Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this another Albion management shambles?

Is this another Albion management appointment shambles?

• Yes

Votes: 106 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 95 47.3%

• Total voters

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Most teams take over a week to appoint a new manager. Its more important to get the right man in than make a rush decision to appease the fans.

Bloom is pumping the money in, he has to be sure the right man is in charge of it to make it a success.

Some fair points .... but

Why were you so utterly convinced that DK could deliver the things that you suspect that TB cannot ??
In one sentence ... because DK understood the politics of the situation and TB has yet to learn them.

[And I'm not saying that this understanding won't come - but it will take time]

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Tony Bloom has done nothing to upset me.

My concerns are very simple and focus on his lack of experience of running a complex organisation like a football club. It isn't the case - in my opinion - that "spunking a lot of money" on the playing side will bring automatically bring success on the pitch. Nor is it the case that offering a big budget to a big name manager will necessarily work. My impression of Tony Bloom is that he is like MOST football fans. He desperately wants success for his team. But very few of us know how to achieve that. I certainly don't. He's easy to relate to because he is a fan. But the impression I have of him is that he knows not much more about football than the rest of us.

His money has kept this club alive and still moving forward - and we should all be more than grateful for that. But I don't buy into the argument that his wealth alone means that he will get the rest of the package right. Events of the last few days suggest that some people who DO know their football (Steve Coppell, for example) also have their doubts about whether this club is in the right shape to succeed. That is very worrying.

I take on board your concerns, but arent they the same at any club? How many chairman (and particularly all powerful ones like TB) have previous experience of running a football club? He clearly is a very successful businessman and is certainly no Mark Goldberg.

I too dont like the fact we are so reliant on one individual and that individual has total control, but the bottom line is, we had no Plan B (inspite of all the spin), so we have no choice but to accept and fully support TB.

I also think you need to digest and get over the fact that TB is likely to be at the club for a very long time!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Tony Bloom has done nothing to upset me.

My concerns are very simple and focus on his lack of experience of running a complex organisation like a football club. It isn't the case - in my opinion - that "spunking a lot of money" on the playing side will bring automatically bring success on the pitch. Nor is it the case that offering a big budget to a big name manager will necessarily work. My impression of Tony Bloom is that he is like MOST football fans. He desperately wants success for his team. But very few of us know how to achieve that. I certainly don't. He's easy to relate to because he is a fan. But the impression I have of him is that he knows not much more about football than the rest of us.

His money has kept this club alive and still moving forward - and we should all be more than grateful for that. But I don't buy into the argument that his wealth alone means that he will get the rest of the package right. Events of the last few days suggest that some people who DO know their football (Steve Coppell, for example) also have their doubts about whether this club is in the right shape to succeed. That is very worrying.

Yet you had absolute blind faith in a regime that was taking the club backwards and continually lied to the fans and if you believe Peter Taylor the first team manager......that to me is very worrying!

Yet you had absolute blind faith in a regime that was taking the club backwards and continually lied to the fans and if you believe Peter Taylor the first team manager......that to me is very worrying!
I suppose you're entitled to the opinion that this club moved backwards between 1997 and 2009. I'll beg to differ.

Apart from getting Falmer, DK's biggest achievement might eventually be seen as keeping the Bloom family on board.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. Events of the last few days suggest that some people who DO know their football (Steve Coppell, for example) also have their doubts about whether this club is in the right shape to succeed. That is very worrying.

Funny that, didn't Coppell initially turn the job down when Knight was Chairman and with a much lower profile (recently left League 1 Brentford) than he has now? Did you draw the same conclusions then?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Was it bitter - or is it just you reading that it into it ?

I can't see any reason why Lord B would think himself "untouchable" (which is a strange term to use".

Lord B doesnt, as proved by the fact he's partaking in this discussion (and we now have a much better insight into his thoughts on TB as a result).

You do by virtue of your previous post!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Lord B doesnt, as proved by the fact he's partaking in this discussion (and we now have a much better insight into his thoughts on TB as a result).

You do by virtue of your previous post!

