Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think I nearly got beaten up at the game last night!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Good post Deportivo. Or as that favourite son of Sussex, Rudyard Kipling, put it:

It's Johnny this and Johnny that
And Johnny go away
But it's please sir, Mr Atkins
When the guns begin to play.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Super little thread, this one. Much better than concluding that not all of the armed forces are heroes but that they all deserve a certain amount respect on page 1.

pop.jpg

crisps.jpg

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Goldstone....... it's fine to have opinions but surely you knew a comment like that was going to upset someone? Every opınion does not have to be aired in public unless you are prepared to accept the consequences. Granted violence is not the answer but let's just say one of those fans had just lost their son or brother in Afghanistan..... it might have been understandable eh?

Hero is a dodgy word. Anyone who can stand in a war zone is a hero of a kind because most of us would just be scared shitless.

In my opinion Aghanistan was right and Iraq was wrong but politicians and the soldiers who follow orders and die are not cut from the same cloth.

Junior, keep safe and come home safe and remember your duty is to protect EVERY home from rape.... whether it be Muslim or Irish nationalist.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
A great friend of mine is off to Afghanistan soon. He is a Captain for the Royal Engineers and there is always that nagging feeling that you might not see him again.

He joined he army, not with the sole intention of fighting in a certain war. He joined to serve the country and wherever that takes him. He is a hero in my eyes, as are those that have served before him and will serve after him. Anyone that is willing to put their lives at risk in the line of duty is a hero to me.

I've got a mate going off to Afghan next week - i'm bricking it currently!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Cor this is a debate!!!

I don't know much on the subject except the forces isn't for me but i do respect those who have the BALLS to do this...

A mate of mine (Palace Fan insidently) has just come back and gone off to Aff again last week - i wish him all the best cos it must be hard...

JUNIOR - Hello mate how ya doing? Aint seen ya for ages mate. Hope all's well and good luck out there mate - STAY SAFE! :thumbsup:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
if someone tried to rape me id be ready and waiting, it wouldnt really be rape id enjoy it, so dont worry you dont have to protect us all!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Iran and Afghanistan aren't wars anyway.

They are skermishes.

In both cases the British army is now working with the elected governments on maintaining peace and helping rebuild areas.

That's not a war, so they aren't 'war heroes' perse.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I have a mate who is off to Afghanistan in a few weeks. Told him about this post and he asked me to post his response. As he wrote so much I feel obliged:

As a member of our Armed Forces for the last 16 years (and life long
Albion
supporter), I feel that we are lucky enough to live in one of the most
liberal, affluent and tolerant countries in the world. In this
democratic
society we take freedom of speech for granted, I have served in a
number of
countries where this is not the case - maybe think about the sacrifice
others have give that enable us to have this right. As a point of
fact,
when a service man or women 'joins up' they swear an oath of allegiance
to
the Monarch, and NOT the government of the day or the policy they
create. I
would like the people who have posted more negative comments to think
about
that, it is a job, however we cannot pick and chose which bits we want
to
do, and our own personal views are put to one side in service on our
country, and the orders given by the democratically elected government,
how
did you last vote?

I don't expect every body to agree with what is currently happening in
Afghanistan and Iraq (I doubt all servicemen do), but please think
about the
individuals and their loved ones who are putting there lives at risk in
the
name of the United Kingdom...and the only perk is that they might get a
t-shirt from Soccer AM!

These are difficult times for our Services who are going to dangerous
places
with the aim of making them better for the people who live there, and
creating a safer world....I will be deploying to Afghanistan in around
weeks time.

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Im off to Afghanistan next friday for 6 months.
Its not my choice to decide where i go,but rest assured if it ever comest to defending my country on these shores i'll make sure im near your house and i'll be quite happy to let any foreign soldier into your house to RAPE you and your family!!!!
COCK.
I dont think people join the Army especialy to go and fight uninvited in other coutries.
BTW,im not into politics,but i think you'll find we are invited and welcomed by the governments into both Iraq and Afghan.Could be wrong like......
typical.

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
we cannot pick and chose which bits we want to do, and our own personal views are put to one side in service on our country, and the orders given by the democratically elected government, how did you last vote?

i don't know anyone who voted for brown and yet our boys are still out there. so how does that make any sense?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I certainly feel for the forces abroad and I can't see how anyone could critisize what they do. Maybe the choice to join the forces is questionable but ultimately we need our forces.
When my stepbrother came back from Iraq in the nineties he said that he certainly didn't feel like a hero and more like he had been sold out.
I think that the troops have been sold out and this is why they deserve respect more than any so called "heroics".

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Maybe it's time the English left their troops at home.

It's been what 800 years? of leaving their own shores and killing other peoples in their own nations many of whom were merely defending their own lands.

Why not use their manpower and skills to do work internally rather than externally.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You see military heroes talking about some extraordinary act of courage that they have done on the field of battle (whether it be on ground, sea or skies), and very often they will reply to the accolade; "I was just doing my job"

Maybe heroism is NOT 'extraordinary', and to a person with courage to 'do their job' to the degree that they are not putting personal safety before duty, it is JUST them doing their job. What can be heard in those simple words, is that they consider the rest of the men and women alongside them, involved with the same intent as them, as the same 'stuff' as they are made of, and just doing the same job.

Where is the heroism? Perhaps the "extraordinary act" I speak of, is deeper rooted in the longer business, in the course of joining up to serve their country, of training, getting up in the twilight to wash in freezing water and get shouted at and crawl in mud and learn to dismantle a weapon and put it back together in minutes and run for miles wearing heavy boots carrying weight and heaving themselves over ropes and wire and digging a trench in rocks and dirt and learning to use radar and electronics and fine-tuning a gun-sight and reading a compass and working out map degree references and jumping from miles high hoping the chute they packed will open ......and and and.

Where collateral damage on the battlefield is shipped away to become personal damage for a lifetime of difficulty, of anguish, of disability - all their regret should be deflected away by those who did NOT go and serve and put their life on a line and risk it all. They not only deserve respect, they have earned every scrap - because it's acknowledgement of ALL the men and women who put themselves there as 'collateral', who knowingly placed themselves in some strange position in the World to be hated and attacked by strangers.

Goddamnit goldstone you give RESPECT to those people, and if you cannot bring it upon yourself to do that small thing for people who have done something greater than you can have ever dreamed - then you slink away with your opinion firmly under your own hat, where it can stink up that place and not contaminate anywhere outside of it.

That's all.

Post of the day

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I certainly feel for the forces abroad and I can't see how anyone could critisize what they do. Maybe the choice to join the forces is questionable but ultimately we need our forces.
When my stepbrother came back from Iraq in the nineties he said that he certainly didn't feel like a hero and more like he had been sold out.
I think that the troops have been sold out and this is why they deserve respect more than any so called "heroics".
Post of the day

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Col's back and in form

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here