Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this another Albion management shambles?

Is this another Albion management appointment shambles?

• Yes

Votes: 106 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 95 47.3%

• Total voters

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'm with Pork Pie on this.

Look at the top two teams in divisions 2, 3 and 4 all of the managers have less than 200 games experience as manager.

Agree - Adams had less than 200 games as a manager before he came to us and so did Wilkins

mind you so did Lloyd, Wood, Hinshelwood

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I remember the quote about 2 million for squad rebuilding as well, it was just pre- Hereford I believe and would allegedly have happened even if we'd been relegated from the football league as well. I have been told since, on here I think, that the reason it never happened was that the Archer "black hole" was bigger than 1st thought so the funds were diverted away from the team and spent elsewhere.

Trust me, the quote I gave earlier is the verbatim one from that press conference ahead of the Doncaster game. It was also contained in the CEDR press release

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
QUOTE=ROSM;3202052]Trust me, the quote I gave earlier is the verbatim one from that press conference ahead of the Doncaster game. It was also contained in the CEDR press release[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup: I must confess to not having seen that when I posted, and accept that I may have chosen to interpret it, at the time (which is why I remember it like I do) as being close to 100% for team strengthening. Happy to be corrected.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Agree - Adams had less than 200 games as a manager before he came to us and so did Wilkins

mind you so did Lloyd, Wood, Hinshelwood

Trust me, the quote I gave earlier is the verbatim one from that press conference ahead of the Doncaster game. It was also contained in the CEDR press release

For clarity who are you taking a pop at in these two posts? Knight or Bloom?

Is it still 1-2? I've lost track! I'm rubbish at this keep score lark!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sadly it is looking that way at the moment.

The early(ish) sacking of Slade by someone who is a clever businessman made me assume that he had someone lined up. All the signs and comments from people in the club supported that. Assuming that he would have spoken to managers prior to the sacking to sound them out, otherwise if you can't get better than Slade why sack him?

All it needed was a call to Wise and Coppell beforehand. If you can't find someone better than Slade then why bother for the moment. Bizarre.

Unless he appoints Curbs and all will be forgiven!!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
For clarity who are you taking a pop at in these two posts? Knight or Bloom?

Is it still 1-2? I've lost track! I'm rubbish at this keep score lark!

touche :lolol:

actually I wasn't having a pop at anyone in those posts - Sometimes I can write stuff without and agenda. I can be quite versatile

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Most teams take over a week to appoint a new manager. Its more important to get the right man in than make a rush decision to appease the fans.

Bloom is pumping the money in, he has to be sure the right man is in charge of it to make it a success.

What he said!! :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oh and if anyone (Phil) is keeping score, on this thread I have implied criticism of Bloom once and Knight twice.

So, you're saying Bloom isn't even worthy of equal criticism?! Leave the guy alone!

How much respect will the players have for a manager that is 4th or 5th choice

I don't think players concern themselves with that sort of thing. It will depend on how successful they are, how much they get picked, and how the manager treats the players.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
On reflection it does beggar belief that a man who is pumping into our club more money than the GDP of some small countries, with very little chance of seeing much, if any of it again, and who unusually in the football world has the club's best interests at heart, can be treated so sceptically by some of us.

Were the previous Board given the same amount of scrutiny by certain individuals, then I could understand it. But it wasnt!

No Bloom, no Falmer. Fact!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Tony Bloom has underwritten the stadium so it's in his interest to make our club a success, he is a Brighton fan (which helps) of long standing who, like the rest of us, has endured a rocky ride down the years and a lot of mediocrity....this appointment will probably be the manager who leads us out at the new stadium, its TB's first as chairman of the club and I think he will want to make a statement of intent. We went down the 'lower league expert' route with Slade and it didn't come off, so I think he will go for a name manager this time to try and get us on the map. Usually I think this kind of move smacks of 'chairman ego', but with us it will serve a purpose....a statement of intent to us fans, getting us a higher profile in the media, attracting the higher profile players who wouldn't otherwise come and to motivate a decent squad already put together by Slade.

