Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV offends with coloured remark

Wazzetta

Sep 6, 2011
I think you'll find judas is in modern english language an adjective to describe treacherous or betraying.

Judas is a name and therefore a noun, it may well be used by religious zealots to label traitorous behaviour, but a noun it is. You are in fact arguing my point though, thank you!

Wazzetta

Sep 6, 2011
My point is "Sticks and stones", adjectives are describing words and are being hijacked and labelled as racist. I question the definition of racism. Is using a label really racism? Burning crosses, segregation, ethnic cleansing, violence, now thats racism, calling someone "******, Kyke, Yid, WHiteboy, Pikey, Frog, Mick, Jock" I question.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
My point is "Sticks and stones", adjectives are describing words and are being hijacked and labelled as racist. I question the definition of racism. Is using a label really racism? Burning crosses, segregation, ethnic cleansing, violence, now thats racism, calling someone "******, Kyke, Yid, WHiteboy, Pikey, Frog, Mick, Jock" I question.

Racism is a belief system. Racism can be expressed in many ways, such as name-calling, stereotyping, violence, avoidance, fear. Some are obviously motivated by dislike or hatred, but some are more subtle or disguised. Some may even be unintentional. Not all acts motivated by racism lead to the spilling of blood.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This entire argument aside: is it really that much of an imposition on you to not use the term "coloured"? Would it REALLY be such an effort, or impact particularly significantly on your life?

No?

Excellent, then let's all take that on board and just get on with life then, shall we? I have no idea why people seem to be getting so wound up by someone simply saying "we'd rather you didn't use that word". Don't use it. Simple.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
There is always the odd bad egg in any country / social group. NZ and Australia are nothing alike though in this respect. I consider Australia terrible, they have a lot of hatred to various communities like the lebanese etc on the east coast, and lack much respect for their aboriginal people (in general, particularly the youth). In NZ I consider Christchurch to be the most similar to Australia and you can see the odd bit of racism there. My Chinese flatmate got abused on the street there and she got told to go home etc, she was quite shocked as she had been in NZ for years and never experienced anything remotely like it.

I'm not sure how Maoris being "a bit blacker" would change anything.

Agreed. NZ is far more tolerant than Aus in general. The point I was making is that, irrespective of the merits of this or that society that the term coloured is an old fashioned and offensive term to most ethnic groups who are not white. I don't much care whether it is seen as overly sensitive by those ignorant enough to persist in its usage for all with non white skin it's just a FACT that black and Asian people, by and large, would never refer to themselves in this way so neither should whites.

Seriously has anyone on here ever heard a black person under middle age use this term unless in a jokey way? Maybe I am missing something but I never have.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
This entire argument aside: is it really that much of an imposition on you to not use the term "coloured"? Would it REALLY be such an effort, or impact particularly significantly on your life?

No?

Excellent, then let's all take that on board and just get on with life then, shall we? I have no idea why people seem to be getting so wound up by someone simply saying "we'd rather you didn't use that word". Don't use it. Simple.

I am willing to bet that OB are told not to use this , or other fruity terms, (unless they are in the back of the van and caught on someone's I phone that is)

I know we are ac IC1s or IC2 & 3s etc. but I reckon that someone would have a quiet word if one of your lot was going around referring to the ethnic population as "coloureds"

Here endeth.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Agree but they are being told not to use the word Blackmail as well and teachers are advised not to use the word Blackboard...just how crazy can you get...it's just a word....do I get offended in the term of Whitewash? No...more in life than getting offended...in the Grand scheme of things does it really matter...I guess some people find words offensive...but that is their problem...anyway cheers you good people...keep rocking!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Some years ago we were told that `Black` was not acceptable, there are various shades of Black so Coloured fits the bill,surely this is preferable to `Non-White`
I was amazed recently to read that `Packi` is considered to be racilist,whereas in fact it is just a shortened version of their race,I suppose that the next thing calling an Australian an `Ozzie` is racilist,What next?

