Pienaar black or coloured ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Gareth Keenan can explain the correct terms to use:

[yt]AcB0YAyFlyg[/yt]

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Jeez there are some techty people on here..(Sorry not allowed to name another poster). Some of you are'nt old enough to remember but back in the 50s when immigrants were called 'Black' there was an outcry because of it being considered abusive and racist...so they changed it by saying that they had to call them 'Coloured'....now that word is considered racist and we are being told they are 'Black'....I don't really care....what's in a name anyway...to me a person is a person,I look past the skin colour and see the personality inside...I once worked with a load of ...er what shall I say...people who were'nt my colour...in fact only 3 of us were white...We got called 'Honky'...we'd just laugh and call them' Blacks' and they laugh...all very light banter and we all got along fine.
What is really racist in my opinion is the touchiness of politicians and Civil Service personal who trying to intergate with their voters by coming out with 'You must not say,BLACKboard or BLACKmail"
Some people need to get a life..

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
3 pages into a thread about race issues and bushy is yet to get involved....surely some sort of record?
Sigh!! It's a bit of non-issue really , anyone getting the hump about being called coloured just needs to man up a bit, there are far more important issues to deal with, i watched a programme called " i love 1979" the other day, there was a black woman on there getting tetchy because white women were copying the famous bo derek cornrow haircut back then, and she was moaning because " er hello, we've ( black people) been doing it for ages, christ almighty, is there anything some of these people wont take offence at ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jeez there are some techty people on here..(Sorry not allowed to name another poster). Some of you are'nt old enough to remember but back in the 50s when immigrants were called 'Black' there was an outcry because of it being considered abusive and racist...so they changed it by saying that they had to call them 'Coloured'....now that word is considered racist and we are being told they are 'Black'....I don't really care....what's in a name anyway...to me a person is a person,I look past the skin colour and see the personality inside...I once worked with a load of ...er what shall I say...people who were'nt my colour...in fact only 3 of us were white...We got called 'Honky'...we'd just laugh and call them' Blacks' and they laugh...all very light banter and we all got along fine.
What is really racist in my opinion is the touchiness of politicians and Civil Service personal who trying to intergate with their voters by coming out with 'You must not say,BLACKboard or BLACKmail"
Some people need to get a life..

Tetchy? It's just a debate isn't it? You're referring to banter you had with people you know. I call one of my friends a 'big nose twat', however if I meet someone else with a big nose, I don't call them a 'big nose twat'. Is it really that difficult over 60 years to accept certain attitudes in society change? Does it really take a massive intellect to adapt and develop to what others find offensive?

Clearly you are white, as am I in a predominantly and historically white country. How can you or I possibly pretend to understand what discrimination is? It certainly isn't comparable to being called 'honky' by your black co-workers or friends.

I don't pretend to know how someone from another ethnic background feels about things, but I know through key moments in history, whether apartheid, the civil rights movement in America, that the word 'coloured' is offensive to many people of black ethnic origin. If you don't understand this, then I honestly think you must live in a shoe.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sigh!! It's a bit of non-issue really , anyone getting the hump about being called coloured just needs to man up a bit, there are far more important issues to deal with, i watched a programme called " i love 1979" the other day, there was a black woman on there getting tetchy because white women were copying the famous bo derek cornrow haircut back then, and she was moaning because " er hello, we've ( black people) been doing it for ages, christ almighty, is there anything some of these people wont take offence at ?

Bushy, at last, what would a race discussion be on NSC without your insightful input.

If it's a non-issue, why not just accept not using the term? If there are plenty of more important things to worry about, how difficult can it be for someone to simply change their use of their language?

I actually heard on the radio complaints from 'your' type of people the other day, apparently the 'Chavs' are now becoming offended at being called 'Chavs'. Oh yes, the white jogging suit bottom wearing burberry cap brigade are upset at the label. You lot need to man up!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

Cornrows on white people are pretty offensive.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Bushy, at last, what would a race discussion be on NSC without your insightful input.

If it's a non-issue, why not just accept not using the term? If there are plenty of more important things to worry about, how difficult can it be for someone to simply change their use of their language?

I actually heard on the radio complaints from 'your' type of people the other day, apparently the 'Chavs' are now becoming offended at being called 'Chavs'. Oh yes, the white jogging suit bottom wearing burberry cap brigade are upset at the label. You lot need to man up!
Who the f*** are you calling a chav? chav is a term of abuse , no two ways about it, coloured, isnt, thats why the white working classes get upset , because "your type of people" i.e guardian reading civil servant types, feel perfectly free to sneer at, and look down upon them, in a way they never dream of with blacks or asians.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
My Grandma still refers to blacks/Asians with pretty outdated words that are now deemed hugely offensive. Does it mean she approves of slavery? No. Does it mean she dislikes ethnic minorities? No. Because racism is such a minefield today, people look for it and point the finger at others, so to prove their own innocence. Obviously saying 'coloured' to millions of people is very tactless and such terms should be avoided. But it is getting to the point when you wonder what term CAN you use without someone pointing the finger.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Tetchy? It's just a debate isn't it? You're referring to banter you had with people you know. I call one of my friends a 'big nose twat', however if I meet someone else with a big nose, I don't call them a 'big nose twat'. Is it really that difficult over 60 years to accept certain attitudes in society change? Does it really take a massive intellect to adapt and develop to what others find offensive?

