Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this another Albion management shambles?

Is this another Albion management appointment shambles?

• Yes

Votes: 106 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 95 47.3%

• Total voters

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Haven't seen or read into any comments which purport to be sniping.

Well what do you call this taken from this very thread, amongst a number from literally the day Bloom took over???:

Lord B "Bloom must have noticed by now that being a football club chairman involves more than having a fat cheque book in your pocket.

Good managers will want to work closely with a good chairman. I just hope that the good candidates aren't picking up the vibes and questioning whether they will find one at the Albion."

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
No shit sherlock! We're 12 (Twelve) years (about 10 too long) into a project, he'd be nuts not to talk to the people who have been involved with said project in that time.

However once that project is completed there is no reason why a) Martin Perry should remain at the club b) he needs to talk to any of you lot any more. The sooner both those things happen the better IMO.

I can work out why you've deduced that I've criticised Bloom for this - it's because he has directed two sackings and in neither instance have we had a replacement lined up. The last time we ended up with manager that even he wasn't entirely happy with (which was a a farce for all concerned) and this time we've failed to get the person he first spoke to (which isn't in itself a farce but in reality Coppell has been out of the running since early on in the process).

As for your 10 years too long - an accurate description if dealing with most parts of the UK but in a part of England where we waited 25 years for a library, still waiting after nearly 40 yearsfor an ice rink, the redevlopment of Kingswest is now overdue by 10 years, the West Pier has collapsed, the i360 delayed again and no new Brighton Centre on the horizon, it seems ahead of par.

I do think the removal of White and Booker was the right thing to do and he should be congratulated for doing that.

I agree that Perry shouldn't need to be at the club post stadium delivery and as for talking to the board, directors or any other club official, I'm really not fussed if it never happened again (I talk to my binman more often than I talk to anyone at the club). I'm more than happy attending games with my children and having a relaxing saturday afternoon knowing that little things like the reappointment of Adams or the continued presence of Martin Perry irk you so much. Relax, get over it. You'll feel better afterwards.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
No. A bit early to call it a shambles. It may only have been us on here getting excited about Coppell. Should we have had someone else lined up ? There are arguments for and against.

However - now just take your time. And as Wise has ruled himself out. So have I. Carry on Mr Bloom.

Where has the short cross eyed one ruled himself out - pray tell?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its not a shambles at all.

Hes got rid of a man that was doing a very poor job in my opinion.
He has given himself 2 weeks to find a manager before the next league game, and given the new man a couple of months to assess the squad before the transfer window opens.

With our next run of fixtures and Slade in charge we could have been well adrift, then try gtting a decent manager in !

SPOT ON TONY in my opinion. Not a shambles at all

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
And I have never understood why Lord B gets flack from certain individuals on here. Is it because he got off his backside and made a positive contribution to Falmer and the future of the Club ? If so - it seems bizarre. Carry on Lord B.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I disagree with that. I was fully behind Slade, and think it is ridiculous that he was sacked.

However, I don't think it's even close to fair to be calling the current situation a shambles. It's been barely 5 days since Slade was sacked. Nine days until our next league game. Tony Bloom is taking his time to consider the applicants and a short list of players.

I want a good, thorough job done appointing the new manager, and that appears to be happening.

Well, whoever we end up getting now, this is another jump into the unknown. I was under the assumption that this brutally swift sacking was in part because we already had someone lined up to step in, and a bloody good candidate at that who we needed to get in sharp-ish before losing him to some other club. The fact that this is NOT the case, and that we're actually just at shortlist stage trawling around to see who might be interested, points at this being a bit of a shambles for me I'm afraid.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Well what do you call this taken from this very thread, amongst a number from literally the day Bloom took over???:

Lord B "Bloom must have noticed by now that being a football club chairman involves more than having a fat cheque book in your pocket.

Good managers will want to work closely with a good chairman. I just hope that the good candidates aren't picking up the vibes and questioning whether they will find one at the Albion."

Guess its a matter of how the individual inteprets or percieves a snipe. But I accept your point.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
And I have never understood why Lord B gets flack from certain individuals on here. Is it because he got off his backside and made a positive contribution to Falmer and the future of the Club ? If so - it seems bizarre. Carry on Lord B.

