Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Come off it.

I didn't see any threads about the millions of people who didn't harrass Chris Whitty today, either.

You're normally sensible and balanced. That was crass.

I don't hate myself at all. I think I'm absolutely lovely, and I think most other people are too.

The dick heads, however.....:shrug:

I think the point I was trying to make I my OP was that England fans are always given bad press, sometimes deserved sometimes not.
But was has passed people by is the good nature of the fans in the stadium with no segregation.
Very different from previous tournaments we have been involved in.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
You're picking a fight with thin air again PPF. Most folk think the support was great tonight.

We are just having a sensible chat about how it might be nice if the national anthem of the visitors wasn't booed.

You see, some of us can support our team without being aggressively hostile towards others. It something we learnt when we grew up.

I like a good boo now and then myself.

This

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, I can agree completely with your German friend about the press and the things you mention. I suppose I would counter that they have pretty significant nationalist voices themselves but it doesn’t detract from the decency most Germans show. Same applies to us I think.

Yes. And that was the direction of my counsel. Trying to counter the negative image it portrays. She understood that, but having experienced xenophobia after Brexit, I can see why it might trouble her more than it should.

When I was told about what was said to her I think I was just as upset as she was. So I can see why my own sensitivity is so strong.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
anti English oddball, nsc knitting circle :lolol: the things people say to justify cringeworthy behaviour and whataboutery

Not condoning it but happens all the time everywhere “. We just beat the Germans - ENJOY!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Great result tonight, but the booing and disrespect of the oppositions national anthem I find absolutely embarrassing.

I could not give a flying toss!

No one got hurt physically, the Germans expect it from us, and it is irrelevant in the big scheme of things. Do I support booing of every other national anthem? No.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Forget football for a minute. We live in a very diverse, multicultural society with, comparitevely speaking - things aren't perfect, very few problems and a minor far right presence compared to many, many other western ountries, including Germany in fact.
Football remains very tribal in this country at a national level for a certain section of England fans who attend games; there's not so much of a differentiation between club and country for those, for better or worse. Im sure it exists abroad too, but the more ultra style fans in countries don't seem to attend national games - seems a lot more middle class.
That's all there is to it. Hardly representative of society at large.

I can understand rivalry eg CP versus Albion, I get the hate, it’s in the DNA. (For some more than others).

Internationally also, as the other 4 nations in these isles, all patently want us to fail at sport.

I just don’t get the German obsession. In the real world, they’ve been close friends of the UK for 76 years, I follow business, where they admire us. They’re good people, we have so much in common with them, as we do with the Dutch, Austrians and Nordic nations.

It’s not a clever, ironic rivalry from our boo-ers.

More a tabloid inspired, immature display of dimness.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
In that regard, the English who boo another nation's national anthem are like the Bachman Turner Overdrive fans who booed the support act when I saw them in London nearly 40 years ago

(The support act were....Thin Lizzy...Jailbreak vintage :facepalm:)

Apropos of nothing, many nations would benefit from an anthem upgrade. For example, I think the Irish would do a lot better if their anthem was diddly diddly music. Can I say that? Too late now...)

I have always been puzzled why the Indian National anthem isn’t Indian musi, and why the Chinese National anthem isn’t Chinese music.

Our National anthem is embarrassing enough, a nation of 65 million, and our anthem is about one person of German- Scottish heritage., without booing another nations whose title song is usually much better than ours.

But, hey ho, it’s not the most embarrassing thing about this country, at the moment.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thick headed morons who show a lack of class. Just makes me hate being English. But then so much of society is like this now. I think I just hate the human race.

3591FF5A-504C-47EA-A8C2-CA340DAAD4C7.png

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I could not give a flying toss!

No one got hurt physically, the Germans expect it from us, and it is irrelevant in the big scheme of things. Do I support booing of every other national anthem? No.

I don't know that they do expect it. Just makes us look Noddy and cretinous IMO, and TBH I hate it when it's done to us especially by the sweaties, but as Sheebo says I'm enjoying the win.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Haven’t seen any threads commenting on the good behaviour of England fans standing side by side with German fans in the stands without any hint of trouble.

That's because we won 2-0, and didn't lose 2-0.

(I'm playing devil's advocate a tad here)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here