Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this another Albion management shambles?

Is this another Albion management appointment shambles?

• Yes

Votes: 106 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 95 47.3%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Apparently, the conversation was more along the lines of Dick Knight informing Micky that, while he (DK) would be prepared to back MA, the latter didn't have the full backing of the board, and Micky responding that if that was the case, he'd step down. Something like that.

'Mutual consent' it's euphemistically called.

And being messed about by Steve Coppell during the summer as well.

My two posts on this thread (this one is my third).

Well you, Lord B and TLO on this thread.

Out of that, where do you deduce the criticism of Tony Bloom?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I agree with you, TLO. A very odd assertion.

Mind you, it's equally baffling to me how Lord B has deduced that Arthur apparently believes the old regime isn't talking to the new, simply because Arthur asked him this question:

"So I'll ask again, would you rather the club languish in the bottom division in front of gates of 5k playing shit football at an embarrassment of a ground but you get to have your nice little love ins with the chairman. Or would you rather we actually did something?"

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
UNTIL Falmer is FINISHED, we are not a good bet in any manager's books, any half decent one will only look at clubs with 'proper' grounds and/or are in the Championship, otherwise it's out of work for a long time and need the money or up and coming ones, unless Bloom is paying mega, which I doubt with the stadium cost.
Can't criticize TB without him we'd be at Withdean for another 10 years, it's been crap for the last 5 so a bit longer won't make much difference but at least the club will have a solid base for the future once Falmer's finished.

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
In what way is it "not a shambles yet"?

The fact of the matter is that no one really knows what Bloom is thinking and what his strategy is, and so for people to be calling it a shambles without knowing anywhere near the full story is a bit silly in my opinion. Wait until another week or until the appointment has been made before you criticise the situation.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Of course, another thought could be that we have got someone lined up, but seeing as we do actually have a football match tomorrow that the caretakers have got to prepare us for, we're letting them and the players focus on that, rather than distract everyone with new manager annoucements.

Mind you, it's equally baffling to me how Lord B has deduced that Arthur apparently believes the old regime isn't talking to the new, simply because Arthur asked him this question:

"So I'll ask again, would you rather the club languish in the bottom division in front of gates of 5k playing shit football at an embarrassment of a ground but you get to have your nice little love ins with the chairman. Or would you rather we actually did something?"
Sorry. I guess this is personal.

Arthur invented the myth of the Falmer For All team being nothing but "club lickers" years ago - and has consistently slagged me off for being one of them. I happen to think that the FFA team's involvement with the club can't be dismissed as "a nice little love in with the chairman".

Arthur hasn't said that "the old regime isn't talking to the new". He has, however, implied that the Bloom regime isn't keeping up the relationship with the FFA team that Dick Knight developed. I'm simply saying that isn't the case.

With the rest of the FFA team, I've met Tony Bloom. I've met his brother, his uncle (and - outside any football context - even his father). There are further meetings with the board that are planned. If Arthur is implying that us "club lickers" are feeling excluded, all I am saying is that it doesn't feel like this from where I'm sitting.

Sorry.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'm not saying Slade was perfect by any means. There were still deficiencies in the squad that needed addressing, but we were clearly a work in progress. The squad was completely overhauled in the summer - frankly it would have been AMAZING if we were anything like the finished product by the end of the August transfer window, let alone two and a half months into the season. We've also been particularly unfortunate with injuries in certain positions.

I stand by my view that Slade needed (and deserved) more time to build on this squad. Instead, Bloom has hit the PANIC button 15 games in. Whether this proves to be a foolish decision, well, time will tell. But whoever comes in will be under MASSIVE pressure to achieve instant results, otherwise Slades sacking will begin looking worse and worse.

Agree with a lot of that and I am sad for Slade. Maybe he should have been given more time but how much longer do you give him when the team was so clearly going backwards? You can give him 10 games or so of the new season to settle, but by what, 15 odd games in, a third of the way through the season, the team should have begun to gel a bit. It wasn't, quite the reverse as Tranmere and Oldham showed.

I suppose if the results had continued to be poor (we'll never know now of course but the fixtures this month are very tough on paper) come the end of November, you then have to decide whether to back him in the January transfer window. By then, the liklihood was the team would have been firmly in the relegation zone with confidence even lower than it is now. So yes Bloom could have backed Slade with a few more games but the same thing almost certainly would have happened.

There was also a business motive for the sacking. TB knows, having lobbed in 90 million quid of his own cash into Falmer, that with the team at the bottom of the third division, is not going to even begin to fill attract the thousands of new fans who'll be needed to make Falmer work financially.

