Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this another Albion management shambles?

Is this another Albion management appointment shambles?

• Yes

Votes: 106 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 95 47.3%

• Total voters

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Who knows if its a shambles or not? All the club have said is, we'll make a shortlist, take our time, announce nothing till next week. That's exactly what's happened.

Frankly, it's only because everyone's been wetting themselves with excitement on here over the last few days, and convinced themselves (with some help from some quarters!) that Coppell was the first and only choice, that the announcement he's not interested has got everyone on such a downer.

Not saying it's not a shambles, but no-one knows.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Makes you wonder why Coppell was favourite to become manager after Bloom has come out and said Coppell said no on first contact.
Maybe Bloom should have said Coppell said no straight away?

"

Bloom should either announce the rejection straight away or not at all. Dont want to hear about who has turned us down as it leads to other prospects questioning why it's been turned down and why they themselves were not first to be contacted.
Is it a shambles? Guess we will only know that once we know who we are getting.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought at the time, Dick knight said he went to meet Mickey Adams, with NO intention of dismissing him, but that following that meeting , he had no alternative, but to sack Adams...?

Apparently, the conversation was more along the lines of Dick Knight informing Micky that, while he (DK) would be prepared to back MA, the latter didn't have the full backing of the board, and Micky responding that if that was the case, he'd step down. Something like that.

'Mutual consent' it's euphemistically called.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
f*** me ,Talk about no patience. Slade has gone for less than a week,Bloom has already stated that there is an extensive list of applicants.What would you rather have, an alright manager in place already or a bloody good manager at the end of the process?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Hinsh, Brown and Oatway all hold better coaching badges than White and Booker i think the teams on the whole in better hands.

Indeed they do, just a lack of experience in what is now a bit of a high pressure situation. Its a lot to ask of Oatway and Brown, but if its not for too long, the damage to the squad and their reputations cannot be damaged too badly.

It could also work out for the best and they turn out to be brilliant!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not sure, will reserve judgement until someone has been appointed. It does look that way at the moment though.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I dont see whats a shambles about it? We only sacked Slade 5 days ago and I'd be more concerned if we'd appointed his replacement by now. That would tell me that we'd either rushed a new appointment without giving it much thought, Or we'd been doing secret negotiations behind Slade's back which is the one thing that pissed me off with the Wilkins / Adams saga. I'd rather the board take they're time and get the right team in for the job.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Not thrusting Hinshelwood into a press conference at five minutes notice to become new manager? :jester:

a Very good point Mr T but that wasn't after a sacking - Taylor had walked out a good 2 months earlier so not having a decent replacement was a serious error. Waiting at Gatwick like an extra in The Terminal for Win Schaffer being the worst part of it.

As for the Adams story, I'd heard (cant vouch for total accuracy on this but has come from two directions) there had been a board meeting where some members of the board (including those representing other shareholders) wished to end Adams' tenure but Knight argued for a stay of execution (dont know reasons why) and got it. Between then and Knight and Adams meeting up in the late afternoon/early evening, a club representative phoned Adams and told him that the likely next chairman and major investor had lost faith in him and so when he and Knight met, Adams knew his days were numbered. A mutual agreement was thrashed out over coffee and Olympic all day breaksfast (with a dollop of Brown sauce and well done mushrooms on the side) in a Little Chef.

Bloom must have noticed by now that being a football club chairman involves more than having a fat cheque book in your pocket.

Good managers will want to work closely with a good chairman. I just hope that the good candidates aren't picking up the vibes and questioning whether they will find one at the Albion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bloom must have noticed by now that being a football club chairman involves more than having a fat cheque book in your pocket.

Good managers will want to work closely with a good chairman. I just hope that the good candidates aren't picking up the vibes and questioning whether they will find one at the Albion.
Ed, you really do need to get over this Bloom-in-charge thing. It's not as if we weren't making managerial f*** ups under Knight is it?

If Bloom gets a reputation for hire em, fire em, it will only ultimately mean that ends up having to pay more for getting his man, nothing else really.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Ooooooh how funny!

Love the way the now ex club lickers high-jack every thread to have a pop at TB because their beloved Dick got shown up as the nomark he is.

WAAAAWAAAAWAAAA I'm not in the inner circle anymore!!! :cry:

Anyone would think you lot would like to languish in the bottom leagues with no home, money or hope!?!

Ed, you really do need to get over this Bloom-in-charge thing. It's not as if we weren't making managerial f*** ups under Knight is it?
Indeed. Knight was always more effective when he was able to take the decisions on his own. Things started to fall apart when he became beholden to the Blooms. When was this? Probably sometime during the McGhee era.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I voted 'shambles' but I can also see and sympathise with the points made by Acker 79 and British Bulldog.

At the very best this episode hasn't done us any favours, and once again the new guy will know he's second choice (at best) despite the spin being put on Coppell's rejection. It's deja-vu all over again.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Ooooooh how funny!

Love the way the now ex club lickers high-jack every thread to have a pop at TB because their beloved Dick got shown up as the nomark he is.

WAAAAWAAAAWAAAA I'm not in the inner circle anymore!!! :cry:

Anyone would think you lot would like to languish in the bottom leagues with no home, money or hope!?!

Who said that? But for all the criticism that has been meted out in Knight's direction (much of it fairly) there has to be a little bit of context. As said before, one man's strength is another man's weakness. By pointing out that the current incumbent is having the same difficulties as the previous incumbent and that perhaps some of those decisions were influenced by the current incumbent is not a negative point.

He's guaranteed the development of the stadium FFS so haw can be he painted as a bad person. However in the same way as you and many others have reminded us that having 'saved' the club doesn't absolve a person from comment where it's necessary, the same can be said about someone who has protected the future of the club

Stumpy Tim

The only manager definitely wrongly sacked I can remember was Wilkins, and Slade has been unlucky IMO. This isn't a shambles. The Wilkins situation was a shambles, and we had a new manager immediately on that occasion. Given we don't have a league game for another 8 days I don't mind this delay one bit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here