Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV offends with coloured remark

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nope, white is all the colours. White light is made up of every spectrum of colour.
That's light, where colours are additive, but doesn't apply to physical subtractive colours.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
maybe the issue is that other races or diffrent ethnicity people should be found a more respectable name to be called,but i get the feeling that even having a name would be seen as racist by most.

It's not merely having a name that makes something racist. 'Colored' was once widely used, as was 'negro', even 'n_gger' as terms that people identified themselves with. The problem comes when that term is used in a derogatory way. Over time, through the weight of use in racist abuse, a term can get contaminated as being a derogatory term first, and a neutral term second. That's why the group currently identifying themselves as black keep having to reinvent what they want to be called, whereas the dominant group don't have to worry about that and can carry on calling themselves 'white' for ever more.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
To a white man diffrent coloured skins are coloured end of,calling a white man coloured is just stupid don't you think?

And, to a man who isn't white, white skins are "coloured", yes?

I'm not trying to be all 'one-up' on you here, but when I (a white man) was walking through a remote forest in India, an Indian man literally stopped and stared at me, because to him, I was different. He wasn't rude, violent or abusive to me, just amazed. At that moment I felt I had an inkling of knowing what it was like to be a victim of racism.

Has anything like that happened to you? You understand the point I'm making, don't you?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
And, to a man who isn't white, white skins are "coloured", yes?

I'm not trying to be all 'one-up' on you here, but when I (a white man) was walking through a remote forest in India, an Indian man literally stopped and stared at me, because to him, I was different. He wasn't rude, violent or abusive to me, just amazed. At that moment I felt I had an inkling of knowing what it was like to be a victim of racism.

Has anything like that happened to you? You understand the point I'm making, don't you?
Fairplay to you for being in that rare position,but in my opinion that has nout to do with racism,that man was confused as he maybe hadn't seen a white man before,your experience is not race related its more to do with confusion and the unknown from his point of view.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You tell me what you think is acceptable?

That's not really an answer to my question, is it? Do you believe that because something used to be acceptable it should always be acceptable?

(In answer to your question, I think what is acceptable depends on the people present/involved and their sensibilities, and culture at large)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
your just going way to deep where the awnser is not possible,first we called blacks coloured and now we call them black,problem solved.

It's that simple

What do blacks want to be called?its on all forms and applications so what's the issue?

I think anyone would want to be called by their name first, then refer to their individual ethnicity if that is required. 'Coloured' doesn't do that, as the OP said, it refers to anybody that isn't white which in itself is derogatory.

It's not hard really. Perhaps you'd like to think it's all PC gone made, we don't know where we stand etc. but actually, it's just common sense and decency and about respecting others.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
That's not really an answer to my question, is it? Do you believe that because something used to be acceptable it should always be acceptable?

(In answer to your question, I think what is acceptable depends on the people present/involved and their sensibilities, and culture at large)
I think black is very acceptable and coloured,yes coloured is going back a few years but don't recall many blacks being offended back then and to be honest i doubt 99% would now.Its just the minority that moan:)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think anyone would want to be called by their name first, then refer to their individual ethnicity if that is required. 'Coloured' doesn't do that, as the OP said, it refers to anybody that isn't white which in itself is derogatory.

It's not hard really. Perhaps you'd like to think it's all PC gone made, we don't know where we stand etc. but actually, it's just common sense and decency and about respecting others.
Yes in general life the colour of the skin is irrelevant as names are used,but it becomes a problem when certain topic's are brought up.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think black is very acceptable and coloured,yes coloured is going back a few years but don't recall many blacks being offended back then and to be honest i doubt 99% would now.Its just the minority that moan:)

I didn't ask if you thought 'black' or 'coloured' was acceptable. I asked if something being acceptable in the past meant it should always be acceptable.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Christ you really do get some strange people on here.I do laugh at why certain white people are called ignorant because they disagree on certain matters,it's not all one way traffic pal as most on here seem to think.

Thank **** people like Sir Albion exist. Unfortunately the racist card is used far too often and unnecessarily. Sadly, much like religon it is a bandwagon that is far too easy to jump on.

maybe the issue is that other races or diffrent ethnicity people should be found a more respectable name to be called,but i get the feeling that even having a name would be seen as racist by most.
"Other races"? "Different ethnicity people"?

You seem to want to divide the world into just two categories - people with similar ethnicity to yourself and everyone else.

Why make the division like that? What's wrong with you plonking yourself in with "people from the northern hemisphere" and everyone else could be "people from the southern hemisphere"? In other words, you could be Chinese / Arab / Asian / European etc and the "other races" could choose their own "respectable" name.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Racism is all about intent. People who misread others intention tend to have the issue themselves.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think black is very acceptable and coloured,yes coloured is going back a few years but don't recall many blacks being offended back then
It depends how far back you go, but there was obviously a time when what term someone was defined as was the least of their worries.

and to be honest i doubt 99% would now.
I doubt that.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thank **** people like Sir Albion exist. Unfortunately the racist card is used far too often and unnecessarily. Sadly, much like religon it is a bandwagon that is far too easy to jump on.

Only problem with what you are saying is that no one here is saying that anyone who use the term 'coloured' is automatically a racist. Ofcom didn't denounce the ITV reporter as a racist either.

You're using the 'racist card is used far too often' card.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Racism is all about intent. People who misread others intention tend to have the issue themselves.

Its also about discrimination. There maybe no intent behind some discrimination, in fact those discriminating may not even realise they are doing it, but that unfortunately has consequences for those being discriminated against. I think it is a complete cop out to believe racism is simply about someones intent to be racist.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Racism is a belief that people of some races (and, by extension, ethnicities) are inherently superior or inferior to others. Usually it does, but it doesn't have to have conscious intent. There's a whole load of subconscious stuff going on with racism.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I do find your position on the matter quite racist. I am not calling you a racist, nor do I blame you for it, you just share a dated view on what "race" actually is and how to approach it.

You shouldn't be asking "What do blacks want to be called?" or stating "first we called them coloured, now we call them black".

it is not us and them. People of African descent don't want to be seen as a "them" who are different from everyone else in the country they were born in. It is this dated attitude that is responsible for racism. They are simply British people of African descent, and like everyone else they have different features to their appearance.

There is no word to group short people, people with blue eyes, blonde people etc. Why do you need a word to describe all people with darker skin or of African descent?

If you really want to group people with darker skin, or African descent, maybe think of a way you can phrase it without grouping them as if they are a different "type" of person.

midgets

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Its also about discrimination. There maybe no intent behind some discrimination, in fact those discriminating may not even realise they are doing it, but that unfortunately has consequences for those being discriminated against. I think it is a complete cop out to believe racism is simply about someones intent to be racist.

sigh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here