So he is untouchable!! If he professes an opinion as he did with the post I highlighted below, then I'm sure being a reasonable man, he will justify it.

It is precisely because he has made such a positive contribution to Falmer, that such bitter posts need an explanation.

What has TB done to upset you (apart from sacking Knight)?

Lord B, putting your spat with Arthur to one side, why, from the day it was announced that Bloom was taking over and rescuing us from a desperate position, do you continue to make at best questioning (at worst sly) comments about Bloom? Would appreciate an insight into your thoughts on Tony Bloom and why you appear not to be happy about him.
Tony Bloom has done nothing to upset me.

My concerns are very simple and focus on his lack of experience of running a complex organisation like a football club. It isn't the case - in my opinion - that "spunking a lot of money" on the playing side will bring automatically bring success on the pitch. Nor is it the case that offering a big budget to a big name manager will necessarily work. My impression of Tony Bloom is that he is like MOST football fans. He desperately wants success for his team. But very few of us know how to achieve that. I certainly don't. He's easy to relate to because he is a fan. But the impression I have of him is that he knows not much more about football than the rest of us.

His money has kept this club alive and still moving forward - and we should all be more than grateful for that. But I don't buy into the argument that his wealth alone means that he will get the rest of the package right. Events of the last few days suggest that some people who DO know their football (Steve Coppell, for example) also have their doubts about whether this club is in the right shape to succeed. That is very worrying.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
tbh, I'm starting to liken Brighton to Newcastle. No decent manager will want to go near us soon.

Follow that thought process on and the caretaker manager will do a great job, whilst all and sundry are turning us down, and get appointed full time :thumbsup:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

I used to attend FFA meetings before chronic shyness/acute self-awareness got the better of me, and they were blinding. No quarter asked/given and all that. Part of the price the people involved pay for it is getting slagged off, but it's worth it. They do a sterling job of representing a really broad section of fans. And they're all dead pretty.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Events of the last few days suggest that some people who DO know their football (Steve Coppell, for example) also have their doubts about whether this club is in the right shape to succeed. That is very worrying.

But to follow that train of thought we have to reason that SC turned us away because of the 'shape' of the club and not because he was content to wait for a more high profile position. I doubt any here know exactly what his reasons were.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
So he is untouchable!! If he professes an opinion as he did with the post I highlighted below, then I'm sure being a reasonable man, he will justify it.

It is precisely because he has made such a positive contribution to Falmer, that such bitter posts need an explanation.

Was it bitter - or is it just you reading that it into it ?

I can't see any reason why Lord B would think himself "untouchable" (which is a strange term to use".

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Tony Bloom has done nothing to upset me.

My concerns are very simple and focus on his lack of experience of running a complex organisation like a football club. It isn't the case - in my opinion - that "spunking a lot of money" on the playing side will bring automatically bring success on the pitch. Nor is it the case that offering a big budget to a big name manager will necessarily work. My impression of Tony Bloom is that he is like MOST football fans. He desperately wants success for his team. But very few of us know how to achieve that. I certainly don't. He's easy to relate to because he is a fan. But the impression I have of him is that he knows not much more about football than the rest of us.

His money has kept this club alive and still moving forward - and we should all be more than grateful for that. But I don't buy into the argument that his wealth alone means that he will get the rest of the package right. Events of the last few days suggest that some people who DO know their football (Steve Coppell, for example) also have their doubts about whether this club is in the right shape to succeed. That is very worrying.

Some fair points .... but

Why were you so utterly convinced that DK could deliver the things that you suspect that TB cannot ??

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I used to attend FFA meetings before chronic shyness/acute self-awareness got the better of me, and they were blinding. No quarter asked/given and all that. Part of the price the people involved pay for it is getting slagged off, but it's worth it. They do a sterling job of representing a really broad section of fans. And they're all dead pretty.

I considered it - but knew that I did not have the time (I have a NSC habit to support) - but I do have the utmost respect for those that did get involved. Especially you Mr Banana.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here