Some years ago we were told that `Black` was not acceptable, there are various shades of Black so Coloured fits the bill,surely this is preferable to `Non-White`
I was amazed recently to read that `Packi` is considered to be racilist,whereas in fact it is just a shortened version of their race,I suppose that the next thing calling an Australian an `Ozzie` is racilist,What next?
One thing that is absolutely certain is that "Pakistani" is a nationality, not a race. A second thing is that "paki" is an epithet that is widely used by racists as an offensive way to refer to a whole range of people originating from a variety of nations (including the UK).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Judging by many of the responses in this thread, Thomas Gray was right when he said 'where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.'

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

No?

Is it really that much of an imposition on you to be referred to as "coloured"? Does it REALLY impact particularly significantly on your life?

No?

Excellent, then let's all take that on board and just get on with life then, shall we?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is it really that much of an imposition on you to be referred to as "coloured"? Does it REALLY impact particularly significantly on your life?

No?

Excellent, then let's all take that on board and just get on with life then, shall we?

Is it really that much of an imposition on you to be referred to as "chav"? Does it REALLY impact particularly significantly on your life?

No?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Agree but they are being told not to use the word Blackmail as well and teachers are advised not to use the word Blackboard...just how crazy can you get...it's just a word....do I get offended in the term of Whitewash? No...more in life than getting offended...in the Grand scheme of things does it really matter...I guess some people find words offensive...but that is their problem...anyway cheers you good people...keep rocking!

Your point being?

Do you call it a coloured board then? Coloured mail? Ffs.

I think that the people who objected to black sheep, black balled, black listed really really need to sort themselves out. Coloured is still the wrong term for black people in the modern era.

You must be very tiresome in the pub. I imagine a conversation with you might go like this "how's the wife?" "I don't call her that...I call her bitchwhore"..."oh,does she mind being called bitchwhore...seems a bit offensive"...."no mate, I obviously haven't asked her but I have always called her that to everyone I know and everyone thinks I'm great so it's fine"

Keep on rockin.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008

Your spelling offends me much more than any of the words you posted....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Your point being?

Do you call it a coloured board then? Coloured mail? Ffs.

I think that the people who objected to black sheep, black balled, black listed really really need to sort themselves out. Coloured is still the wrong term for black people in the modern era.

You must be very tiresome in the pub. I imagine a conversation with you might go like this "how's the wife?" "I don't call her that...I call her bitchwhore"..."oh,does she mind being called bitchwhore...seems a bit offensive"...."no mate, I obviously haven't asked her but I have always called her that to everyone I know and everyone thinks I'm great so it's fine"

Keep on rockin.
You seem to have a problem with reading...my point was it has always been known as Blackmail/Blackboard but the offended say you should'nt call it that....there is no way that I'm offended by either of those words and regards to 'coloured'...do I call my box of different coloured paints...er...they're black/white...no I say they are coloured paints because thats what they are and to me mixed race people are coloured...not black..not white,get a grip man...if something is given a name...use it...nobody has the right to tell you it's wrong...it's your case it's "You said what!....now I must look for an offensive word so I can go ape shit!
Would'nt talk about my wife in a pub...she died at the young age of 49 in agony. The whole point of my post is that too many people LOOK for problems...as you do...just relax...in 20/30 years time, mine, your views won't be mentioned and the world moves on...you really are a tight wound up spring...to you people of mixed race are black,are they black if they are a slighty tinged white colour...to me they are coloured and to me they are some of the most beautiful people in the world.....now go and chillax...sorry is that word offensive?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I take your 'sticks and stones' arguent and counter with my "the pen is mightier than the sword" argument. Let the battle of the idioms commence.

Words are not just words they are a powerful weapon that can make people laugh or cry, they can inspire or crush, they can heal or destroy. Words are not neutral expressions, they mean things and every type of words carry huge weight and should be used with thought and care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here