As to who it will be, well that I can't tell you, but I think we'll be getting a 'name' this time, and hopefully one who is a bloody good manager to boot.

This has been an interesting discussion. Returning to it, and answering points that have been specifically put to me …

... some on here that couldn't help but be infatuated by a Chairman who offered morsels of information about the club that made them feel important and closer to its politics, even doing there bit on here by offering the club line as fact.
If that’s meant to be a reference to me, I’d simply like to state – as a FACT – that the 21,000 words I wrote for NSC and seagulls.co.uk during the 2005 Public Inquiry were entirely my own work and appeared completely unedited by anyone at the Club.

The notion that anyone in the FFA team were involved in the campaign because Dick Knight offered us “morsels of information” is RIDICULOUS and belittles the hard work that everyone did and fails to recognise the often critical approach that we adopted when the occasion required.

Good when your back answer post#121 please.

Lord B, your post was absolutely spot on until the last couple of sentences.....why you would even assume that Coppell turned down the job on the basis of us not being 'in the right shape to succeed is baffling and stinks of you having a problem with the Blooms
As far as Steve Coppell’s reasons for saying NO are concerned, you may well be right. We haven’t been told what they are. As for the “stink” of me “having a problem with the Blooms”, I don’t. My concerns, insofar as they exist at all, are about the roles being played by various individuals at the club (Barry Lloyd has been mentioned by many). Any potential manager is going to ask some searching questions about what makes the club tick. If we are not “in the right shape”, this will be a deterrent to a talented potential manager with other options available to him. Tony Bloom’s comparative lack of experience in running a football club doesn’t make it easy for him to identify what might be done better. I wish him nothing but the best in getting it right.

can I ask why you think it was Dick Knight that 'kept' the Bloom family on board ? Do you really believe that ?
DK led the consortium that took over the club in 1997. He obviously inherited some baggage (Bellotti and Archer didn’t just go away, for example). He took fairly decisive action to shed some of that baggage. Getting rid of Ray Bloom wasn’t part of that action – and credit to Ray Bloom for the support he gave. It does seem to me to be a fair assessment of what happened to say that DK kept the Bloom family on board.

Are you advocating a Peter Kenyon type appointment i.e. a football business brain type advisor to Bloom? Wouldnt disagree if you are, but where does Ken Brown fit into all this?
I think a “Peter Kenyon” role can be very valuable. Tony Bloom has already brought in a couple of longstanding business associates, Messrs Sugarman and Franks – but they aren’t football business brains. Maybe TB is hoping that being a fan might be enough. I don’t think it is.

As for Ken Brown … he is obviously playing a key role in the management of the Club. Whether he’s performing this role well is a matter for another discussion.

On reflection it does beggar belief that a man who is pumping into our club more money than the GDP of some small countries, with very little chance of seeing much, if any of it again, and who unusually in the football world has the club's best interests at heart, can be treated so sceptically by some of us.

Were the previous Board given the same amount of scrutiny by certain individuals, then I could understand it. But it wasnt!

No Bloom, no Falmer. Fact!
Indeed. He’s a very rich fan who is paying for Falmer. But that doesn’t automatically mean that he can easily identify and appoint a manager who will get us promotion to the Championship.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Arthur and others have made some really quite good points.

I think there was an amateur culture at times at the club, something that I think will not happen again soon.

I think the Board have been bruised recently, their judgement has been proved to be questionable and they are of course determined, more than ever to get the next stage right.

They would of spoken to many many football people recently including listening to some of the views of current and past employees that experienced that unprofessional culture.

Quickly moving on those that they now feel were in some way responsible for some of that, whilst trying to secure a manager and coaching team that must overhaul some aspects of the club.

No longer will you get a Chairman casually offering critical views of players, managers or staff to random fans or players offering their views on their team mates or current/ex managers here on NSC.

I like the change, its called professionalism and its hurting some.

............and to think this pre-dated Nicky Forster's and Gus Poyet's little spat by several months.

Fascinating thread to look back on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here