Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this another Albion management shambles?

Is this another Albion management appointment shambles?

• Yes

Votes: 106 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 95 47.3%

• Total voters

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Ed, you really do need to get over this Bloom-in-charge thing. It's not as if we weren't making managerial f*** ups under Knight is it?

If Bloom gets a reputation for hire em, fire em, it will only ultimately mean that ends up having to pay more for getting his man, nothing else really.

Yes I'd go with that. I did warn on my previous posts that i didn't think that Coppell would actually WANT the job. But he was the obvious candidate.

The trouble is Albion talk themselves up big, particularly in the "Argus". Remember that full-page headlined story that Paul Ince was THE ONE before Slade was appointed? Ince was never in the running but that did not stop all the speculation.

If Coppell didn't want the job there will be a lot of good ex-managers who do; why not get of TB's back and let him decide? After all, he's paying....

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Who said that?

Well you, Lord B and TLO on this thread.

But for all the criticism that has been meted out in Knight's direction (much of it fairly) there has to be a little bit of context. As said before, one man's strength is another man's weakness. By pointing out that the current incumbent is having the same difficulties as the previous incumbent and that perhaps some of those decisions were influenced by the current incumbent is not a negative point.

He's guaranteed the development of the stadium FFS so haw can be he painted as a bad person. However in the same way as you and many others have reminded us that having 'saved' the club doesn't absolve a person from comment where it's necessary, the same can be said about someone who has protected the future of the club

Face it, the club was going no where under Knight. It was being run like a village club where charity was more important than results. He was desperate to be director of football and not just a chairman. Bloom has come in ruffled a few feathers (including you lot) and started running the club like a business. Lo and behold things are getting done!! The ground is getting built and we've got a squad worth a few quid. Granted it's not performing at the moment but Bloom has realised that and done something about it.

So I'll ask again, would you rather the club languish in the bottom division in front of gates of 5k playing shit football at an embarrassment of a ground but you get to have your nice little love ins with the chairman. Or would you rather we actually did something?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Shambles. Whats the point in sacking Slade only to get something inferior.

Tony Bloom may be rich and thankfully has invested some of his riches into the Albion. But does he understand the workings of a football club and importantly is he any good at it? The managing side of a football club is so different to any other business. Maybe its something that you learn and perhaps needs to learn from people who have seen it, done it. Which goes back to Barry Lloyd and he advising the Blooms and perhaps needing to ask Uncle Dick instead.

So far, the jury is out but it aint looking good.

Stumpy Tim

WTF! 6 days after Slade leaving, and things aren't looking good? Have you seen the pictures at Falmer? Have you seen the money Bloom has been spending? What were you expecting - Capello signing on Monday? Some people really don't have a f***ing clue.

I really don't understand why rich people buy football clubs.. they can't win.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I suppose the crux of whether you think this is a shambles or not boils down to whether you agree with Slades sacking.

I thought he'd brought in some useful players and was moulding a decent squad for this league. Results so far had been disappointing, but we were not getting stuffed out of sight every week (only 2 defeats on the road so far), and we're only a couple of wins away from comfortable mid-table. Given that context, I think binning him after 15 games was a ridiculous decision, ESPECIALLY now we know there was nobody lined up to take the job. We're now thrown back into the unknown, back to square one, hoping to CHRIST we get someone who can build on what Slade has done so far.

So I'm firmly in the 'shambles' camp at the moment.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I can't believe we had no one lined up when Slade was sacked.....did the current management ( I use that term in the loosest of terms) think that the staff left over when sacking the manager, and coaching/assistant managment staff, were capable of stepping up straight away?

What I would do is make Barry LLoyd the caretaker manager straight away. Whatever you think about him, he has had experience at managing a football team with some degree of success.

Wouldn't give it to Lloyd but agree the smart thing would have been to sound people out before you sack Slade. Surely you have to do that?

We are in a mess. Everyone will now know they are second choice, at best, following Coppell's rejection. There is no obvious candidate and Bloom has out himself under a lot of pressure. He cannot afford to get this one wrong.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Well you, Lord B and TLO on this thread.

Face it, the club was going no where under Knight. It was being run like a village club where charity was more important than results. He was desperate to be director of football and not just a chairman. Bloom has come in ruffled a few feathers (including you lot) and started running the club like a business. Lo and behold things are getting done!! The ground is getting built and we've got a squad worth a few quid. Granted it's not performing at the moment but Bloom has realised that and done something about it.

So I'll ask again, would you rather the club languish in the bottom division in front of gates of 5k playing shit football at an embarrassment of a ground but you get to have your nice little love ins with the chairman. Or would you rather we actually did something?

Post of the year:thumbsup: and 100 per cent correct.Certain fans on this board hate that fact that their darling Knight has gone and will slag off bloom at any chance.
WITHOUT TONY BLOOM THIS CLUB WOULD OF DIED so let him get on with making us a proper club again....

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Tony Bloom may be rich and thankfully has invested some of his riches into the Albion. But does he understand the workings of a football club and importantly is he any good at it? The managing side of a football club is so different to any other business. Maybe its something that you learn and perhaps needs to learn from people who have seen it, done it. Which goes back to Barry Lloyd and he advising the Blooms and perhaps needing to ask Uncle Dick instead.

