Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Hampden park 1987 the Scots wouldn't even play GSTQ and that day the Scottish anthem was Scotland the Brave,now that's rude .

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't like it because, as much as it may seem like pantomime, there is no need for it. I find it a little embarrassing.

I been having a long conversation with a German friend tonight who said the following:

'The English team is really likeable, they play nice football, and they've come a long way. A commentator on German TV said he's happy for them, after all the attacks they had to endure in recent times. It would be really easy (to support them now), if it wasn't for the nationalistic horribleness that surrounded tonight's match. According to the British gutter press, the National team went to war against Germany tonight...'

This is a real summary for me of why I find all this shit cringe worthy.

A German friend is unhappy tonight ? Well, that’s not unexpected. I would be unhappy if we lost and having a dig at the home support is par for the course under those circumstances. Bit of a cheap shot though. I thought the home support was outstanding.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No.

Want to see childishness? European nations never giving the UK a point in Eurovision.

Tonight wasn't a (lack of) talent competition, though.bAnd there is a difference between nul pointes and actual booing.

I thought the booing was a bit wanky, but I wasn't really bothered. The whole world already knows about 'the English football hooligan' and it's twattish ways.

I was heartened however by the relative failure of the wankers to make much impression with their booing of the knee taking. Drowned out :shrug:

But I suspect there are some weirdos who would rather see England knocked out than go on and win the tournament, with the knee relentlessly taken, and it noted as a thing. Now that is the attitude of unpatriotic scum :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Bizarre as it sounds I kind of expect it from and against the Scots and Welsh, but not from England when it’s other countries in the world.

Hypocrite that I am, but I wouldn’t join in

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great result tonight, but the booing and disrespect of the oppositions national anthem I find absolutely embarrassing.

It just makes us like a small country. Apart from home nations doing it to one another, I don't think anyone else routinely does it

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is embarrassing and outdated. Plus it is only going to fire up the opposition more.

And what do you know about football? ???

Oh, hang on.....:facepalm:

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dwell on a negative = typical certain English - always need some negative to moan about :facepalm:

Ps - no I don’t boo an anthem ever but I think it’s been a case of retaliation sometimes. But really… it happens a lot in all sorts of countries ffs.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dont you just love these threads :)
Regards
DF

Even heard a few sing ‘no surrender’ as part of the anthem - surely racist or some sort of PC wrong singing… or making a stand against evil terrorists :shrug:

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Yes. Luckily it didn’t effect outcome but our players must have thought what absolute bellends those who booed are

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Dont you just love these threads :)
Regards
DF

I knew it was coming and the North Stand Knitting Circle would be out in force tonight. I enjoyed it so much I'm still booing now. My wife brought me a cup of tea in and I booooood her out the room. I'll still be booing in my sleep tonight. Booooooooo!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The thing is that by booing the anthem, we give the opposition strength. Be respectful ffs and show your as good morally.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No.

Want to see childishness? European nations never giving the UK a point in Eurovision.

Never? I think you’re very wrong. We’ve won it 5 times, and been runner up 15 times. It would help if we actually had some decent songs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here