Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't like it because, as much as it may seem like pantomime, there is no need for it. I find it a little embarrassing.

I been having a long conversation with a German friend tonight who said the following:

'The English team is really likeable, they play nice football, and they've come a long way. A commentator on German TV said he's happy for them, after all the attacks they had to endure in recent times. It would be really easy (to support them now), if it wasn't for the nationalistic horribleness that surrounded tonight's match. According to the British gutter press, the National team went to war against Germany tonight...'

This is a real summary for me of why I find all this shit cringe worthy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's not a waste of time at all. Geniunely curious now.

If the opposition booed our national anthem, I wouldn't give a shite. I don't understand why anyone would give a shite.

If anything, it's to be expected, within the pantomime of football ???

Or are people saying that national anthems are somehow exempt from that - in that they are some way sacred, and they should be an observation of something somewhat relevant or important?

Bizarre.

It seldom, if ever happens, at that volume at rugby internationals. You are not having a laugh at the opposition when you boo, you are being disrespectful to a country. It doesn’t sit well with me, each to their own though.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Great result tonight, but the booing and disrespect of the oppositions national anthem I find absolutely embarrassing.

Yes, and of course the small minority booing England players 'taking the knee'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I suspect the only people in that country that would be even remotely offended by that are ultra nationalists and the opposition fans...

So no harm done imo.

As I said, waste of time trying to explain :smile:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It seldom, if ever happens, at that volume at rugby internationals. You are not having a laugh at the opposition when you boo, you are being disrespectful to a country. It doesn’t sit well with me, each to their own though.

It's racist, it's tribal it's the go to default setting of someone who's angry and hate filled yet lacks the wit to comprehend why.

It's a measure of intelligence, plain and simple. If you're a student perhaps it's ironic, funny (in an ironic, hard but not hard - clearly - kind of way) like eating cheese doritos for a month to see if you turn orange ... if you're a grown up, well - you're either ignorant or a racist.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
It is embarrassing and outdated. Plus it is only going to fire up the opposition more.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I can't decide

- on the one hand football is indeed "panto" with drama of heroes and villains, glory and humiliation and, yes, let's make the atmosphere uncomfortable and hostile for the opposition like you see in Turkey etc.

- on the other, it does make me cringe a bit, it is disrespectful to that nation aswell as the team and it does reek of never being able to forget The War(s). And, currently, I would much prefer to boo a country like Hungary than a more tolerant, open and accepting place like Germany.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here