Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think I nearly got beaten up at the game last night!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
What about the british contractors who put their lives at risk rebuilding the country's infrastructure.

Are they heroes too?

What a stupid comparison they are there because of the financial reward and choose to go there (rightly or wrongly). I do not agree with either war but from my time in the Air Force I don't ever remember being given a choice which wars/conflicts/call them what you want I would like to participate in.

By signing up you have made the choice to server your country and trust in the powers that be (although that may be foolish) you have made that sacrifice and should be respected for it.

For me they are heroes and deserve our respect and your comments where stupid, insensitive and ignorant.

Its not my choice to decide where i go,but rest assured if it ever comest to defending my country on these shores i'll make sure im near your house and i'll be quite happy to let any foreign soldier into your house to RAPE you and your family!!!!

Well I don't know about you lot but I know I'll sleep sounder in my bed tonight knowing our boys are watching over us.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
they came into the changing room before the game. looking around you could see in the eyes the horrors that had been witnessed. the sheer look of desperation at the thought that they would have to go to battle in a barren, deserted hell-hole once again. and the army lads weren't looking too good either!

WA-HEY!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I explained (or attempted to) that in my view war "heroes" were soldiers who defended their country, not ones who went off to fight uninvited in other countries.
Im off to Afghanistan next friday for 6 months.

Its not my choice to decide where i go,but rest assured if it ever comest to defending my country on these shores i'll make sure im near your house and i'll be quite happy to let any foreign soldier into your house to RAPE you and your family!!!!

COCK.

I dont think people join the Army especialy to go and fight uninvited in other coutries.

BTW,im not into politics,but i think you'll find we are invited and welcomed by the governments into both Iraq and Afghan.Could be wrong like......

Comments like that are the sort of things that make me question people in the Forces.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I explained (or attempted to) that in my view war "heroes" were soldiers who defended their country, not ones who went off to fight uninvited in other countries.

Comments like that are the sort of things that make me question people in the Forces.

Didn't the Afghan elected governmet request nato forces assistance in protecting itself against the threat of teh Taliban from pakistan and the South of the country, and also request a hand in training its newly formed army after the Taliban were defeated and driven South?

Or perhaps we just decided to go in on a whim

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
What a stupid comparison they are there because of the financial reward and choose to go there (rightly or wrongly). I do not agree with either war but from my time in the Air Force I don't ever remember being given a choice which wars/conflicts/call them what you want I would like to participate in.

By signing up you have made the choice to server your country and trust in the powers that be (although that may be foolish) you have made that sacrifice and should be respected for it.

For me they are heroes and deserve our respect and your comments where stupid, insensitive and ignorant.

I don't think it's a stupid comparison. They are both jobs that carry the same risk, (dying or being maimed), in the same country.

A job is not heroic an individuals actions are.

Didn't the Afghan elected governmet request nato forces assistance in protecting itself against the threat of teh Taliban from pakistan and the South of the country, and also request a hand in training its newly formed army after the Taliban were defeated and driven South?

Or perhaps we just decided to go in on a whim

The fact is that regardless of what the dubiously elected Afghan government did or didn't ask for, they are only in place because US forces invaded and kicked the Taliban out of formal power.
I do however think they were right to do this (unlike the invasion of Iraq) and that it is justified to send British troops in. It is just very unfortunate, as has been pointed out all ready on this thread, that it was the US that kept the Taliban going against the Russians. Had the US stayed out of it in the 80's then there would in all likelyhood not be the problems we see today, and British lives would not be under threat.

You see military heroes talking about some extraordinary act of courage that they have done on the field of battle (whether it be on ground, sea or skies), and very often they will reply to the accolade; "I was just doing my job"

Maybe heroism is NOT 'extraordinary', and to a person with courage to 'do their job' to the degree that they are not putting personal safety before duty, it is JUST them doing their job. What can be heard in those simple words, is that they consider the rest of the men and women alongside them, involved with the same intent as them, as the same 'stuff' as they are made of, and just doing the same job.

Where is the heroism? Perhaps the "extraordinary act" I speak of, is deeper rooted in the longer business, in the course of joining up to serve their country, of training, getting up in the twilight to wash in freezing water and get shouted at and crawl in mud and learn to dismantle a weapon and put it back together in minutes and run for miles wearing heavy boots carrying weight and heaving themselves over ropes and wire and digging a trench in rocks and dirt and learning to use radar and electronics and fine-tuning a gun-sight and reading a compass and working out map degree references and jumping from miles high hoping the chute they packed will open ......and and and.

Where collateral damage on the battlefield is shipped away to become personal damage for a lifetime of difficulty, of anguish, of disability - all their regret should be deflected away by those who did NOT go and serve and put their life on a line and risk it all. They not only deserve respect, they have earned every scrap - because it's acknowledgement of ALL the men and women who put themselves there as 'collateral', who knowingly placed themselves in some strange position in the World to be hated and attacked by strangers.

Goddamnit goldstone you give RESPECT to those people, and if you cannot bring it upon yourself to do that small thing for people who have done something greater than you can have ever dreamed - then you slink away with your opinion firmly under your own hat, where it can stink up that place and not contaminate anywhere outside of it.

That's all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In the all-time list of "wish I didn't start that thread" category, this has got to be up there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Im off to Afghanistan next friday for 6 months.

COCK.

I dont think people join the Army especialy to go and fight uninvited in other coutries.

BTW,im not into politics,but i think you'll find we are invited and welcomed by the governments into both Iraq and Afghan.Could be wrong like......

This post just goes to show how thick and stupid the armed forces are. The UK were NOT invited into Sadam's Iraq. And threatening a poster with rape just goes to show the mentality of the armed forces.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
..and driving a tank around Heathrow to prevent terrorism. Where do the army and government dream these ideas up?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I had to sit near this prick and he feels he need to share his views on everything during the match and very loudly. Fair enough have your views but don't broadcast them to the whole stand.

As for his half time comment he should have clearly kept that to himself.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
This post just goes to show how thick and stupid the armed forces are. The UK were NOT invited into Sadam's Iraq. And threatening a poster with rape just goes to show the mentality of the armed forces.
Fair enough but what does this crass generalisation tell us about the arrogance of some liberals?
I was also against Mr Blair's war in Iraq.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I cannot speak for the RAF and I was too young to remember my Dad in the Navy but I have spent a lot of time around Army recruits, did my basic training with the Army and have since spent a lot of time around them for various reasons.

One thing that strikes me with Army recruits, those going in as Privates, is the air of blind obedience that hangs over them. (necessary for combat i'm sure). Most of them really are empty vessels waiting to be given orders and this makes me feel very sad for them because I genuinely don't think they know what they are getting into. They really do seem like they are being taken advantage of.

Respect to them for their courage in Combat but they seem so unwitting rather than actually keen to defend their country. They actually reminded me of chavs to a large degree.

Also, for whatever reason, I have never seen a group of people get into so much trouble when out in town as new Army recruits. Frustration maybe?

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Read the book Bloody Heroes by Damien Lewis, which is about about the battle for Qala-I-Janghi, then come back and tell me that the guys fighting in Afghanistan are not heroes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here