But I still can't believe no-one was lined up.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Ahhh sorry, I don't actually bother reading your posts any more. I just saw you posted and and assumed you were wetting your pants also.

My sincerest apologies.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Arthur invented the myth of the Falmer For All team being nothing but "club lickers" years ago - and has consistently slagged me off for being one of them. I happen to think that the FFA team's involvement with the club can't be dismissed as "a nice little love in with the chairman".

Arthur hasn't said that "the old regime isn't talking to the new". He has, however, implied that the Bloom regime isn't keeping up the relationship with the FFA team that Dick Knight developed. I'm simply saying that isn't the case.

With the rest of the FFA team, I've met Tony Bloom. I've met his brother, his uncle (and - outside any football context - even his father). There are further meetings with the board that are planned. If Arthur is implying that us "club lickers" are feeling excluded, all I am saying is that it doesn't feel like this from where I'm sitting.

Sorry.

CLANG, you appear to have a dropped a couple of names there. Thought that was TLO's game?

So if you don't feel excluded why have you gone from being the biggest club apologist to commenting on how badly you think the club is being run in every post you make?

What has TB done to upset you (apart from sacking Knight)?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Sorry.

Lord B, putting your spat with Arthur to one side, why, from the day it was announced that Bloom was taking over and rescuing us from a desperate position, do you continue to make at best questioning (at worst sly) comments about Bloom? Would appreciate an insight into your thoughts on Tony Bloom and why you appear not to be happy about him.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sack a man early on in his tenure.

Lose out in our pursuit for our chosen successor.

No obvious strategy to fill the hot seat.

Is this another classic Albion shambles?

Bozza
Administrator
said
"Coppell. Tomorrow"
The Wizard
Said
Will you ban yourself if your wrong?
Bozza
Administrator
said

Yep, I'll ban myself.

:bla:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
It was a shambles the second that Bloom listened to the MINORITY of fans and sacked Slade!

How long with Hinsh be allowed to be in charge of the team before all the people calling for Slades head start getting annoyed about the lack of a 'proper' manager?

Bloom didn't "listen to the minority of fans" - he's his own man and a very succesful one.

He simply reviewed what he saw as the risks and the potential returns and made what he considers to be a sound business decision.

We/you/I may disagree (or agree) with Bloom's decision to sack Slade but it's Bloom's money and Bloom's business - obviously with the support of his board.

We may think of it as "our club" but Business (unfortunatley) needs to take priority in order for the club and Falmer to stay viable. Sad but true. :shrug:

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
In reality how few of the posters here or indeed Albion fans in general know or proffess to know what is happening behind the scenes.

To those who have worked closely with the management of the club for reasons of the best intentions of the club I bow to you and if others feel slighted by this - then get over it.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
In reality how few of the posters here or indeed Albion fans in general know or proffess to know what is happening behind the scenes.

To those who have worked closely with the management of the club for reasons of the best intentions of the club I bow to you and if others feel slighted by this - then get over it.

Don't disagree, but when one of those who has worked closely with the former management of the club, and because of that is looked up to by some fans, surely its only fair to ask why he feels the need to keep sniping at the new chairman? Or do his past good deeds/special relationship mean we cant ask?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suppose the crux of whether you think this is a shambles or not boils down to whether you agree with Slades sacking.

I disagree with that. I was fully behind Slade, and think it is ridiculous that he was sacked.

However, I don't think it's even close to fair to be calling the current situation a shambles. It's been barely 5 days since Slade was sacked. Nine days until our next league game. Tony Bloom is taking his time to consider the applicants and a short list of players.

I want a good, thorough job done appointing the new manager, and that appears to be happening.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Don't disagree, but when one of those who has worked closely with the former management of the club, and because of that is looked up to by some fans, surely its only fair to ask why he feels the need to keep sniping at the new chairman? Or do his past good deeds/special relationship mean we cant ask?

Haven't seen or read into any comments which purport to be sniping.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I disagree with that. I was fully behind Slade, and think it is ridiculous that he was sacked.

However, I don't think it's even close to fair to be calling the current situation a shambles. It's been barely 5 days since Slade was sacked. Nine days until our next league game. Tony Bloom is taking his time to consider the applicants and a short list of players.

I want a good, thorough job done appointing the new manager, and that appears to be happening.

The time to call the scenario a shambles wull be on assessment of the new appointment. I am not sure how many Chairmen have a ready groomed successor in place when they give the incumbent the silver pay packet?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
No. A bit early to call it a shambles. It may only have been us on here getting excited about Coppell. Should we have had someone else lined up ? There are arguments for and against.

However - now just take your time. And as Wise has ruled himself out. So have I. Carry on Mr Bloom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here