Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
National Anthems should be in the Eurovision qualifying mode where a new one is selected from up and coming pretenders on an annual basis, it will keep it contemporary.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Embarrassed? Do I feel awkward, self-conscious, or ashamed? Nah.

I think it's unwarranted though. Act with class. Respect the opposing anthem, belt out GSTQ at max volume, and then let the opposition have it with both barrels when the game begins.

We beat Germany so some anti English oddballs will do what they can to put a downer on anything. Thankfully Germany don’t have a history of doing anything wrong like booing an anthem… :whistle:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As Southgate said after the game the best Wembley atmosphere he's known good to hear
the woke following on NSC need a cuddle by the sounds of things
Regards
DF

You're picking a fight with thin air again PPF. Most folk think the support was great tonight.

We are just having a sensible chat about how it might be nice if the national anthem of the visitors wasn't booed.

You see, some of us can support our team without being aggressively hostile towards others. It something we learnt when we grew up.

I like a good boo now and then myself.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Actually, they were very complementary about the team. There was no bitterness, just normal disappointment.

The issue with the British press, and even a prominent member of the House of Lords in Twitter tonight, is something we have often lamented with each other before.

Maybe Johnny Foreigner might just be a little more well disposed towards us if we didnt have this embarrassing sideshow.

Yes, I can agree completely with your German friend about the press and the things you mention. I suppose I would counter that they have pretty significant nationalist voices themselves but it doesn’t detract from the decency most Germans show. Same applies to us I think.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doesn’t fit in with the self flagellation and ‘I hate the English’ narrative. Goodness, NSC can be full of self loathing at times.

Come off it.

I didn't see any threads about the millions of people who didn't harrass Chris Whitty today, either.

You're normally sensible and balanced. That was crass.

I don't hate myself at all. I think I'm absolutely lovely, and I think most other people are too.

The dick heads, however.....:shrug:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The disrespect for Germany that’s been circulating around this match has been embarrassing.
Terrace chants about World War Two? Really?
I love our country but It is depressing how backward some compatriots are. Thankfully a minority.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I love it when football supporters make a stand agains terrorism.

:facepalm:

(You've been had on that one. You're better than that).

Taliban / IRA songs - not my thing but surely a stand against evil H?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think modern people care as much about nations as the older generations do.

We now realise that countries are completely imaginary and nothing to be offended about.

We also realise that anything said, sung or chanted at football matches is just pantomime.

Countries are completely imaginary? Ok. :facepalm:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Embarrassed? Do I feel awkward, self-conscious, or ashamed? Nah.

I think it's unwarranted though. Act with class. Respect the opposing anthem, belt out GSTQ at max volume, and then let the opposition have it with both barrels when the game begins.

Is the right answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think modern people care as much about nations as the older generations do.

We now realise that countries are completely imaginary and nothing to be offended about.

We also realise that anything said, sung or chanted at football matches is just pantomime.

I think that might depend on the nation. Possibly enhanced based on their modern history or aspirations.

The former Yugoslav peoples seem to be almost crying as their anthems are belted out, similarly Italians and sometimes the French.

Perhaps it helps when it’s an amazing piece of music. I love the Dutch, French and Italian anthems.

We’re unlucky with a boring one imho.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It takes the shine off, you know, dulls the sensation of sweet victory to know that I'm of the same species as a clinically obese xenophobic animal with his top off... fists clenched in an impotent rage, spittle projecting, drunk, sun burnt cretins one and all.

To be honest I was embarrassed listening and watching some of our fans, akin to caged beasts - totally ungracious and heading for a fall after the lords mayors show leaves town.

Mark me, the boulders are already rolling - it's too late for the pebbles to vote.

All of this, it makes me want to vomit. :rant:

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Haven’t seen any threads commenting on the good behaviour of England fans standing side by side with German fans in the stands without any hint of trouble.

You won't.

Out of interest how many years have England been booing the national anthem of the opposition??

Since i was going i remember it in the late 80s early 90s so what's the problem now then?????

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Come off it.

I didn't see any threads about the millions of people who didn't harrass Chris Whitty today, either.

You're normally sensible and balanced. That was crass.

I don't hate myself at all. I think I'm absolutely lovely, and I think most other people are too.

The dick heads, however.....:shrug:

There are a few posts on this thread where people say they are embarrassed to be English. I was just a little surprised to be reading this on the night we beat Germany 2-0. If there was even one German in that crowd who was actually offended by the booing I would be amazed.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Maybe Johnny Foreigner might just be a little more well disposed towards us if we didnt have this embarrassing sideshow.

Forget football for a minute. We live in a very diverse, multicultural society with, comparitevely speaking - things aren't perfect, very few problems and a minor far right presence compared to many other western countries, including Germany in fact.

Football remains very tribal in this country at a national level for a certain section of England fans who attend games; there's not so much of a differentiation between club and country for those, for better or worse. Im sure it exists abroad too, but the more ultra, working class fans in a lot of western countries don't seem to attend national games - seems a lot more middle class, including Germany if you take the fans that seemed to be in attendance tonight as an example compared to games I've been to in Germany - pretty bloody rough.

That's all there is to it. Hardly representative of society at large.

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
All of this, it makes me want to vomit. :rant:

You, you point your finger
Stare, you feel no shame
Raise your hand in anger
Swear that I'm insane.

You, you smell my freedom
Makes you squirm because I smile
How you hate my long hair
Call my music vile.

You call me a junkie
Call me filth and scum
Keep me from your daughter
But my time will surely come.

You, you joined the army
Fought a bloody war
Came home with a trophy
Turned into a bore.

You, you think you're civilised
With your connections you can't fail
But you treat your wife and family
Like you bought them in a sale.

You, you're blind to beauty
Only power can quench your thirst
You scream to bring back birching
Keep a list who should be first.

You, you slowly fester
Gripped by your disease
Despise your next door neighbour
Strange he feels like me.

Me I've felt your anger
Me I've felt your scorn
Me I don't know nothing
Me I've just been born
Me I m slowly learning
To bide my time and wait
Me I've grown accustomed
To the burden of your hate.

But remember when you point and stare
And wave your arms up in the air
When you ******** die
We'll still be here, then we'll take over.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The hostile atmosphere was tremendous and the passion of the Wembley crowd made a real difference today ... resisting the wokeification of football is an ongoing battle especially in these parts where we seem to be heavily afflicted. Nothing wrong with a bit of law abiding jingoistic partisan tribalism [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
We beat Germany so some anti English oddballs will do what they can to put a downer on anything. Thankfully Germany don’t have a history of doing anything wrong like booing an anthem… :whistle:

anti English oddball, nsc knitting circle :lolol: the things people say to justify cringeworthy behaviour and whataboutery

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here