Come on, you're regarding TB like that prat Simon Jordan, a terrace-supporter dun good - or rather wealthy - but with no idea of club management.

Err, his grandfather was actually right hand man in your glory years, and according to Alan Mullery's autobiog was the only reason that he (Mullers) stuck the job for so long. The guy does actually have some family background.

That a ridiculous assertion to be making.

Apart from anything else, it implies that the new regime isn't talking to the people that the old regime did. And that is simply not the case.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
About 10 days too early to ask whether it is a shambles.

If Curbishley or Poyet is announced as the new manager tomorrow with Peter Taylor as number two, those pronouncing it a shambles already will look very silly.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Given that context, I think binning him after 15 games was a ridiculous decision, ESPECIALLY now we know there was nobody lined up to take the job.

That's the crux of it for me. I can understand having a manager scramble if we were in the same position with 15 games to play, but to bin him at this stage of the season with no-one lined up seems rather unbusiness like to me. I could understand it if RS unexpectedly resigned, but he didn't.

The only thing I can suggest in TB's defence, is that he sounded Coppell out before sacking RS, Coppell said yes in principal and has now decided against it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I disagree with your second point but I think you're on to something there. Assuming we're not going to get Wenger or Ferguson then the odds are that we'll get somebody who's managerial record is not materially any better than Slade's. Will it be worth it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My suspicion is that Slade should never have been sacked, but he should have been allowed to let White and Booker depart, and bring his own people in.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I suppose the crux of whether you think this is a shambles or not boils down to whether you agree with Slades sacking.

I thought he'd brought in some useful players and was moulding a decent squad for this league. Results so far had been disappointing, but we were not getting stuffed out of sight every week (only 2 defeats on the road so far), and we're only a couple of wins away from comfortable mid-table. Given that context, I think binning him after 15 games was a ridiculous decision, ESPECIALLY now we know there was nobody lined up to take the job. We're now thrown back into the unknown, back to square one, hoping to CHRIST we get someone who can build on what Slade has done so far.

He did bring SOME useful players but jury very much out on most. He also failed to make some key signings. Why didn't he sign a natural left footer who could play at left back? Instead we have been forced to play people out of position and we've all seen what that has meant. A big miss. Plus obvious need for a wise old head at centre half and at least one leader on the pitch which has been missing ever since Hammond was sold. That was bleedin obvious and would have been my first signing.

Having said all that, as my earlier post says, unless Bloom manages a real coup by getting a big name, which looks unlikely, we might end up with someone not even as good as Slade! It's a mess, again.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

I agree with this, don't agree with the sacking of Slade but would have been OK with it if Coppell had come in. However, to my mind no-one else we've been linked with inspires much confidence. What the F has Gus Poyet done in football management except be Dennis Wise's assistant for a bit?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
We simply don't know the real story. How would you react if someone criticised you when they didn't have all the facts?

In the end, it will be about who Bloom appoints, and how successful they are, to start criticizing the Chairman before he has even made his first appointment is crazy.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That a ridiculous assertion to be making.

Apart from anything else, it implies that the new regime isn't talking to the people that the old regime did. And that is simply not the case.

No shit sherlock! We're 12 (Twelve) years (about 10 too long) into a project, he'd be nuts not to talk to the people who have been involved with said project in that time.

However once that project is completed there is no reason why a) Martin Perry should remain at the club b) he needs to talk to any of you lot any more. The sooner both those things happen the better IMO.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Voted Yes, once again it seems all our plans hinged on one man who at the first time of asking firmly said no, fair play to Stevie saying no outright at the start so we didn't spend a long time trying to court him into a contract but it is entirely our fault that we don't seem to have much of a back up, i think if Bloom had simply rung up Coppel before Saturday and said the Brighton job may well be up for grabs soon, would you be interested and Coppel replied not at all then Slade would still be here

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He did bring SOME useful players but jury very much out on most. He also failed to make some key signings. Why didn't he sign a natural left footer who could play at left back? Instead we have been forced to play people out of position and we've all seen what that has meant. A big miss. Plus obvious need for a wise old head at centre half and at least one leader on the pitch which has been missing ever since Hammond was sold. That was bleedin obvious and would have been my first signing.

Having said all that, as my earlier post says, unless Bloom manages a real coup by getting a big name, which looks unlikely, we might end up with someone not even as good as Slade! It's a mess, again.

I'm not saying Slade was perfect by any means. There were still deficiencies in the squad that needed addressing, but we were clearly a work in progress. The squad was completely overhauled in the summer - frankly it would have been AMAZING if we were anything like the finished product by the end of the August transfer window, let alone two and a half months into the season. We've also been particularly unfortunate with injuries in certain positions.

I stand by my view that Slade needed (and deserved) more time to build on this squad. Instead, Bloom has hit the PANIC button 15 games in. Whether this proves to be a foolish decision, well, time will tell. But whoever comes in will be under MASSIVE pressure to achieve instant results, otherwise Slades sacking will begin looking worse and worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here