Nah. Discussion is one thing - but there is a degree of criticism that is personal. And I was not thinking of you as it happens. But Lord B is big enough (and certainly ugly enough) to stand up for himself.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
In one sentence ... because DK understood the politics of the situation and TB has yet to learn them.

[And I'm not saying that this understanding won't come - but it will take time]

And how many times did Knight lie to us about the funding for Falmer? Or is that the "politics" to which you refer? Without Tony Bloom there would be no Falmer, and therefore no Club (as we know it).

Tony Bloom may be a new Chairman, but his family have been involved with the Club for many years. Knight had no prior knowledge, and was all spin.

Sorry mate, but it sounds to me like you have had your nose put out of joint because you are no longer part of the "inner circle".

At least Tony Bloom is a true fan of the Club, and has the money to move it forward. Give the guy a break.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Most teams take over a week to appoint a new manager.

Middlesbrough didn't. Liverpool won't if they do decide to sack Rafa. None of the big European teams appear to dither about changing manager - they always appear to get their man before wielding the axe and if they cannot get the right calibre of person, then the axe wielding will be delayed until they can. If Brighton have ambitions to join the big time, then should we not expect the same?

Perhaps this is what TB has been doing but was let down? Perhaps he is playing a blinder on the media front and leading everyone a merry dance? I hope so.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I suppose you're entitled to the opinion

How very good of you.

that this club moved backwards between 1997 and 2009. I'll beg to differ.

:rolleyes: The club couldn't really sink much lower than it was in 97 when he took over. How about in the last 3-4 years under Knight. Has the club moved forward??

Apart from getting Falmer, DK's biggest achievement might eventually be seen as keeping the Bloom family on board.

That may be so, I don't know. However why did TB boot Knight out as soon as he got hold of keys? And Falmer can hardly be described as an achievement.

rothergull

Worthing ex pat
Jan 25, 2008
rotherham
The only manager definitely wrongly sacked I can remember was Wilkins, and Slade has been unlucky IMO. This isn't a shambles. The Wilkins situation was a shambles, and we had a new manager immediately on that occasion. Given we don't have a league game for another 8 days I don't mind this delay one bit

Agreed :thumbsup:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'm not going to read this whole thread... but no. No it's not. We don't know what the 'strategy' is, doesn't mean there isn't one. All we know is mostly coming from Naylor who as far as I can tell is less informed about the inner workings of the club than he has ever been. There is no one out there as perfect for the job as Steve Coppell, but his saying no (to what, who can say? we don't know how far things went with him) doesn't suddenly mean it's the end of the world as a lot of people on here seem to think. There are still quality options out there, just because people don't know enough about the league and think that the best options are the likes of Jewell or Dowie because they've seen them getting relegated on Match Of The Day that doesn't mean that's the reality of the situation.

And how many times did Knight lie to us about the funding for Falmer? Or is that the "politics" to which you refer? Without Tony Bloom there would be no Falmer, and therefore no Club (as we know it).

Tony Bloom may be a new Chairman, but his family have been involved with the Club for many years. Knight had no prior knowledge, and was all spin.

Sorry mate, but it sounds to me like you have had your nose put out of joint because you are no longer part of the "inner circle".

At least Tony Bloom is a true fan of the Club, and has the money to move it forward. Give the guy a break.

It was "all spin"? Bollocks.

Without the incredibly effective politicking that DK and MP pursued for years, this club would have been killed off.

"Give the guy a break"? Of course. If you could see more clearly ... that is exactly what I am saying. Others may think that the money will see us through. I'm saying it will take more than that.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

Or put another way, Knights ONLY achievement was keeping the Bloom family on board as you put it. As, without them, there would never be a Falmer, and the Club would be in such deep financial shite, that there probably would not ba any Club. Planning permission is one thing (excepted, Falmer's was much harder to obtain than most), funding to build a project is something that is much more difficult to obtain.

Let's get it straight, Knight did not get us Falmer, he only got us the permission to build Falmer (for which he should be congratulated). Tony Bloom will actually get us Falmer, and it is his money they is paying for the wonderfull construction that we are seeing rise out of the ground now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here