Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Thick headed morons who show a lack of class. Just makes me hate being English. But then so much of society is like this now. I think I just hate the human race.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Embarrassed? Do I feel awkward, self-conscious, or ashamed? Nah.

I think it's unwarranted though. Act with class. Respect the opposing anthem, belt out GSTQ at max volume, and then let the opposition have it with both barrels when the game begins.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Booing taking of the knee, and booing a national anthem, are two extremely different things.

Taking the knee is a current and very real political issue of today.

National anthems are archaic relics of a nationalist and war stricken past in human history.

If anything, we should stop playing national anthems at the football at all.

... and we should definitely not be fussed if people boo them. What are they even representing??

National anthems are to do with national identities, and nothing to with wars. Shall we ban all the flags as well?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Haven’t seen any threads commenting on the good behaviour of England fans standing side by side with German fans in the stands without any hint of trouble.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be honest, the English national anthem is dull as ****.

In that regard, the English who boo another nation's national anthem are like the Bachman Turner Overdrive fans who booed the support act when I saw them in London nearly 40 years ago

(The support act were....Thin Lizzy...Jailbreak vintage :facepalm:)

Apropos of nothing, many nations would benefit from an anthem upgrade. For example, I think the Irish would do a lot better if their anthem was diddly diddly music. Can I say that? Too late now...)

Jan 30, 2008
I knew it was coming and the North Stand Knitting Circle would be out in force tonight. I enjoyed it so much I'm still booing now. My wife brought me a cup of tea in and I booooood her out the room. I'll still be booing in my sleep tonight. Booooooooo!

As Southgate said after the game the best Wembley atmosphere he's known good to hear
the woke following on NSC need a cuddle by the sounds of things
Regards
DF

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Definitely the case of he who hasn't sinned can cast the first stone here. Fair enough if you've never booed anyone or anything at a football match. But if you have, not sure you have much room to talk. For example, I remember the majority of the Amex booing Alex Pritchard for the sin of choosing Norwich over us. If you want to look at it seriously, thousands and thousands of fans chose to intimidate one single person for, in the grand scheme of things, absolutely nothing.

But this is football. It's all a bit of a pantomime. If we're choosing lesser evils, I'd rather indiscriminately boo a nation's anthem and offend no one person in particular, rather than hone in on one person (referee, opposition player etc) and make it personal, something which could very deeply affect them mentally.

I was at home and yes, I joined in booing the German's national anthem - with a wry smile on my face. I love Germany as a nation - its language, its people and its culture. I've lived there before. But this is football and that, for me, was a bit of fun. Just like the vast majority of jestful, harmless yet derogatory songs chanted at opposition teams at almost every football game.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A German friend is unhappy tonight ? Well, that’s not unexpected. I would be unhappy if we lost and having a dig at the home support is par for the course under those circumstances. Bit of a cheap shot though. I thought the home support was outstanding.

Actually, they were very complementary about the team. There was no bitterness, just normal disappointment.

The issue with the British press, and even a prominent member of the House of Lords in Twitter tonight, is something we have often lamented with each other before.

Maybe Johnny Foreigner might just be a little more well disposed towards us if we didnt have this embarrassing sideshow.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Most wanky behaviour goes over my head, I was embarrassed to be English when that booing started. Despicable lack of respect

But I am old school, so probably out of touch

I'm old school too, and to b quite honest l'm happy to be considered out of touch, if the modern way is to behave in such an appalling fashion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Even heard a few sing ‘no surrender’ as part of the anthem - surely racist or some sort of PC wrong singing… or making a stand against evil terrorists :shrug:

I love it when football supporters make a stand agains terrorism.

:facepalm:

(You've been had on that one. You're better than that).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here