Clearly you are white, as am I in a predominantly and historically white country. How can you or I possibly pretend to understand what discrimination is? It certainly isn't comparable to being called 'honky' by your black co-workers or friends.

I don't pretend to know how someone from another ethnic background feels about things, but I know through key moments in history, whether apartheid, the civil rights movement in America, that the word 'coloured' is offensive to many people of black ethnic origin. If you don't understand this, then I honestly think you must live in a shoe.
From the inside of my shoe I have an answer for you. You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine and I agree that this is a debate,so I put forward my feelings on this subject showing that you cannot please everybody,sometimes it's alright to call them coloured,some find that an insult,sometimes it's alright to call them black,some find it an insult...it does'nt matter what term you use someone will find it offensive,me,I don't care what term you use...what I was illustrating with that 'Honky remark is that if you don't find words offenesive people of all colours and denominations can get along perfectly well.
You are telling me I don't understand history...(I was a War historian) some things I don't understand but having lived through these times I did get an insight to all the Civil Rights and the 50s immigration,in fact I watched the 'Empire Windrush' bring in the first people from the West Indies,I saw notices in London B&Bs No Blacks or Dogs' later it was ' No Coloureds '
For the record I have a big nose...never forgive Monty Python for the 'Life of Brian'...
But just as a matter of interest...what do you call these black/coloured/ people?
Must go now,just noticed a bootlace hanging from the roof!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Who the f*** are you calling a chav? chav is a term of abuse , no two ways about it, coloured, isnt, thats why the white working classes get upset , because "your type of people" i.e guardian reading civil servant types, feel perfectly free to sneer at, and look down upon them, in a way they never dream of with blacks or asians.

Brilliant. I can't add anything to that. I've never had a point so well enforced.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
From the inside of my shoe I have an answer for you. You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine and I agree that this is a debate,so I put forward my feelings on this subject showing that you cannot please everybody,sometimes it's alright to call them coloured,some find that an insult,sometimes it's alright to call them black,some find it an insult...it does'nt matter what term you use someone will find it offensive,me,I don't care what term you use...what I was illustrating with that 'Honky remark is that if you don't find words offenesive people of all colours and denominations can get along perfectly well.
You are telling me I don't understand history...(I was a War historian) some things I don't understand but having lived through these times I did get an insight to all the Civil Rights and the 50s immigration,in fact I watched the 'Empire Windrush' bring in the first people from the West Indies,I saw notices in London B&Bs No Blacks or Dogs' later it was ' No Coloureds '
For the record I have a big nose...never forgive Monty Python for the 'Life of Brian'...
But just as a matter of interest...what do you call these black/coloured/ people?
Must go now,just noticed a bootlace hanging from the roof!

Big noses, that's the Roman's for you! Bloody immigrants!

With regard to your last question, I find it rare I have to distinguish between people with respect to their race, same as I don't generally need to differentiate between peoples sexual preference, or whether they're disabled or whatever might distinguish them from others. If my 5 year old son at the football asks me which player is Jason Roberts, I'd probably say 'the black guy on the edge of our box'. If I said 'the coloured guy on the edge of our box', no doubt my son would ask 'which colour?'. 5 year olds can teach us a lot if you listen to them.

You could do with a sandal today!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
it's not often I genuinely laugh when I read NSC, but there are always exceptions! :lolol:
All you're doing is making flimsy insinuations that you've "made your point" or that my posts have done it for you , without really saying anything concrete , because you cant, I look forward to your next pontless , airy fairy remark that hints at a lot but says little.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You're way off the mark. Here in South Africa there is no problem at all with describing people as Black (typically African), Indian, Coloured (typically mixed race indian/black or malaysian/black or white/black), Chinese or White. Amongst the black community racial heritage is very important to the Zulus, Xhosas, Ndebele, Khoisan etc. They are quite happy to be described as Black and even happier to be recognised as Zulus etc. There is Black Empowerment legislation to ensure that historically disadvantaged races, typically the black population, are helped into the workforce and into management so that the racial balance in work and business more closely reflects the racial balance in the population as a whole.
You've been indoctrinated by the PC brigade to believe that it is racist to describe someone as black or coloured. It is only racist if you are using the term as an insult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here