Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV offends with coloured remark

I've just read an article where ITV producers have been reprimanded for using the term coloured to describe football players and coaches. The news item concerned racism in football and how it has changed but stated even now there are only three coloured managers in the game. Excuse me for being thick but what is the acceptable description of someone who isn't white.

Non swimmer

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I understand from a Police Inspector friend that the term should be "dual heritage" now.

He kept banging on about a "dual heritage" lad playing football, and I could not understand what he was going on about. Then I twigged and asked if it was it was the "coloured lad" he was talking about - apparently it was but they are no longer allowed to refer to than as that. What a load of bollox! We were both talking about him in very complementary terms, and there was no malice involved, so what is wrong with that?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I understand from a Police Inspector friend that the term should be "dual heritage" now.

He kept banging on about a "dual heritage" lad playing football, and I could not understand what he was going on about. Then I twigged and asked if it was it was the "coloured lad" he was talking about - apparently it was but they are no longer allowed to refer to than as that. What a load of bollox! We were both talking about him in very complementary terms, and there was no malice involved, so what is wrong with that?

I've just read your post and all you've described is a player that I assume is not white. Seriously, what ethnic background was the player were you watching?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bet most men would choose to identify themselves as 'men' rather than merely 'non-females'!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Blimey! I'm dual heritage. Or possibly triple heritage.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Coloured is a stupid old fashioned term. I usually shout "Hey Blood" whenever I spot an ethnic. I like to think they appreciate I am making them feel at home.

Although not actually in my home obviously.

Or near my daughter obviously.

Apart from that I rub along nicely with my Homeys innit.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
To a white man different coloured skins are coloured end of,calling a white man coloured is just stupid don't you think?

since you are extremely unlikely to be pure white, but rather a pinkish flesh colour, your skin is indeed coloured. The question then is since this is an undisputable fact why do you find white people being called coloured stupid and judging by your reaction offensive. Answer that and you'll understand why black people find being called coloured stupid and offensive.

Except of course for them it is a very common experience, whereas this is probably one of the few times you've faced this issue.

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Racism is all about intent. People who misread others intention tend to have the issue themselves.

I think your view is that of a closed minded and ignorant bigot, However I intend no offence. I am merely stating what i read. Consequently by your standards you have no right to be offended and if you are the issue is yourself. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here